Computer Games Blogs

turtles

in the sea
But they're monkeys! in balls! how can you top that??

Really though it's the simplicity of the game play that does it for me. the main game and most of the mini-games are just super elegant in terms of controls and interaction. I'm definitely a gameplay over graphics kinda guy, and I think it's really hard to achieve that kind of minimalist game design (no more than two buttons at any time!). Plus it's simple enough to play when really hammered with your friends at 3am after the bar!

tom pr

Aaargh, Gamecube games all look and sound as if they've been designed by and for someone on about six strongs Es...they're like distilled ADHD in software form. :confused:
The Gamecube's version of Starfox was horrible. They basically teased you with a really great flying level that made you think it would be even better than Lylat Wars, and then followed it with a bunch of shitty quasi-Goldeneye running ones.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I reckon a drunk/coked-up John Romero mistook him for a girl and came on to him in a Dallas cowboy bar. :cool:
Close.

It's actually so uninteresting that I can barley bring myself to type it, but basically I remembered that I had worked in two separate jobs with the authors of both Hungry Horace and Moon Cresta.

Pretty kool huh?

:cool::rolleyes:

noel emits

Better though - I believe I may have been the first person to crack the copy protection on Jet Set Willy*. I also had my maps of Sabre Wolf and Knight Lore published in Popular Computing Weekly.

/sad

*Sorry Matthew - it was strictly for the heck of it.

Last edited:

noel emits

Even better than that I was interviewed in 1987 on the BBC World Service about computer viruses and specifically the SCA Amiga virus, which was ironic because I think it got into the UK when a member of the SCA (Swedish Cracking Association) infected computers in the shop I was working in. Him or his mate had done some wicked versions late Cluster tunes in Aegis Sonix. Wish I still had those.

Well I hope that all means something to someone.

Last edited:

Anderai

A few from me too (in no particular order):

Frontier Elite 2 (Amiga)
Zeewolf 2 (Amiga)
Another World (Amiga)
Worms (Amiga)
Quake 2(PC)
Half-Life (PC)
UT 2004 (PC)
Tomb Raider(PS1)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Tekken 3 (PS1)
Driver (PS1)
Final Fantasy X
GTA: Vice City (PS2)
Ico (PS2)
Okami (PS2)

...presently playing Black on PS2....then God Of War I & II.

noel emits

Frontier Elite 2 (Amiga)
I always wanted to get Elite on the NES. I love games like that where there's a whole universe to explore. The PC versions are available as free downloads now. :)

What decent modern equivalents are there?

hint

party record with a siren
Ico is the best game I have ever played.
Resident Evil 4 is a close second, I think.

I recall that the first Tomb Raider was pretty mind-blowing. Even watching my friend play was entertaining. I presume that it hasn't aged well, so I doubt I'd ever revisit it.

Mario Kart / Speedball 2 / Street Fighter 2 will always be fun.

noel emits

I always liked the idea of Speedball 2 more then the reality. The gameplay seemed kind of low resolution and samey to me, compared to the endless majesty of Kick Off 2. ;)

Anyway let's not forget Super Bomberman for never ending multi-player fun. Plus you'd never be able to market a game like that these days.

tyranny

i have still yet to play a multiplayer fps that gets things as RIGHT as the first quake did.

there has also never been a finer or a less forgiving multiplayer map created than quake 1's DM4