Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: bloody miserable

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    "You too"

I suppose so...

There are some things constantly on my mind at the moment, people ask me what's wrong but I don't like to talk about it. Maybe I should see a shrink, but you wait ages on the NHS, they are understaffed and have to deal with people who are a real threat to themselves and others because of very extreme conditions.

Ah well, eh.
    WHat you can get out of the NHS so depends on what area/doctor you find yourself with. Sometimes getting to the top of waiting lists can be quicker than you think.

Mood swings are awful, though. You can be happy as larry sitting at your desk sorting out boring crap, and miserable as fuck in social situations where it would be a lot more polite to be cheerful. There seems to be less and less correlation between my moods and the actual events in my life. It doesn't matter what's going on, you just have to hope your mood will be up when it needs to be up and down when it doesn't piss people off.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    I'm fucking brilliant at the moment, I made the move from doing curation to making my own work fulltime and spent the past two years doing a masters and working flat out on a piece of work that I've finally finished, and the response about it has been brilliant so far, and I've just spent the last two weeks doing nothing for maybe the first time in eight years. I've got a great partner, a lovely flat, and I make music with some of the best and funniest people I know, and this year we even went on tour with it.

I still feel great even though my sister, her cat and my best mate's girlfriend all died horribly this year, and I totally refuse to let anything life puts in my way from not making me feel absolutely, totally fantastic. Even an armed raid on the house next door yesterday with 10 police cars and machine-gun clad stasi won't stop me from feeling great. Just being alive is such a gift.

'Dare' by The Human League really helps as well, I find.

I hope something works, I got so sick of being depressed in my 20s that I just refuse to now, but it's hard sometimes, alot of the time even.
    That's inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by gek-opel View Post
    Did this actually happen?!?
    Yup! Yesterday was one of those days. The somalian kids next door haven't worked out that the feds are in a bigger gang than they are yet, and were brandishing a gun down the street. I dont think they've got any parental-type figures around, it all seems to be cousins and they're just digging holes for themselves.

Armed response took ages though. I don't like police with guns, they scare me more than citizens with them for some reason.

Then I got on the tube and there was a bomb scare.

So today I went and watched the Burmese guys protesting for democracy outside the embassy in Mayfair. They were hard at it, and then they took a lunch break! On a protest for democracy! How great is that!

London feels like a film at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    WHat you can get out of the NHS so depends on what area/doctor you find yourself with. Sometimes getting to the top of waiting lists can be quicker than you think.
    I'm trying. You just get messed about though. Would seeing a professional help? Do I even deserve to feel better? My GP offered me anti-depressants but no way am I taking them, it's a fucking racket for the drug companies and I know people who have been on them for years and can't get off them because their serotonin level crashes and they can't naturally make any more.

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    Do I even deserve to feel better?
    Bloody hell mate - you're not catholic are you?

Don't stop talking to people about it, and try and keep a good handle on the things you can control. I found that was what brought me out of a time when I felt so miserable that nothing really felt good (or bad) anymore.

Things have always been a bit grim, of course. If it's not trans-global paranoia and idiots in the White House (Bush), it's the Domino Theory and idiots in the White House (Nixon). If it's not 40% unemployment in mid-80's New Zealand and Thatcher's Britain, it's AIDS in Africa and chest-thumping in Kashmir in 2007, and so on.

Hard one to figure out, of course. Don't stop trying...

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    Bloody hell mate - you're not catholic are you?
    Raised catholic, not too strict though.

re: armed police raids

happened in my street last year too.
    i didn't notice until the daily mail rang my doorbell to see if i had anything nasty to say about any local brown people.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    re: armed police raids

happened in my street last year too.
    i didn't notice until the daily mail rang my doorbell to see if i had anything nasty to say about any local brown people.
    Lol we just had a posh doctor move in downstairs so I told him that the neighbourhood had totally gone downhill since he moved in...

I've had a filthy cold and so have most people I see on a daily basis. Typical change of the season thing.

But I'm not bad apart from that. I've been spending too much time in the post office, but that's because Woofah has been a runaway success and people keep ordering it.

Plus, we constructed 90% of a shed at the weekend, which is pretty great in my book.

Oh yeah and I managed to play a few records together at the same tempo and all that shit, which is old news to everyone else in the world but I've never really been arsed about it before.

I think breaking patterns is quite a good way of throwing off them blues, and without sounding too pious we could probably all do with spending less time online, me included.

I have a jazz afficionado downstairs, he tries not to get angry about my loud techno because i never complain about loud jazz.

about counselling and all that.... i really felt it was a waste of time, a voice inside me was saying "do you think i haven't thought of THAT?" - i felt like my intelligence was being insulted.

this is probably totally wrong for others but for me talking about it is the worst thing to do, just get on with things, be busy, if you go on to your friends about being depressed, even the most caring and sympathetic ones will get tired of you eventually. pretend to have fun and soon you will forget you are pretending.

yes you deserve to be happy,swears, you are not a murderer or anything are you?
    don't take antidepressants unless you're really mentally ill, doing dangerous things. if you're just having mood swings and getting depressed (even REALLY depressed) then... newsflash!! that's life, everyone has the same problem, be a man and deal with it (that applies to the ladies too).

i say this with 100% sympathy and empathy, i know all about being depressed, desperate, miserable and mental but you just have to decide not to let it ruin your life.

anyway, like frankie beverley says:
    joy and pain are like sunshine and rain

so take the rough and turn it into ruff!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post

about counselling and all that.... i really felt it was a waste of time, a voice inside me was saying "do you think i haven't thought of THAT?" - i felt like my intelligence was being insulted.
    :
    I never thought counselling was much cop until a mate of mine ended up getting a high-end business job in New York, getting up at 4.30 in the morning to work until 7 at night when he went to the gym, got home, ate and went to bed. He'd thought moving to New York was going to be the best thing in the world, but after three months he'd literally met no-one, and was horribly miserable. He went to a counsellor, just to talk to them every week about his life, and I really saw the benefit of them then, sometimes there isn't anyone to talk to.

well true but he obviously made a wrong decision to work 4:30am until 7pm and should've changed his mind about it IMO

this is probably totally wrong for others but for me talking about it is the worst thing to do
    Actually, yeah - banging on and on and on about it to all and sundry probably won't help that much. I was lucky enough to have one or two people I was able to talk to in confidence and at length, and talking to them was the trigger for a fuller recognition of what was going on in my head. Just another way of bringing structure to an inchoate mass of feelings, which was the important thing for me; finding something to hang everything on...

Actually, Swears, coming on here and finding that I wasn't the only person in the world who dug on Scritti Politti was pretty cool! Even in the endlessly networked world we live in, it's still easy to feel alone and it's those small connections that have been keeping me going recently...