there are no accidents
lbutcheryvm3.jpg

UF Student Tasered During John Kerry Speech

Citizens Arrested for commiting FREE SPEECH in Washington DC

President Bush bill pardons himself for his war crimes

thanks to Milton.

tox

Factory Girl
That taser video is mad disturbing. Absolutely mind-boggling!

If that happened in the UK I think the students in that hall would've rioted... unbelievable.

zhao

there are no accidents
yes a nation of zombie sheep. just sitting there staring while he is dragged away screaming for help.

adruu

This Is It
google:
child refugee camp in hutto texas
-or-
pasadena pedro gonzalez

". We have a corrections sector that employs more
Americans than the combined work forces of General Motors, Ford, and
Wal-Mart, the three largest corporate employers in the country, and we
are spending some $200 billion annually on law enforcement and
corrections at all levels of government, a fourfold increase (in
constant dollars) over the past quarter century."
http://bostonreview.net/BR32.4/article_loury.php

google:
child refugee camp in hutto texas
-or-
pasadena pedro gonzalez

". We have a corrections sector that employs more
Americans than the combined work forces of General Motors, Ford, and
Wal-Mart, the three largest corporate employers in the country, and we
are spending some $200 billion annually on law enforcement and
corrections at all levels of government, a fourfold increase (in
constant dollars) over the past quarter century."
http://bostonreview.net/BR32.4/article_loury.php

Stunning revelations ... And not forgetting the audio-visual accompaniment:

Torture Inc. America's Brutal Prisons

Savaged by dogs, Electrocuted With Cattle Prods, Burned By Toxic Chemicals, Does such barbaric abuse inside U.S. jails explain the horrors that were committed in Iraq?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

If that happened in the UK I think the students in that hall would've rioted... unbelievable.

I fucking hope so. That video was unbelievable - there were students capturing it on camera rather than trying to help the poor guy. And irritating he might've been, but at least he had the bollocks to stand up and make his voice heard.

shudder

did any of you see the taser vid from last year sometime? a kid in a school library somewhere?

as for the reaction of the other kids, I can totally understand it. I mean, when cops are wielding weapons right in front of you, it's hard to want to jump into the fray. The kid seemed a little annoying, but he did have half a point, and obviously the police reaction was insane. interesting that the John Stewart reply was bemusement, and not a hint of indignation...

nomos

Administrator

also disturbing how "don't tase me bro" has turned into a pop culture meme divorced from the context in which it was uttered. It's on t-shirts already. "bro" became an excuse to turn it into a saying on the level of "don't have a cow man" and laugh at him instead of taking a position.

also sick in the video how kerry keeps droning on and members of the audience sit there tittering at the camera while the guy is being tackled and abused.

a couple of months ago PBS had an excellent doc called Prison Town, U.S.A. about a depressed town in the US which had become home to three full-scale prisons. the local industrial economy was drying up and the "corrections industry" was supposed to be the town's saviour.

link: http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2007/prisontown/about.html

naomi wolff was on colbert last week talking about her new book on america's drift into fascism... http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2007/09/naomi_wolf.html

Last edited:

shudder

also disturbing how "don't tase me bro" has turned into a pop culture meme divorced from the context in which it was uttered. It's on t-shirts already. "bro" became an excuse to turn it into a saying on the level of "don't have a cow man" and laugh at him instead of taking a position.

that's... ugh.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
as for the reaction of the other kids, I can totally understand it. I mean, when cops are wielding weapons right in front of you, it's hard to want to jump into the fray. The kid seemed a little annoying, but he did have half a point, and obviously the police reaction was insane...

Yeah, most people would (understandably) be scared to intervene; but there's a difference between being vocal about your displeasure with what's happening vs idiotically and passively capturing it on your cameraphone.

swears

preppy-kei
Yeah, most people would (understandably) be scared to intervene; but there's a difference between being vocal about your displeasure with what's happening vs idiotically and passively capturing it on your cameraphone.

Weren't people filming it to make a record of what actually happened, so that the police could be held accountable?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Weren't people filming it to make a record of what actually happened, so that the police could be held accountable?

Maybe I watched the film too quickly, but there's a girl standing in the background at the end who looks like she's filming a holiday video. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but there's a complete absence of shock and horror in her look.

shudder

it's funny, tho. I must say that I was shocked and horrified the first time this happened (to the kid in the library), and now, so much less so. I'm happy I'm no longer living in the US.