baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
the guardian mbm described it as watching 'paraguay vs paraguay' at one stage, i got the impression zambia were fairly dour in the way they play... (and IC too), which is why id didnt' go out of my way to watch it. sounds like i missed a lot of excitement at the least...

Gutted Egypt seem to miss out on tournament finals a lot - they're such a quality team...

hucks

Your Message Here
the guardian mbm described it as watching 'paraguay vs paraguay' at one stage, i got the impression zambia were fairly dour in the way they play... (and IC too), which is why id didnt' go out of my way to watch it. sounds like i missed a lot of excitement at the least...

Gutted Egypt seem to miss out on tournament finals a lot - they're such a quality team...

It wasn't a great game, to be honest. Gervinho missing the penalty was the most inevitable thing I've ever seen on a football pitch. In one on ones he's got to be among the worst strikers in the league. He just bottles it - witness his electing to be their eighth penalty taker or whatever.

crackerjack

the guardian mbm described it as watching 'paraguay vs paraguay'

That sums up 90% of what I've seen of the tournament. I always look forward to the Cup of Nations, but this was a procession of drab, unadventurous and often inept football. I appreciate that major tournos often fail to become the promised carnivals, but CoN is something else.

edit: amusing penalty shootout though

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
the only cup of nations i really caught were matches involving Gabon - a pity they didn't make it further than the QFs, as they seemed to be a decent football-playing side.

I presume lots of people were gutted that Egypt/SA/Nigeria didn't make the finals - bit like having a Euro Champs without Italy, Germany and the Netherlands - interesting initially, but gutting when you remember that the less successful sides are often less successful precisely because they're just not that skiilful at playing football....

nomos

Administrator
maybe not a popular opinion, but i think arsenal are better off if they go out of the CL sooner than later. they need to focus everything on the league (which you can imagine bears directly on RVP's future). i'm a lot more bothered by kos being hurt, because with mert out that makes squiggly the next CB in line (though we'd probably see coquelin or miquel first).

on another note, hazard seems to have lifted his skirt at all the "top clubs" in england over the last few months. a lot of arsenal fans treat him like the answer to all our problems, but i'd be wary of a nasri-type scenario if he came in and had half a good season.

e/y

I agree on focusing on the league, nomos. otoh, this team has a tendency to go on extended runs of very bad results after a big loss.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Weird that this time last year they were beating Barcelona 2-1.

If they finish fifth and van Persie leaves, is Wenger's project finally over? They're gonna have a tough time finishing above Chelsea, at any rate.

Maybe they'll win the return 5-0?

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think that that victory last year was a blip on a downward trajectory. I think the Wenger project probably is over. It's dangerous when someone has done well for a club and they daren't change him but his methods are getting further and further left behind. Same thing happened at Forest with Clough in the, what, early nineties when they were relegated.

Esp

I feel sad for van Persie.

He'll surely go to Real at the end of the season, even if Arsenal finish 4th and win the FA Cup. I wouldnt be surprised if Oxlade Chamberlain moves on as well, especially if he makes a splash at the Euros.

Ramsay and Walcott are both failing to mature into world class players, its getting almost depressing to watch. I dont know why Wenger never tries Arshavin through the middle personally given the lack of depth in the squad.

Arsenal look set for a few years in the wilderness like Liverpool, I'd much rather see Chelsea suffer the ignominy of failing to qualify for Europe though.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, Liverpool are awful, but they're also happily irrelevant outsiders in the Prem at the moment.

CL is shaping up nicely, think it will give English football pause for thought that it has no QF representatives for the first time in 16 years (basically, since English sides readjusted to Europe following the ban).

Napoli look a wonderfully entertaining side, hope they make the semis at least - surely Man City (or Chelsea) will bid for Hamsik or Cavani this summer? Bayern look pretty good too (I think Man City can count themselves unlucky to have been drawn in that group tbh). Those two and Real/Barca would make the best last four in a while.

Last edited:

e/y

1000x.jpg