Page 291 of 292 FirstFirst ... 191241281289290291292 LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,365 of 4373

Thread: Roiling football blather

Messi also had angry confrontations with Barca supporters apparently - wouldn't be too surprised if the unthinkable happens and he seeks to move elsewhere. To have given that much to that club, and be treated in that way, as no longer an immortal...well, that has to have repercussions. And that Barcelona team has been found out - I can't see them winning the CL again without a massive rethink.

Wijnaldum's second was a peach, one of those moments where time seems to stop. Valverde got the diagnosis right, saying that Liverpool blitz opponents, and those 2 goals in 2 minutes were proof they can do it even without Salah and Firmino. It's hard to think of a better performance, given the injury list (esp when Robertson went off) and the circumstances.

Klopp is a genius at motivation - was rewatching the highlights to one of Dortmund's games vs Real Madrid a few years back and the intensity was electric, just like last night. Mind you, he also chose the right clubs.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 08-05-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Yeah, your reward for playing at a superhuman level is being castigated when you don't reach it one week. Pretty stupid, but when you have that many fans a lot of them are bound to be idiots, I was looking at the Barca Twitter last night and some of the comments are pretty infantile.

Apparently Messi was crying his eyes out in the dressing room. You can't say he doesn't give his all. It's weird that so many supporters assume that if you have a bad game that automatically means you weren't trying.

I'm quite gutted that Barca are getting De Jong now, as I imagine his inclusion will immeasurably improve their midfield and probably restore them to the semblance of contenders, even if not at the very top. Would be more interesting to see what happened if they weren't able to solve every problem with cash and status (every player still wants to go to Barca)

The nature of these clubs is that they always want a quick fix. Lots of comments saying "We need Ten Hag" and it's kinda weird. It's like they think that they are completely entitled to just have him and if they don't it will somehow be a travesty. For me the problem for me is very simple; for a long time they had a midfield built around Xavi and Iniesta with Messi scoring goals and Busquets - horrible slimy cheat that he is - tidying everything up beautifully and attacking from the back - and the supporting cast, be it Suarez or whoever was good as well of course. Now Xavi and Iniesta have gone and soon Busquets and Messi will be too and you can't simply replace players like that, they can't just buy the "next Messi" cos there isn't one, I don't think that there is a "next Iniesta" either really. So you need a bigger rebuild, but fans aint gonna like that cos it might be that it gets worse before it gets better. Like with Real. What you need is someone who can rebuild and at the same time paper over cracks so they win (or at least maintain a level) while doing that - some trick to pull off.

Kind of like an elite version of United Class of 92 - La Masia's class of 200? .

Ferguson's strategy failed for a few years after those players retired, but his genius was to be able to find a way again - buying big, but buying smart as well.

Liverpool's record of making elite players from canny purchases at smaller clubs, and filling out the squad with hard-working older heads (OK, maybe only Milner fits this description, but hard to imagine this squad without him) is working a treat. Hoffenheim, Southampton, Newcastle, Hull, Schalke, Sunderland... It's like a Euro-friendly throwback to how top squads were built in the 80s and 90s. And then making the purchases from big clubs when really needed, like Allison - well that transfer fee virtually got repaid last night.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 08-05-2019 at 02:24 PM.

I've seen the word (or is it a phrase) Moneyball being thrown around a few times today...

These last three or four days I've been wishing I was into football tbh

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Some bullshit about how the fans are insufferable. I think it's just jealousy really cos they are playing exciting football and doing well with it. Basically what everyone wants for their team. Most fans normally have to settle for at most one of the above. It's just the same as how everyone hated United for years as far as I can tell.
    But they don't hate Man City as much

everyone hates man city.

God, that was absurd. Almost too much, like being served the two best meals of your life in one week and knowing it's the pinnacle. Because really, nothing's going to top that, is it?

I can see the final being a classic too, tho

These last three or four days I've been wishing I was into football tbh
    You're not the first person I've seen/heard say that. And it makes sense. But basically this last few days are the pay off for a terrible life. My girlfriend was just saying to me "but didn't something this ridiculous happen before when Man Utd beat Bayern in 99?" And my reply is "Yes it did" but basically nothing good happened since then - and now that happened twice in two days and it's unbelievable.
    But is it worth a lifetime of torture for the highs? I dunno, but when the highs come you gotta enjoy them.
    Last edited by IdleRich; 09-05-2019 at 12:35 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

The orgasm you're hearing right now is only earned by a lifetime of nothing.... except that's not quite true, these two games are ridiculous and I hope that anyone who gets it will be excited in the same way that every English football fan loves the Brasil 70 side...
    Last edited by IdleRich; 09-05-2019 at 11:43 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

That's kind of what the case is with football on a game by game basis, right? The excitement of the goals is created by the great swathes of disjointed or boring play. That's why I much prefer football to basketball, say, where they're constantly scoring - although I'm not slagging basketball, I understand there's a different tension going on there. In football a single goal is usually highly consequential. If it's a beautifully taken goal that just adds to it.

I went to see two Oxford United games recently with my mate and in the second match Oxford scored the winning goal from outside the area in extra time. Was brilliant.

I've tried to reconnect with football (which I was obsessed with in primary school) from time to time but I usually find it takes too much work to keep up with it. I've got a lot of competing interests so 90 minutes of possible boredom doesn't seem like a good investment of time. Unfortunately, the fact that I have to artificially try to care about it makes it seem unlikely I ever will get back into it properly. But I'm a pretty rare breed of non football loving men in my social circle, so I know I'm missing out. Something to look forward to, to structure your week around, something to put you through an emotional wringer.

It is an emotional wringer right? It's a weird one, suppose your team is in the final, you look forward to it for ages, you get your mates or whatever, get some beers in everything is great.... and then they lose and it's the worst night of your life. You don't get that with going to see a film or a gig or whatever. I mean, I suppose the fun of clubbing is that it is (or can be) an adventure. But you don't have this risk of disappointment - maybe the film/gig is shit but that's not the same. Of course you couldn't have the chance of elation without the risk of despondency, that's the deal you make I guess.
    Do you live in Oxford then?

@Corpsey I went to see Oxford just the once and they scored an equaliser in the 90th minute. Must be a thing.

The disappointment factor is awful. I'm not a Liverpool supporter but I've always been a fan of the club, and more recently of Klopp since Dortmund days - the CL final last year made me feel almost physically sick (first Ramos on Salah, and then the absurdity of those two goals that weren't the best goal of all time). Almost gave up watching football then and there as not worth the emotional investment. Can't even imagine what being a week by week attendee must be like (well, I've read fever pitch, so i guess i can)

I think this era of football (thinking of the post 2006ish era) has been undeniably improved by Messi, Ronaldo and the return of grand football strategic narratives (tiki taka, parking the bus, heavy metal football etc). The three years of RM hegemony in Europe were a massive downer tho
    Last edited by baboon2004; 09-05-2019 at 01:00 PM.