paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I hope Swansea do well too. Fairly satisfying opening weekend I'd say, decent performance from Chelsea and Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs all dropping points

Bangpuss

i reckon arsenal will get 3rd, their strongest team in ages. although selling Song is daft.

What? So you think they're stronger without Van Persie and Song? You're joking, right?

I read an article about Rodgers and Swansea last year. They don't even have a training ground. They train at a leisure centre. For a few weeks, they didn't even have a grass pitch so were training on astroturf. With all the excesses of the Premiership, it's remarkable there's a team who still do things like that.

Damien

303570_274567715989454_196723292_n.jpg

almost front row futsal world cup final ticket :cool:

Bangpuss

Usain Bolt will get a chance to play for Man Utd, against Real Madrid. Albeit the Real Madrid 'legends' in a charity match. But still, he could make an impact. Although if this video is anything to go by, he doesn't look like much of a footballer:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
In the comments:

"My dead dog is better than him at football".

There was another video where he looked alright. But no more.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
0-0 for Scotland against Serbia is not bad but no way will we get out of a group with them, Belgium and Croatia in

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Oh Jose.

From another corner of Spain: ' "We deserved to win but it was a really tough game," Messi said. "It's not easy when they defend so deep and you can't find the spaces," added the 25-year-old, who has scored 109 goals in his last 100 official matches for Barça.'

That stat is incredible, especially given the general quality of the opposition Barca have faced in that time (a significant proportion of those games must've come in the CL). Has anyone ever managed anything comparable, besides Ronaldo?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i'd agree there. but i think there's a serious doubt whether either he or Ronaldo would be able to make a mediocre (Edit: not mediocre, but a team below the 3-4 best in the world) team great, but that'd be the same for any player who's primarily a striker (Ronaldo's played at two main clubs, sure, but they are Real Madrid and Manchester United, hardly second division).

Which players aside from Maradona could be reasonably claimed to have done that, though. Would have to be a very short list.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Le Tiss is definitely a good shout for the second tier of such players (i.e. players who didn't quite raise their teams to the highest level/winning anything, but made a huge, out-of-all-proportion difference to them).

As far as players who inspired their teams to glory virtually single-handedly, I guess some have attributed Man U's success in 1992-3 purely to Cantona, but it seems a huge stretch to me, given the quality of the rest of that United team.

Zidane in 1998?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Football trivia question of the day, brought on by excessive boredom at work:

What is the most famous pair of European teams never to have met each other in competition?

I think I have a very good answer, but I am open to advancements.

crackerjack

Zidane in 1998?

Zidane missed 2 of France's 7 games cos of his red card for stamping.

Other than the final – and that result was more down to Brazil's self-imposed meltdown than anything else – did he have a great impact? My main memory of them is goalless draw/penalty wins and Thuram in the semis.

hucks

Your Message Here
Zidane missed 2 of France's 7 games cos of his red card for stamping.

Other than the final – and that result was more down to Brazil's self-imposed meltdown than anything else – did he have a great impact? My main memory of them is goalless draw/penalty wins and Thuram in the semis.

Zidane in 2006 would be a better shout. That team was nowhere near as good, he dragged them to the final by himself.