IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't think Inter were the better team. I don't know if you're familiar with the xG thing, but Barca did create slightly better chances for themselves. 1.4 against Inter's 1.0, I believe.
I really don't like this coach, but it's a bit of a new side this year and still too early to assess what they can really do.
Expected goals? Yeah sure. I'm just saying the (selected) highlights I saw made Inter look the better side.. but that - at least potentially - was belied by the stats, hence my question.

version

Inter were better in the first half then Valverde brought Vidal on for Busquets and had him playing as a sort of advanced destroyer in the 10 position with Arthur and de Jong behind him in a double pivot and it completely changed the game.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Though a) I'm surprised xG was so low from Inter just from what I saw and b) I'm wary of using those stats to assess the better team.
Football has always proved harder to capture in stats than, say, cricket or US sports... arguably that is part of its greater appeal (to me/everyone).

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'd have gone for Czech Mate but it's hard to argue.
Not a good look to lose to a team you beat five nil not long ago. Hard to motivate yourself for that kind of game maybe but should be no excuses, it was like the England I've always known again apart from a few slick moves that stuck out of the mire. My girlfriend shouted "they've scored" just before the winner went in and it certainly had a kind of inevitability to it. Maybe it's no bad thing for them to have a bit of a wake up call or whatever. No, fuck it, it was shit.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
unsure what there is to say about the disgrace last night. I suppose the only question is what will happen now - is this to be a watershed, or just another in a long list of racist incidents in football?

version

Surely they have to do something? It was so in your face. There were literally people doing Roman salutes and monkey noises on camera, holding up banners saying 'No Respect' and so on.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
it happened eight years previously in the same fixture.

I think it will take a total embarrassment in a major tournament, if anything will force change - teams walking off etc. Of course that was partly expected in Russia last year.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
gazidis deceived the fans emery not going to play Ozil tomorrow and even if he did ozil is more concerned with those slanty show off sexy passes. maybe strengthen our midfield. Mafia manager tbh. game against vitorio was shocking until pepe came on and his performance in the premier league has been lackluster to say the least. whatever is up with the coordination is beyond me by this point, it's like we want to feel pity for the opposition. without the calibre of players we have we'd be in relegation zone, easily.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
At the moment Arsenal looks like an epicly dysfunctional club that exists just to fuel AFTV's youtube ratings - years spent trying to get their most successful manager of all time (or at least top two) out of the door for perceived crimes against their non-existent ability to win the league, and now booing the club captain and trying to usher the new manager out of the door. Sure, Xhaka's response was poor, but it wasn't like they were losing 9-0!

Neither Arsenal nor United can get used to the new world where they are also-rans. Did Liverpool fans act like this in the wilderness years (genuine question)?

version

Messi was absolutely ridiculous yesterday.

Nutmeg

50th freekick goal of his career

Second goal

Assist

Second assist

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Neither Arsenal nor United can get used to the new world where they are also-rans. Did Liverpool fans act like this in the wilderness years (genuine question)?

I thought this was why everyone hated Liverpool (fans)?

So my football-fan friends lead me to believe anyway.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Hm, I don't think they ever led such a concerted campaign to get rid of their own manager and their own club captain. Arsenal are possibly breaking new ground here.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Chelsea CL game had everything last night. Two goals in the first few minutes, then Ajax deservedly draw further and further ahead to 4 - 1 (albeit with two own goals). Then Chelsea pull one back in the second half but still have a mountain to climb until one insane passage of play which results in TWO Ajax players being sent off AND a penalty to Chelsea. Suddenly they are only one behind and they're playing nine men. Sure enough they press on and quickly equalize, then they think they've won it after they go 5 - 4 in a goal mouth scramble but VAR chalks it off cos of some really tenuous handball somewhere in the thick of it. After that for the last five minutes both teams are still trying to win and it requires a great save by Kepa and an absolutely ridiculous one at the other end to keep it level. 4 - 4 and both teams on seven points as are Valencia - all to play for with two games left.