Computer Games Blogs

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
I haven't been a gamer since my teens, but I picked up Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare on Friday (for the PS3). Some of the levels are simply awesome (sniping, Tsjernobyl, rescuing your injured commander by carrying him on your back, shooting from a gunship chopper, night goggles etc).

This is the sort of gaming graphics and gameplay I was dreaming about when playing Commando and Green Beret (and friendlier games like the classic Jumpman and Attack of the Mutant Camels) on the Commodore 64 (although I still struggle a little bit with the PS3 control, being an old school joystick man).

I know it is a "just another" first person shooter, but for someone just picking up on gaming again the leap in technology is finally there (the PS1/2 never impressed me much).
I will not be buying Clive Barker's Jericho though, tried the demo - but controlling the gun was like holding jelly.

---

Where are the female soldiers in modern games? Thought we lived in the 21st century.

tox

Factory Girl
Well I finally picked up a Wii so I could play Mario Galaxy. Beautiful game. Nintendo at their best, constantly surprising and pulling out new bits of gameplay. I'm about halfway through and loving it.

Back on topic I have to recommend the gaming blog My Spazz for genuinely funny take on gaming...

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
Zero Punctuation's weekly game reviews are great, even if you don't care about games.

I had to jump in with my top ten:

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
2. Shadowrun (SNES)
3. Earthbound (SNES, Mother 2 on the Super Famicom)
4. Streetfighter II Turbo Edition (Arcade)
5. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
6. Halo 3 (XBOX 360/PS3)
7. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
8. Super Monkey Ball 2 (Turtles is right, this game is brilliant. Monkey Golf, Monkey Fight and all the sub games are incredible)
9. Bomberman (Any version)
10. Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun (PC)

Anderai

Just purchased an Xbox 360 Elite about a fortnight ago (already have a PC, PS1 and PS) and got Halo 3, The Orange Box....and downloaded the full version of Geometry Wars.

Beating each other's high scores in GW has become an obsession for me and my mates... :)

I chose the Xbox as my next gen console 'cos there's nothing on the PS3 that grabs me and Sony seems to have momentarily forgotten what made them unbeatable with the PS1/2. A couple of years ago I would never have considered buying a Microsoft console. Having said that I do get slightly nervous about the 'Red Ring Of Death' happening......3 year Microsoft warranty 'an all. One of my mates just got his back last Monday from Microsoft with a new motherboard fitted, he'd had it a year...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Super Monkey Ball 2 (Turtles is right, this game is brilliant. Monkey Golf, Monkey Fight and all the sub games are incredible)

This game is fucking brilliant... my brother and I played it pretty obsessively (the sub games that is) a few years back- the monkey rowing was the best of all tho...

turtles

in the sea
This game is fucking brilliant... my brother and I played it pretty obsessively (the sub games that is) a few years back- the monkey rowing was the best of all tho...
Yes! Good to see more monkey ball love here. My personal fave mini game was always four-player monkey tennis, which usually results in just as much yelling in disgust at your teammate as it does the other team. And don't sleep on main game! if you can get to the end of that you will have perfected your analog joystick skills for all time. Today's monkey ball factoid:
mb_aiai.jpg

AIAI: The hero of this game. He loves bananas so much that he always spends his carefree life thinking "The banana I had today was really delicious." Eat bananas, and he'll be in high spirits, able to overcome any hardship. Chanting a magical spell "Ei-Ei-Poo," he starts his adventure with Monkey Ball

Don Rosco

I don't know about blogs, but Rllmukforum is a very good resource for gaming news/reviews and other geek point-of-views.

That's gas - I just was replying to you in the Dubstep / Grime thread over there, and here you are, here. Yeah, rllmuk is a good place to get opinions on games for sure. Signal to Noise ratio is good for a video game forum, but nothing like as good as this place obviously.

As for the original request, I just had a look through my gaming feeds, and there's nothing i'd particularly recommend. Consolevania for viewing, but nowt for reading.