Logic 8 is out

nomos

Administrator
nice advice. thanks. good to know about ultrabeat. i think your suggestion to set up a standard template is the way to go because once i've got several instances of redrum running through different effects it's a bit daunting to turn around and start rerouting for rewire. and i've been using ableton since v1 - it would be a shame to let go of a very familiar environment.

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Once you crack rewire, it's bum easy and makes soooooooooooo much difference.

Try rewiring reason into Live! GREAT combo.

Fascinating discussion here about different DAWs being the same, but being different. for rhythm programming.

So here's the question - what did the old garage guys use? At the time they seemed to use cubase on Atari and MPCs - because so many came from a soul / hiphop background, but I could never get a real fix on it.

nomos

Administrator
I have questions.

Is it me or is Reason's swing nicer than Live's? And second, if I slave Reason to Live, does the swing control in Live override the setting in Reason?

Amplesamples

So here's the question - what did the old garage guys use? At the time they seemed to use cubase on Atari and MPCs - because so many came from a soul / hiphop background, but I could never get a real fix on it.

How do you mean, get a fix on it? And do you mean the UK Garage guys? I always assumed they used what you say - MPC (or Akai samplers) and Cubase on Atari. The beats are swung quite a lot the garage tracks aren't they? that could be something to do with the improved (and increased) MIDI resolution and quantisation methods all the MIDI sequencers were going through in the mid-90s.....

You've asked an interesting question, but I'm not sure whether I've answered it properly. Sounds like an interesting train of thought you're leading onto...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I have questions.

Is it me or is Reason's swing nicer than Live's? And second, if I slave Reason to Live, does the swing control in Live override the setting in Reason?
I would guess that Reason would retain it's swing as the slaving will only affect overall tempo.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I use reason, but am looking to get an audio-recording DAW to Rewire to.

Was reading a few comments about the difficulty of using reason's sequencer - I don't find it 100 per cent fantastic but it is usable. Can someone explain how the other DAWs are better in this regard, and therefore what I could hope to gain in this area by purchasing another DAW? Cheers!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
rewire is audio only, reason's swing won't go into live.

here's a "secret" - use mpc swing at around 57% in the regroove mixer, on everything and make sure the bass notes line up with significant kick and snare hits. Ahhhhhh...

reason's sequencer really isn't that bad, just a bit kludgy. Forcing you to draw boxes before you can draw notes (I don't have a keyboard, so I draw everything in).

I'd be tempted to go for live rather than logic, easier to use, lets you DO much more stuff, and though it doesn't sound as good, I just don't think that matters.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Logic is very much Mac only now. Though benga still uses v5.5 on PC.

I've never used Sonar but it looks alright and I think Kid Kameleon uses it. Dunno what it's like for cracks - on PC most people use cubase + cracked plugins (which is a tempting prospect tbh).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, i bought reason 4 out of some (misplaced?) guilt, but maynot do so for an audio DAW. So you recommend Ableton for production, Grievous, for production rather than the Dj-ing tricks it can manage?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Well... I use ableton as a great big sampler and route reason through it because you can't do it the other way round. Plus you can (and I really should do this more) record segments of beats, bass, melody and play them in Live DJ style, and you can get very good musical results that way.

And I have to say to my ears Live sounds very good when you render it out. Rewired tracks aren't being warped, so you don't have that sound degradation issue.

Plus, the tools it has really aren't bad. the 8-way eq is pretty good- I'm beginning to prefer it to Logic's - and the compressors from 7 onwards are OK, and they have a side chain input, which can be very useful. Though TBH I'm finding that I am taking off compression a lot of the time these days, you're better off balancing levels and changing sounds (or the octave of the notes) rather than trying to eq and compress things so they fit.

Above all, Live is FUN. Logic and Cubase promise much, but in the end, they aren't that much fun to use. And having fun means you make much better music, more quickly. But people say Sonar is fun too! And Loefah and Oris Jay absolutely swear by Logic and think that's fun. I'm actually going to buy Logic soon anyway - it's addictive enough for me to want a version that's stable (the crack that's out there is the very first v8 and is not that stable).

Download the demo of Live off the site and see what you think, it's bum easy to use. I think there's a demo of Sonar too.

nomos

Administrator
I've come close to buying Logic 8, mainly just for mixdowns though, and little things like the sub synth and space designer. But Reason rewired into Live is the perfect setup for me. Reason for beats, Live for EQing the rewired stuff and doing synths, samples and manipulation.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thanks Grievous/Nomos. I haven't tried the demo yet, so that would be a good idea before I start firing questions!

"Plus you can (and I really should do this more) record segments of beats, bass, melody and play them in Live DJ style, and you can get very good musical results that way."

Can't pretend I quite undertand how this works, but may do so with the program in front of me. I guess I'm just familiar with Reason and Reason only at the moment...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
It's easy. You make beats and bass etc in Reason, probably in little sections, 4 or 16 bars or whatever.

You take them into live and play back different bits as if you were mixing different records together.

It's much easier to program sections of music than it is to program whole arrangements. Almost anyone can make a decent 16 bar section without too much trouble. But stringing it all together in a way that's musically satisfying is much harder. However it's easier to do it well by bringing different bits in and out of the arrangement, doing it intuitively, dj style.

pajbre

another reason to think about springing for live is that the newest version (or the new version about to come out) is a package deal with max/msp, in that you can run max within live and use the patches you build or crack in there.

if you have max & protools already that might be redundant.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thanks again for the advice. One last q - is the Live 7 suite, with all the extra instruments, worth paying the extra for?

joe narcossist

This is all quite interesting stuff.

Grievous - your way of working in Ableton/Reason sounds like a very good one. I'm finding the enormity of trying to create free flowing and evolving (both musically and spatially) tunes across a six minute Cubase blank canvas quite exhausting and predominantly unfulfilling. Automation loses its purpose, sections run beyond what they should and the constant temptation to change instruments which *aren't quite right* generally leads to a mess. I've been bouncing loops dry out of Kontakt and trying to arrange them as audio but a lot of the creative energy is lost waiting for rendering and doing minute tweaks which again lose any kind of significance later on.

Re Logic - got version 8 a month or so back and it seems fantastic. The native plugins sound IMO far better than anything in Cubase and the automation envelopes seem far more compliant and easy to manage. My only probelm with it is the chaotic build up of plug-in windows, though I guess this could be solved with some preset layouts.

Has anyone tried or bought either of these? Akai have made a Monodeck alike for Ableton and Native instruments have launched this. I really want the latter - I think less room for visual appraisal can only be good for music.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
and Native instruments have launched this. I really want the latter - I think less room for visual appraisal can only be good for music.

Doesn't this just emulate an MPC1000 and then give you another bit of crappy software that no-one needs? I can't see what it does that an MPC with JJOS doesn't do? Sorry if I'm being dumb.

* the lights are cool tho

joe narcossist

Doesn't this just emulate an MPC1000 and then give you another bit of crappy software that no-one needs? I can't see what it does that an MPC with JJOS doesn't do? Sorry if I'm being dumb.

* the lights are cool tho

I guess you're probably right:)

I'm just very tired of looking at music - and quite often hearing it- as a collection of midi instructions in little grey boxes. This seemed like a good way of getting round that without having to transfer what knowledge I have of computer music creation to a MPC or whatever, something which sounds a far bigger leap in method.