humour: media / politics

zhao

there are no accidents
just saw the Simpsons movie and was thinking this --

humour can be liberating, defiant, or even insurrectionary, when you laugh in the face of authority.

but in American media humour becomes a very efficient tool used by authority to pacify- a way to shrug off and ignore things we need to change and deal with -- often the very thing we are laughing about - this shrugging-off and ignorance.

we are in a dire situation, yes, but let's have a good laugh about it and not take any of the (pseudo) messages seriously. it's all just entertainment isn't it, and a good laugh will make the viewer sleep well and wake up in the morning to do exactly like Homer.

the priviledged and smug self-entitled (ironic how rarely people deserve their riches, and how all of them feel that it's their god given right) take nothing seriously, and a smirk (often ironic. how is that for meta-irony?)always hangs about their faces -- life is a party/commercial and they are always pleasant and in good cheer.

in fact, there is an inability to be serious. not even for a moment. the world would come crumbling down if one becomes serious -- fear of appearing to not be a good sport or even (GASP!) unhappy. as if all the things swept under the Happy Rug™ will come crawling out and take over if in (manufactured) "leisure" time we do anything other than go-with-the-flow, and project anything other than good humour.

EDIT: i suppose like Zizek says, the official position is irony, sarcasm, and poking fun. so i guess the only thing left to do is to over-identify and become a super swanky cheese-ball / party animal who actually makes others slightly uncomfortable because of how much one is (perversely) enjoying EVERYTHING and finding everything absolutely hilarious ALL THE TIME.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
but in American media humour becomes a very efficient tool used by authority to pacify- a way to shrug off and ignore things we need to change and deal with -- often the very thing we are laughing about - this shrugging-off and ignorance.

we are in a dire situation, yes, but let's have a good laugh about it and not take any of the (pseudo) messages seriously. it's all just entertainment isn't it, and a good laugh will make the viewer sleep well and wake up in the morning to do exactly like Homer.

This is all true, but it depends what things you're talking about really, the things that need to be changed and dealt with. Often calls to insurrection and change lose power by their non-specificity.

swears

preppy-kei
EDIT: i suppose like Zizek says, the official position is irony, sarcasm, and poking fun. so

I haven't read any Zizek, but I would say the "official" position of UK and US culture seems to be a sort of sanctimonious forced seriousness and phoney caring.

zhao

there are no accidents
I haven't read any Zizek, but I would say the "official" position of UK and US culture seems to be a sort of sanctimonious forced seriousness and phoney caring.

politicians do this of course. but the proscribed, encouraged, to the point of being mandatory, behavior for the citizentry in everyday life is ironic distance, and this "shrugging-off" with a laugh. in the office, in a bar, in almost EVERY social situation. save, perhaps, funerals.

swears

preppy-kei
politicians do this of course. but the proscribed, encouraged, to the point of being mandatory, behavior for the citizentry in everyday life is ironic distance, and this "shrugging-off" with a laugh. in the office, in a bar, in almost EVERY social situation. save, perhaps, funerals.

Really? I've always thought this was a bit of a modern myth, I wouldn't describe the majority of people I interact with one way or another as behaving like that at all. Maybe some of my 20 something peers constantly joke around, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they couldn't give a shit about current events, it's possible to have a sense of humour and a sense of outrage, they're not mutually exclusive.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

(NB Haven't seen the Simpsons movie yet I'm afraid, hence my initial comment.)

I think irony is certainly over-used, but I think that a person's use of irony can certainly co-exist with that person strongly caring about things. Perhaps the level of ridiculousness in most media discourse has driven some people to irony out of despair, as the views of the world expressed in the media often seem so ludicrous.

