Tomb Raider(PS1)
    Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
    Tekken 3 (PS1)
    Driver (PS1)
    Final Fantasy X
    GTA: Vice City (PS2)
    Ico (PS2)
    Okami (PS2)

...presently playing Black on PS2....then God Of War I & II.

Quote Originally Posted by Anderai View Post
    Frontier Elite 2 (Amiga)
    I always wanted to get Elite on the NES. I love games like that where there's a whole universe to explore. The PC versions are available as free downloads now.

What decent modern equivalents are there?

Ico is the best game I have ever played.
    Resident Evil 4 is a close second, I think.

I recall that the first Tomb Raider was pretty mind-blowing. Even watching my friend play was entertaining. I presume that it hasn't aged well, so I doubt I'd ever revisit it.

Mario Kart / Speedball 2 / Street Fighter 2 will always be fun.

I always liked the idea of Speedball 2 more then the reality. The gameplay seemed kind of low resolution and samey to me, compared to the endless majesty of Kick Off 2.

Anyway let's not forget Super Bomberman for never ending multi-player fun. Plus you'd never be able to market a game like that these days.

Kick Off 2 Online - Vous ne rÍvez pas, vous allez pouvoir jouer ŗ Kick Off 2 en ligne!

c64s.com - classic Commodore 64 games online

Quote Originally Posted by hint View Post
    Kick Off 2 Online - Vous ne rÍvez pas, vous allez pouvoir jouer ŗ Kick Off 2 en ligne!
    zut alors! i may just give that a go.

deus ex is the best game ever

Okami (PS2)
    I saw this in HMV second hand the other day actually. I've only played a bit of it (got the first two painting skills) but it's magnificently done..
    in the eyes of the lord i drive a spaceship.

i have still yet to play a multiplayer fps that gets things as RIGHT as the first quake did.

there has also never been a finer or a less forgiving multiplayer map created than quake 1's DM4

Quote Originally Posted by UFO over easy View Post
    deus ex is the best game ever
    yes its a masterpiece and almost forgotten by the current gaming generation sadly. i mean i loved bioshock it was touted as an open-ended magnum opus but compared to deus ex its as linear as space invaders.

I haven't been a gamer since my teens, but I picked up Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare on Friday (for the PS3). Some of the levels are simply awesome (sniping, Tsjernobyl, rescuing your injured commander by carrying him on your back, shooting from a gunship chopper, night goggles etc).

This is the sort of gaming graphics and gameplay I was dreaming about when playing Commando and Green Beret (and friendlier games like the classic Jumpman and Attack of the Mutant Camels) on the Commodore 64 (although I still struggle a little bit with the PS3 control, being an old school joystick man).

I know it is a "just another" first person shooter, but for someone just picking up on gaming again the leap in technology is finally there (the PS1/2 never impressed me much).
    I will not be buying Clive Barker's Jericho though, tried the demo - but controlling the gun was like holding jelly.

---

Where are the female soldiers in modern games? Thought we lived in the 21st century.
    Ness Rowlah

Well I finally picked up a Wii so I could play Mario Galaxy. Beautiful game. Nintendo at their best, constantly surprising and pulling out new bits of gameplay. I'm about halfway through and loving it.

Back on topic I have to recommend the gaming blog My Spazz for genuinely funny take on gaming...

Zero Punctuation's weekly game reviews are great, even if you don't care about games.

I had to jump in with my top ten:

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    2. Shadowrun (SNES)
    3. Earthbound (SNES, Mother 2 on the Super Famicom)
    4. Streetfighter II Turbo Edition (Arcade)
    5. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
    6. Halo 3 (XBOX 360/PS3)
    7. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
    8. Super Monkey Ball 2 (Turtles is right, this game is brilliant. Monkey Golf, Monkey Fight and all the sub games are incredible)
    9. Bomberman (Any version)
    10. Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun (PC)

Just purchased an Xbox 360 Elite about a fortnight ago (already have a PC, PS1 and PS) and got Halo 3, The Orange Box....and downloaded the full version of Geometry Wars.

Beating each other's high scores in GW has become an obsession for me and my mates...

I chose the Xbox as my next gen console 'cos there's nothing on the PS3 that grabs me and Sony seems to have momentarily forgotten what made them unbeatable with the PS1/2. A couple of years ago I would never have considered buying a Microsoft console. Having said that I do get slightly nervous about the 'Red Ring Of Death' happening......3 year Microsoft warranty 'an all. One of my mates just got his back last Monday from Microsoft with a new motherboard fitted, he'd had it a year...

Quote Originally Posted by MATT MAson View Post

Super Monkey Ball 2 (Turtles is right, this game is brilliant. Monkey Golf, Monkey Fight and all the sub games are incredible)
    This game is fucking brilliant... my brother and I played it pretty obsessively (the sub games that is) a few years back- the monkey rowing was the best of all tho...