mos dan

fact music
Just another example of how horrendously unfair that was. It's ok for Liverpool who committed the sin, they've had plenty of opportunities in Europe since the ban expired but Wimbledon missed the only chance in their history to date.

fixed ;)

No way. It was completely unfair, collective punishment is against the Geneva Convention.

quite! also lol. i would have loved to have seen that invoked.

waiting in a moscow airport for 4 odd hours, 600 chelsea fans packed into a room that fits about 200- two people have asthma attacks, eventually the plane comes and it's already half-filled with diverted passengers, so only 150 of you can get on. and it's pissed down with rain since 11. and you've lost. to the scum. on penalties. that was bad.

if i hadn't have been at the front i'd have had to wait another 6 hrs in there too, apparently. :slanted:

oh maaaaaate. GRIM

Man, it's Wimbledon we're talking about here. Every last one of their players was a registered hoolie.

maybe so, but our fans (yes, all seven of us, i'll do my own heckles thank you) are tewwibwy tewwibwy well behaved. wimbledon itself is proper posh - barclays did some survey in the 90s and we had the wealthiest fans in the prem, apparently. obvs i'm not proud of this, and it has no bearing on hooliganism.. i'm just saying.

crackerjack

Yeah, I noticed things are looking up for the Dons

maybe so, but our fans (yes, all seven of us, i'll do my own heckles thank you) are tewwibwy tewwibwy well behaved. wimbledon itself is proper posh - barclays did some survey in the 90s and we had the wealthiest fans in the prem, apparently. obvs i'm not proud of this, and it has no bearing on hooliganism.. i'm just saying.

Sound to me like a bunch of rugger buggers. Clearly foreign trips would've involved debagging in St Peter's church and widespread theft of carabinieri headgear.

don_quixote

Trent End
in hindsight, maybe unprovoked attacks on liverpool football club is only stirring up a hornet's nest and a surefire way to a needless argument which will leave me vastly unpopular

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
Sound to me like a bunch of rugger buggers. Clearly foreign trips would've involved debagging in St Peter's church and widespread theft of carabinieri headgear.

if i'm honest - and this is almost as bad as rugger buggers in terms of being, erm, pretty gross - wimbledon itself (not where i'm from, strictly) is more like the essex borders than old school, rugger bugger posh.. nouveau riche i guess.

hucks

Your Message Here
Amazing how Beckham is always first on the scene after his teammate scores.

Anyway, they still went out.

in hindsight, maybe unprovoked attacks on liverpool football club is only stirring up a hornet's nest and a surefire way to a needless argument which will leave me vastly unpopular

Go on, give it a try...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, United are now world club champions and league cup champions and Liverpool losing means that they are now seven points clear in the league with a game in hand. It's actually conceivable that they could do the magic quintuple. I'm sure that would be very popular here and elsewhere.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
bit of waffle

some pals and i attended an AC Milan-Chievo game earlier this season (Milan won thanks to a Kaka pen) and we all agreed afterward that the occasionally lovely technique of the home team was sullied a little by the sloth-like pace at which both teams were often content to play at.

toward the end of the game the visitors upped the tempo and gave it a bit of a go for the last 20 minutes or so; Milan were under the cosh. (though, yes, did win.)

we realised then it's no wonder English (and some Spanish) teams are often able to turn over Italian teams (in recent years, certainly).

on that same weekend we also saw the Rome derby and Inter win at Palermo on Italian TV. a certain Swedish gent we were discussing up-thread :D got both of the Palermo-Inter game's only goals, wonderful individual efforts, one in particular rather sharp, but as others have said, he can be a bit of a hibernating player.
incidentally the camera would flash occasionally to the Special One (in the stands, don't know if this was due to a banning or what) and even when it showed him after their two goals, he had a proper monk on, looked well miserable. the Italian press slag him off a lot apparently, don't warm to the style he has them playing in.

the Rome derby was not too much more notable on the pitch but was more of a laugh for obvious crowd atmosphere reasons. De Rossi was celebrating so much at the end i thought Roman OB should have nicked him for incitement!!

me and a mate attended Barcelona caning Valencia last December and that was glorious: hard to disagree with posters up-thread going on favourably about some of the top Spanish teams etc.

