IdleRich

IdleRich
I mean Penaldo is hardly Dorothy Parker but Pessi? I've also seen Missi which is really clever apart from the 672 times when he didn't miss...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Portugal took an almost instant lead against Serbia and the manager totally lost it, got so angry the ref booked him.
And then, needing only a draw to qualify automatically and looking dangerous with every attack, they got a case of nerves after Serbia equalised with a deflection and let them nick it with a 90th min header. So play-offs for Portugal.

version

Some whistleblower from Qatar's just been arrested before he could do an interview with Norwegian state TV.

Also, The Times have just published a piece on young men working over there coming back with kidney diseases and needing transplants and dialysis. Sounds like Hell out there;

Stuffed into a room with six others, with one semi-functional fan, he was shuttled back and forth to the stadium with barely any time to eat or sleep. The heat was constant and pounding. Sometimes, his nose would start bleeding and he would vomit.

“If there was some shade in the stadium we used to try to hide in there but we’d have to come back, we couldn’t stay in there,” Magar said.

Complaints about conditions to his supervisor brought only threats.

“Sometimes I would work until the next morning, and if I said I didn’t want to work, they’d say I would be cut off from my payments,” he said. “The manager used to threaten me if I wouldn’t work long hours, he’d say, ‘I’ll cut your overtime work’, but he never paid me overtime anyway.”

After a year and a half, Magar managed to get home, though he was paid a fraction of the amount written in his contract. But he had lost weight and started vomiting and running fevers regularly.

His family took him to hospital. Tests showed irreparable damage to his kidneys. Dhakal, his doctor, told him he would have to go on dialysis three times a week for the rest of his life. At 23, he was the first member of his family known to have had kidney problems.

version

Anyone seen the stuff this Molina guy's been saying? He's come out with a list of footballing scandals ranging from weird to about as serious as you can get.

Apparently he isn't always reliable and chucks out a lot of shit and unverifiable stuff, but he's apparently been right about things in the past too, so guess we'll have to see how it pans out.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Very strange list; a mixture of the shocking and the trivial, some stuff that's not just plausible but which you would probably assume was happening anyway, and some things that are pretty outlandish.

One that jumped out was this "The massive media outrage surrounding the Qatar World Cup is political and financed by people/organizations who wish harm upon the country." - seems dubious.... or, let's say this, it may well be that Qatar's enemies are spreading the stories but does anyone think that they are not true?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Putting the tournament there is the worst thing football could have done. It makes no sense in footballing terms - I dunno how to measure but I think football is more corrupt than the tory party!

Last edited:

version

One that jumped out was this "The massive media outrage surrounding the Qatar World Cup is political and financed by people/organizations who wish harm upon the country." - seems dubious.... or, let's say this, it may well be that Qatar's enemies are spreading the stories but does anyone think that they are not true?
Yeah, I thought that was odd too. He came off like an apologist, although someone in the comments pushed back on that suggestion;

"Is he a Qatar apologist: If you know Molina’s work (he wrote a book on the Qatari takeover of PSG) and has many videos on Qatar on his YouTube channel, you know he is not a Qatar apologist. However, it does seem to me that he has shifted his focus from Qatar to Saudi Arabia when it comes to who is the bigger vilain in terms of human rights abuse. In his 2nd live last night, he said that while in Qatar, he got stranded in the not so glamorous Pakistani neighbourhoods of Qatar and while discussing with the taxi drivers there, he asked them “how can they live like this” and they told him that it’s way better than elsewhere (elsewhere being in the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia). When he talks about Qatar having enemies fund anti-WC campaigns, he’s talking about Saudi Arabia (he touched on it in his previous Space months ago and in one of his Youtube videos I think) just like the Saudis were involved with BeOUT and other state sponsored anti-Qatar campaigns."

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, I thought that was odd too. He came off like an apologist, although someone in the comments pushed back on that suggestion;

"Is he a Qatar apologist: If you know Molina’s work (he wrote a book on the Qatari takeover of PSG) and has many videos on Qatar on his YouTube channel, you know he is not a Qatar apologist. However, it does seem to me that he has shifted his focus from Qatar to Saudi Arabia when it comes to who is the bigger vilain in terms of human rights abuse. In his 2nd live last night, he said that while in Qatar, he got stranded in the not so glamorous Pakistani neighbourhoods of Qatar and while discussing with the taxi drivers there, he asked them “how can they live like this” and they told him that it’s way better than elsewhere (elsewhere being in the United Arab
f Emirates and Saudi Arabia). When he talks about Qatar having enemies fund anti-WC campaigns, he’s talking about Saudi Arabia (he touched on it in his previous Space months ago and in one of his Youtube videos I think) just like the Saudis were involved with BeOUT and other state sponsored anti-Qatar campaigns."
But you don't have to be one of Qatar's enemies to think that there is something a little odd about putting the world's biggest sporting event in a country that has no tradition of playing that sport, which has no stadiums or infrastructure to manage that tournament and which, at the very time the tournament is supposed to take place is literally too hot to play the sport in question... but which DOES have lots and lots of lovely money, enough to shower over absolutely everyone involved in the decision, lubricating any unfortunate sticking points on the way and totally cleaning away any nasty stains.

IdleRich

IdleRich
And the least surprising news ever... United have sacked OGS. It's all a bit of a mess there... no manager and no replacement lined up or even available as far as I know. There are good players there but a lack of buying strategy has meant that expensive players have come in and nor been used. Whoever the new guy is I hope they give Sancho and Van der Beek a fair shake of the stick.

jenks

thread death
Mate is a big Utd fan and he’s been screaming for over nearly two years to get rid. He said the biggest problem was that run they went on after Christmas last year. If there had been fans in the ground during their previous slump he suggests the board would have had to take action. Now they’ve watched their top replacements take up jobs elsewhere. After Leicester’s recent drop in form do you take Rogers? Could they countenance ex City manager Mancini or will they do what Spurs did last year and drift and piss away the season with coaching staff like Carrick and Fletcher, both knowing they’re not going to get the job and are only keeping the seat warm.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Worst possible time... lacked guts ar start of season but panicked now and can't see it through to the end. CL on Tues I think with group still delicately poised.

version

I hope nobody decent takes the job. The people running these big clubs into the ground need to squirm a bit and learn from their mistakes when they just fritter money away and act like twats, not get propped up by putting yet another manager through the wringer.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I hope nobody decent takes the job. The people running these big clubs into the ground need to squirm a bit and learn from their mistakes when they just fritter money away and act like twats, not get propped up by putting yet another manager through the wringer.
Maybe Carrick until end of season.
It does feel as though they pursued Sancho for ages as part of a plan... but the realised they could get Ronaldo on the cheap so simply tore up that plan. Though whose was the original plan and who overruled it I dunno.