don_quixote

Trent End
2002 england were the only team who came close to brazil. it was rubbish though.

2004 was a bloody fucking brilliant tournament for england. that mad game against france, cracking victories over the swiss and the croats and a heartwrenching match vs portugal

2006 was crap from start to finish. england were embarrassing to be the team you followed. the rest of tournament was great.

hucks

Your Message Here
2004 was a bloody fucking brilliant tournament for england. that mad game against france, cracking victories over the swiss and the croats and a heartwrenching match vs portugal

The 4-2 against Croatia is one of the best England performances I've ever seen. It really felt like the start of something. Which it emphatically was not.

crackerjack

The 4-2 against Croatia is one of the best England performances I've ever seen. It really felt like the start of something. Which it emphatically was not.

But might it have been, but for a wayward shoe and a busted metatarsal? :confused:

That was a cracking goal Owen scored against Portugal. Am I right in thinking it only went to shit after Rooney went off? That's certainly how it seemed at the time. Remember watching in a bar in Shoreditch, being shouted at by someone for saying how badly Beckham was playing. Think she thought it was lese majeste or somethng.

edit: anyway, no repeat - Croatia are officially out of 2010.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
2002 england were the only team who came close to brazil. it was rubbish though.

2006 was crap from start to finish. england were embarrassing to be the team you followed. the rest of tournament was great.

2002 - no way! Did you watch that 0-0 vs nigeria? Excrutiating. And 1-0 vs Argentina would be OK if you didn't spend the remaining 70 (?) minutes camped inside your own half. 3-0 vs Denmark was good. That Q-F was one of the most embarrassing things I have ever seen in my life against 10 men.

Turkey were the 2nd best, easy.

2004 vs France - aside from that Rooney chance for 2-0, it was all played in England's half after they went 1 up. Carbon copy of the disgraceful strategy vs Argentina. 4-2 vs Croatia was brilliant, granted.

2006 was indeed a great WC. Italy-germany semi was stellar.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Best match I've ever seen England play - indisputably the 4-1 vs Croatia. That was proper football. Lampard's (wrongly?) disallowed goal was the best thing since Gascoigne.

crackerjack

Best match I've ever seen England play - indisputably the 4-1 vs Croatia. That was proper football. Lampard's (wrongly?) disallowed goal was the best thing since Gascoigne.

against croatia last year was pretty special, even against 10 for most of it. first half against poland in 86. and also, of course, the dutch match

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
against croatia last year was pretty special, even against 10 for most of it. first half against poland in 86. and also, of course, the dutch match

I fucking loved that game. Yep, only possible equal was the Dutch game (and, I must say, Argentina in '98 - that team played with heart and style - Hoddle would've been a great manager, but for personal fascism).

Poland '86 was Lineker's hat-trick, right? I figure they played pretty damn well in the QF too. Regardless of controversy, barnes' impact should've brought them to 2-2.

crackerjack

still uruguay and argentina goalless. Might try and pick this up on satellite...

But Chile lead against Ecuador! Damn.

Ecuador can't go through - they need to win by about five to pip Arg. on gd, assuming their game is a draw.

spot on re Hoddle - topping a group with Italy in it was a really professional job - didn't drop a point except for the italian matches. but christ he was a knobhead.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ecuador can't go through - they need to win by about five to pip Arg. on gd, assuming their game is a draw.

spot on re Hoddle - topping a group with Italy in it was a really professional job - didn't drop a point except for the italian matches. but christ he was a knobhead.

oh, okay - haven't seen the table since the weekend. So U & A are pleased because this means that they'll both either get a direct place or a play-off place against a rubbish team - just seen the table...

I loved the way that team played, compared to most England outfits. Everyone says it every tournament, but i think that team had a genuine chance of making it to the very last stages. Wasn't Beckham's fault, but the game really was there for the taking.

crackerjack

Poland '86 was Lineker's hat-trick, right?

Can't overstate how impressive that game was. They'd lost to Portugal (who were shit back then), drawn with Morocoo, lost their captain to injury and their vice captain to a red card. Were lucky to still be in with a shout, but just annihilated Poland inside the first half. And the 2nd goal was a gem

crackerjack

Uruguay are going nowhere here, don't look like they believe they can win. Argentina were well shabby for first few minutes; they almost look professional now.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I hated England at that time, so can't be objective. I came into school without knowing the result, and was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

crackerjack

oh, okay - haven't seen the table since the weekend. So U & A are pleased because this means that they'll both either get a direct place or a play-off place against a rubbish team - just seen the table....

sorry, i mean ecuador can't realistically top the group. win and they're in the play offs for sure

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
fuck, not sure which game i'm watching. this must be chile-ecuador, given the colours. it said it was uruguay-argentina. damn them!

crackerjack

I hated England at that time, so can't be objective. I came into school without knowing the result, and was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

how did you feel about the scots after they knocked you out twice in three WCs, both with dodgy handball penalties? remember their game when the uruguay player was sent off after about 2 mins and they still couldn't fucking win. it was like watching that 78 holland game in reverse - put on a plate for them, but no guts no glory