bloody miserable

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Well yes, but you can have charity, morality etc. without religion, can't you? And while you can still have war, oppression etc. without religion, too, I think many examples of these would be less bad or non-existent if it weren't for religion.

There are people around these parts who'll tell you that charity is a fundamentally awful thing, too - although I'm not one of them.

awful that some poeple should be in situations where they have to 'rely' upon charity, certainly.

crackerjack

Well yes, but you can have charity, morality etc. without religion, can't you? And while you can still have war, oppression etc. without religion, too, I think many examples of these would be less bad or non-existent if it weren't for religion.

There are people around these parts who'll tell you that charity is a fundamentally awful thing, too - although I'm not one of them.

Of course you can - I'm not talking about what is hypothetically possible, but what actually motivates people in the actual world. The simple fact is - and although I can't bring them to hand, every single study of western societies I've seen has backed this up - that religiously motivated peolpe are more inclined to do 'good works'. And yeah, i'm familiar with the anti-charity line, but on the whole I'm not buying it (though I'm sure we can all find examples to back it up).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Then we need DISORGANISED RELIGION! People turning up to church at all different times, some of them reading from the King James version, a few priests trying to conduct a Mass in one corner, a load of black folks in nice outifts have a good sing-along over at the other end, some Muslims trying to study the Qu'ran and wishing the gospellers would shut up so they can concentrate, a bald dude in an orange robe meditating in a vestibule... :D

And who better to bring this new age of disorganisation into fruitless reality than the British government!?! Join religion and state once more!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
How much worse, though, to be in the same situation but not receiving any charity at all...?

Couldn't agree more. However, I do find that a lot of charity work facilitates the process by which unfeasibly rich people can buy a clean conscience for a pittance.

vimothy

yurp
Couldn't agree more. However, I do find that a lot of charity work facilitates the process by which unfeasibly rich people can buy a clean conscience for a pittance.

There was an interesting little piece on Current TV a week or two ago, where some Africans were complaining about how patronising many charities are. They said that a lot of charities providing aid want to do so in a way that is consistent with the "lifestyles" and traditions of Africa, leading to them supplying technologically very inferior stuff when modern, much better products are available.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
There was an interesting little piece on Current TV a week or two ago, where some Africans were complaining about how patronising many charities are. They said that a lot of charities providing aid want to do so in a way that is consistent with the "lifestyles" and traditions of Africa, leading to them supplying technologically very inferior stuff when modern, much better products are available.

Interesting. I think it's fair enough to make a mistake once, but not listening to the people you're supposed to be hleping is unforgivable, and I'm presuming that these opinions will have been expressed directly to the charities concerned at some stage.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm presuming that these opinions will have been expressed directly to the charities concerned at some stage.

They did actually send someone to speak to charity director Penelope Well-Meaning, but all she could make out was "Um-bongo-bongo", unfortunately.

Immryr

i for one, am feeling pretty great at the moment. lots of things seem to be coming together really nicely for me and im alot busier than i have been for ages.

i did start taking the food suppliment 5-HTP a few months ago, which is supposed to raise your serotonin levels, and i have to say i definitely noticed a difference. i was alot more cheerful than i had been in years. a few of my friends have been taking it too, to similar good effect, so i'd definitely recommend that.

im not taking it currently though (and havent been for a month or so), so im not sure how much it has to do with my continued good mood.

Mr. Cheese

Paternal Reassurance
I’m always told I’m such an upbeat man, so I must be doing something right. My words of advice:

* Drink very sparingly
* Don’t do drugs
* Don’t smoke
* Cut down on sugar (but fat food is ok if it’s quality food)
* Join a gym
* Take a walk every morning

The bottom line: it’s matter over mind — if you feel bad, the answer to your woes shall be found in your physical health.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I suppose we should all avoid using swear words and be tucked up in bed by 9.30 as well, huh? ;)

crackerjack

I’m always told I’m such an upbeat man, so I must be doing something right. My words of advice:

* Drink very sparingly
* Don’t do drugs
* Don’t smoke
* Join a gym

The bottom line: it’s matter over mind — if you feel bad, the answer to your woes shall be found in your physical health.

Take a walk and join a gym!? What kind of crazed bootcamp are you running?

mms

sometimes
re: armed police raids

happened in my street last year too.
i didn't notice until the daily mail rang my doorbell to see if i had anything nasty to say about any local brown people.

haha i was around that day.

i've been seeing a hypnotherapist about my incredibly bad insomnia. Sometimes its worked but i think it might be a bit like tai chi, culmulative, but then i might be just getting robbed with that attitude too.

lots of grimness seems to be going on around me at the mo, meanness and unconnected unhappy people. You get that sometimes though, but i had two bits of other peoples good news today and played some good gags at work so the meter has risen a bit.

zhao

there are no accidents

* Drink very sparingly
* Don’t do drugs
* Don’t smoke
* Join a gym

yes very good advice. i've given it and taken it.

but... just for the sake of telling it because it's so fucking intense... of course a special case, an exception... true story:

my ex had a roomate 2 years ago: a beautiful california blonde. just finished UCLA, and was working as a textile designer. all my friends that have met her are like HOLY SHIT she's hot. but her personality was even more sunny. she used to brighten up every room she entered. pure positive energy. funny and kind. the 3 of us had some good times. she used to excercise all the time. my ex tells me every time she was a bit down, she went jogging on the beach (they lived in Santa Monica, 5 minutes from the surf, sun, and sand). one thing though: she hated "depressing music". every time my ex would put on Portishead or whatever she would get annoyed. she dated only rich, handsome, and charming men. the last boyfriend she had owned several flower shops in the city.

3 months after she moved out and got her own place, the flowers guy came over and found her in her best dress, lying in the bathtub, dead. with an empty bottle of whiskey and a bottle of sleeping pills with exactly 15 or 20 or how ever many is necessary for an effective overdose missing, and a note beside her, which was addressed to her family and friends. it basically said: "please don't blame yourself. it's not your fault. i just can't stand the pain any longer."

we were all absolutely gutted. she was 26 years old.

bassnation

the abyss

* Drink very sparingly
* Don’t do drugs
* Don’t smoke
* Join a gym

i definitely think all those things can effect your state of mind, but you have to be careful not to confuse symptoms with cause. a lot of people drink and do drugs to avoid emotional pain. the source of the emotional pain is not the drugs, but they definitely don't help. burying things generally doesn't work.

i know people who are caners but still have sunny dispositions - i think its more complex than that, but for myself i agree with you - those things certainly don't make me happy but its nice to forget once in a while providing it doesn't become abusive.

zhao

there are no accidents
i *think* the moral of my story, if there is one, is that even physical health and fitness can be a way to avoid and repress.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i definitely think all those things can effect your state of mind, but you have to be careful not to confuse symptoms with cause. a lot of people drink and do drugs to avoid emotional pain. the source of the emotional pain is not the drugs, but they definitely don't help. burying things generally doesn't work.

i know people who are caners but still have sunny dispositions - i think its more complex than that, but for myself i agree with you - those things certainly don't make me happy but its nice to forget once in a while providing it doesn't become abusive.

This is all very, very true.

I am personally an evangelist for talking therapies (informally or with a professional), and have found it far more useful than seeking solace in drinking/drugs (which I have also done).

I also think the balance between the extent to which external circumstances and 'internal circumstances' (ie the state of one's mind) determine one's mood, is different for every person.