Page 192 of 296 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242292 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 4426

Thread: Roiling football blather

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Interesting, but it kind of contradicts itself in saying Suarez could be worth 40m following the comments on Shevchenko. Yeah, he could...

So we're saying age, interest from other clubs, Englishness and reasonable wage demands explain Carroll's transfer fee.
    I wouldn't say that's Tomkin's says that that explains it (apart from the Englishness), more that the transfer fee might not be so bad in the long run - it doesn't seem quite so ridiculous when you consider these factors. At least a decent portion of the money could be made back given Carroll's age, which can't be said for Shevchenko or Villa. Obviously what explains the size of the fee is the nature of the circumstances in which it was agreed. There wasn't much time, Newcastle didn't want to sell (at least not that much) and they knew Liverpool had a fair bit of money to spend and were determined to sign someone.
    Last edited by mrfaucet; 03-02-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo View Post
    The transfer window... bloody hell...

Wouldn't be surprised if Drogba handed in a transfer request in the summer
    he's on the wane. such a shame because i think he is my favourite premiership player of the last decade.

Jesus christ. Howay the fucking lads!

Who would have thought that Newcastle would stick four past Arsenal in one half without Andy Carroll or Ameobi?

and that is why the Arse won't win the PL.

though judging by the Soccer Saturday commentary it sounds like the ref didn't help

Quote Originally Posted by don_quixote View Post
    he's on the wane. such a shame because i think he is my favourite premiership player of the last decade.
    Don't think there's many non-Chelsea fans who'd say that. I've always thought of him as one of those players that fans of the club love and everyone else hates (see also Gary Neville, Cristiano Ronaldo, Robbie Savage)

what an amazing game! arsenal right to feel aggrieved tbh, nolan and barton in particular both lucky to be on the pitch cos both did worse than diaby..

so, wolves then eh?
    BOOK: sound/bodies // paul.autonomic deeptime.net

Pardon me for patting myself on the back for predicting this a couple of weeks back. This is a very average United side with 2 brilliant centre backs. Break that partnership up and they're vulnerable to any side that refuses to be overawed by their rep.

Quote Originally Posted by nomos View Post
    so, wolves then eh?
    I think half their points this season have come from beating the big four.
    Still bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by routes View Post
    what an amazing game! arsenal right to feel aggrieved tbh, nolan and barton in particular both lucky to be on the pitch cos both did worse than diaby..
    Arsenal must have been tearing their hair out.

Can't stand Nolan or Barton. Thugs.

I can't believe Nolan didn't get sent off for trying to put the Arsenal keeper in some sort of headlock in front of an official.

Poor decision.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo View Post
    Don't think there's many non-Chelsea fans who'd say that. I've always thought of him as one of those players that fans of the club love and everyone else hates (see also Gary Neville, Cristiano Ronaldo, Robbie Savage)
    I kinda like Drogba (def not a Chelsea fan). There was a vid of him going back to the banlieue in France where he grew up, and he seemed like a genuine, fairly humble guy. Ok, he dives, but I can forgive him that. Certainly a cut above the players you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by bandshell View Post
    Arsenal must have been tearing their hair out.

Can't stand Nolan or Barton. Thugs.

I can't believe Nolan didn't get sent off for trying to put the Arsenal keeper in some sort of headlock in front of an official.

Poor decision.
    He got a booking, which is fair enough. I can't stand players being sent off for pushes etc, just cos they've "raised their hands" (is football run by the anti-party police?). Diaby saw red cos he pushed both Barton and Nolan in the same incident.

I say this in complete impartiality and not cos Nolan is a mainstay of my Fantasy Football team.

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    He got a booking, which is fair enough. I can't stand players being sent off for pushes etc, just cos they've "raised their hands" (is football run by the anti-party police?). Diaby saw red cos he pushed both Barton and Nolan in the same incident.
    Totally. I really hate when fans want players sent off for bullshit handbags, too. Or celebrating in front of them. Jeez.

Interesting interview with Henry the Liverpool owner in the Guardian last week. Basically, they wanted Torres to be Carroll + 15m, cos then with the Babel money, they could afford Suarez for 22m, and end up equal. As the Carroll price went up, so did the Torres price. Simple math(s).

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post

I say this in complete impartiality and not cos Nolan is a mainstay of my Fantasy Football team.
    It wasn't even during play though (You could argue either way based on this). He just tried to grab him round the head.