Crackerjack on the best six English teams is also right i think; a lot of my mates are football fans, and a lot of them are League One or Championship fans and when these people can see this about the Prem, well.
i remember distinctly earlier this year a Millwall mate randomly getting into Fulham-Newcastle (ah! that neutral stand :confused: ), and his txts from the match were a joy to read, he was not a happy camper.

loads of the Prem is fairly wank (i write this as a City fan; albeit mostly lapsed these days as i became incredibly disillusioned post-Thaksin), as are loads of all the top leagues, let's be honest.

i'm holding out hope that if the five trophies is on for United, the lovely Barcelona can at least provide some meat against!
(that said i would rather them win the league than 'Pool, as the media overkill, especially in my native northwest, would be insufferably, truly insufferable. this is academic of course anyway unless Carrington is blown up or something.)

BTW out of the Italian teams in the CL, Juve have looked the sternest i'd say, playing the English clubs in that last round of games.

p.s.
Quaresma was poor in Italy.
he was poor in Spain.
he was good in Portugal.

hmm.

p.p.s.
do you think O'Hara stepped up yday as he wanted to, or just had to as he was the boldest about it? does anyone know if Spurs have a penalty taking order?
i just thought we know Croatians (hideous ethno-national stereotype ahoy :slanted: but bear with me..) can take pens - as evidenced by the sole Spud conversion - and just think Luka could've done the business for 'em.
ah well, just a thought.

i had had rather a few beers by this stage but i think LM was still eligible to take then?
;)

tom lea

do you think O'Hara stepped up yday as he wanted to, or just had to as he was the boldest about it? does anyone know if Spurs have a penalty taking order?
i just thought we know Croatians (hideous ethno-national stereotype ahoy but bear with me..) can take pens - as evidenced by the sole Spud conversion - and just think Luka could've done the business for 'em.
ah well, just a thought.
to be honest, i thought corluka looked just as nervous as o'hara - and it wasn't a great penalty.

spurs really are bottlers. the minute lennon went off they were hopeless; hung on to play for penos and then took their kicks like men on death row.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i attended the Millwall victory at the Galpharm yesterday (out to Wall!).

Duffy is shite.

Huddersfield, 9th place in League One, goodness me.

hucks

Your Message Here
i went to watch Brighton lose at Orient, and they obliged. 3rd bottom in League 1

Football is wank, I'm over it.

Aw what? I've got a soft spot for both those teams 'cos I went to university in Brighton and live down the road from the O's. I didn't realise Brighton were in so much trouble.

I went to QPR last Tuesday to see what I thought was a season- changing away win in the pouring rain. Then we lose at Blackpool and the net effect is we're worse off now than a week ago, and I got a cold for no reason.

So, Orient for us next season. And fingers crossed, Brighton too.

crackerjack

Aw what? I've got a soft spot for both those teams 'cos I went to university in Brighton and live down the road from the O's. I didn't realise Brighton were in so much trouble.

I went to QPR last Tuesday to see what I thought was a season- changing away win in the pouring rain. Then we lose at Blackpool and the net effect is we're worse off now than a week ago, and I got a cold for no reason.

So, Orient for us next season. And fingers crossed, Brighton too.

And i didn't realise quite how much trouble Norwich were in. Can't imagine them in L1 - they were always the smalltown overachievers I aspired for Brighton to be.

What went wrong?

hucks

Your Message Here
And i didn't realise quite how much trouble Norwich were in. Can't imagine them in L1 - they were always the smalltown overachievers I aspired for Brighton to be.

What went wrong?

Fairly steady year on year decline - relegated from the prem, then 9th, 16th, 18th now relegation. The club made some bad managerial decisions (three in a row at the last count) and the managers then made some poor player recruitment decisions. I think we've turned over 10 players each summer for 5 years now.

As an illustration, three years ago we had Dean Ashton up front. We sold him and bought Robert Earnshaw. We sold him and now we have Carl Cort, brought out of semi retirement, having not actually had a striker of our own at one point this season.

It should be pretty easy to get Norwich right - we've already sold 17,000 season tickets for next year, we have a big away support and it's a nice enough part of the world to live in. But we've been rubbish for four years now - it's our turn to get relegated, as it was Leicester's last year. Hopefully we'll do as well in League 1 as they have.