OTOH, UI know and have known lots of people who have a 'shell' of irony out of which only an issue such as serious illness or death will make them emerge. Some of these people are well worth keeping; others, of course, live in Hoxton :rolleyes:

zhao

there are no accidents
god damn it swears, why can't you just fit into my generalised sociological molds just once?! i swear... :mad: ;) :D

no really, i don't think "caring" or being serious is encouraged at all in society. I've "ruined" enough dinner parties to know. :eek: but this is very likely more true of the United States and perhaps of LA in particular than other parts of the world -- where the overwhelming feeling is one of "everything is and will always be just fine". no reason to let epidemics in Africa or Ozone depletion ruin perfectly sunny moods. and the creepy feeling that there is something wrong with you "if you are not as happy as people in commercials appear to be".

it's possible to have a sense of humour and a sense of outrage, they're not mutually exclusive.

this is certainly true.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Something that pisses me off in music at the moment is this uber-earnest, 'artfully artless', look-at-me-bear-my-innermost-soul neo-folk stuff like Joanna Newsom, and the twee hippy bollocks they always have on adverts for cars and banks and mobile phones these days. I think when you go that far out of your way to appear earnest you just end up sounding horrifcally cynical instead. Give me 'honestly cynical' (rather than cynically honest) music any day. :)

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
...look-at-me-bear-my-innermost-soul neo-folk stuff like Joanna Newsom, and the twee hippy bollocks they always have on adverts for cars and banks and mobile phones these days...

Yeah, this is particularly sickening, isn't it?

zhao

there are no accidents
Give me 'honestly cynical' (rather than cynically honest) music any day.

sure, i would agree on the bullshit earnest emo and indie-rock wank. and the kids that totally feel that shit...

but that doesn't mean real, emotional, and honest music doesn't exist or should be avoided. i personally believe that earnesty and sincerity is ultimately more powerful than any ironic cynical stance can ever be.

listen to the album Fahey made before he died - the one with the red cross. that to me is an example of absolutely shattering emotional honesty. or Scot Walker. or Latin music or African music... and just for balance i think the first NIN album is incredibly earnest. and powerful. i remember reading a piece in Art Forum about earnesty and authenticity in the wake of Cobain's death - i believe something about "the latest martyr crucified under the false temple of earnesty" or some such...

but i didn't really mean to talk about music...

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Charlie Brooker had a good rant a few weeks ago about adverts that are 'tweetronising', i.e. both twee and patronising; "in fact the word 'tweetronising' is itself a good example of this"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
but that doesn't mean real, emotional, and honest music doesn't exist or should be avoided. i personally believe that earnesty and sincerity is ultimately more powerful than any ironic cynical stance can ever be.

Tschuh, yeah, right...

zhao

there are no accidents
ok I'm getting sucked into the sidetrack...

what totally insincere and ironic, sarcastic, cynical musik have you loved for years? Weird Al Yankovic?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Heh, I was only joking. OH, THE IRONY!

Frank Zappa can be pretty sarcastic. And Ministry and Tool take a lot of beating on the 'cynicism' front.

(Edit: I actually agree with your main point, zhao; people who can never take anything at all seriously are pretty annoying, and even ultimately depressing, to be around. As swears says, giving a shit about things is not incompatible with having a sense of humour - Bill Hicks, anyone?)

Last edited:

mixed_biscuits

Something that pisses me off in music at the moment is this uber-earnest, 'artfully artless', look-at-me-bear-my-innermost-soul neo-folk stuff like Joanna Newsom, and the twee hippy bollocks they always have on adverts for cars and banks and mobile phones these days.

I blame the twatspirational Sunday supplement-fuelled middle-classes for this trend.

bassnation

the abyss
Heh, I was only joking. OH, THE IRONY!

Frank Zappa can be pretty sarcastic. And Ministry and Tool take a lot of beating on the 'cynicism' front.

(Edit: I actually agree with your main point, zhao; people who can never take anything at all seriously are pretty annoying, and even ultimately depressing, to be around. As swears says, giving a shit about things is not incompatible with having a sense of humour - Bill Hicks, anyone?)

but by the same token, lugrubious people walking round being serious about *everything*, carying the entire world on their shoulders (like they can make a difference) are incredibly tedious. personally given the choice i'd prefer people who can laugh in the face of adversity and take the piss out of themselves occasionally. theres a balance to be found.

mixed_biscuits

And I've found it.

balance_300.jpg