bloody miserable

S

simon silverdollar

i'm really very happy at the moment, to the point where i don't see how my life could get much better: i've got a lovely girlfriend, a nice flat, great friends, living in an exciting city, doing a course that really interests me, and getting as much music for free as i can listen to. i'm sure i'm ripe for a fall, but at the moment it's fantastic.

weirdly, though, i've only learnt to appreciate these things in the past few months; previously my default mood was a kind of anxious, dwelling on worse-case scenario worrying. i think two things have helped me to be happier:

-to not think about work at all when i'm at home. i need to switch off somehow otherwise i'm completely unsociable and miserable, just going over the same thoughts about work again and again. i find that cooking is the easiest way to switch off. drinking is also good, but my hangovers are getting more and more crippling as i get older.

-secondly, doing regular exercise.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Lol we just had a posh doctor move in downstairs so I told him that the neighbourhood had totally gone downhill since he moved in...
this is the funniest thing i've read in ages. btw jim, send me a message with your email address if you can i want to bend your ear about a couple of things music-related.

a colleague once said to me that i had three moods: furious, hungry and drunk.

i don't think this is strictly true, because i'm reasonably cheerful today.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
It's like...if I was swanning around being confident, meeting new people, being enthusiastic about things, happy in work, being all lovey dovey with someone, trying to be "creative" and generally being upbeat, then that would just all be bullshit. It's not me, it seems impossible, I sort of wish it wasn't...I dunno.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's like...if I was swanning around being confident, meeting new people, being enthusiastic about things, happy in work, being all lovey dovey with someone, trying to be "creative" and generally being upbeat, then that would just all be bullshit. It's not me, it seems impossible, I sort of wish it wasn't...I dunno.

One thing that really riles me is the people who tell me that I'm pessimistic and/or miserable - it's partly a persona cos anger/miserabilism is just funnier! I'd rather be someone who has passions than someone who just smiles blithely at everything....

zhao

there are no accidents
It's not me

it's not you because...

it just so happens the first 20 or 30 years of your life was lived under certain conditions which contributed to you being predominantly unhappy?

but how can you be sure if that's really you? i mean you'd be a different person if you had a different childhood probably.

does the definition of "you" have to be limited to the way you have been, the life you are used to?

zhao

there are no accidents
I'd rather be someone who has passions than someone who just smiles blithely at everything....

i know what you mean but the 2 are surely not mutually exclusive:

Photo_von_John_Cage.jpg

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Fair enough!

I also find ruthlessly positive people are very unfunny. When was the last time a motivational guru (intentionally) made you laugh, after all?!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I really don't find harry Hill funny, must say. Thought there are doubtless some upbeat people I do find amusing. Demetri Martin, for example. But after a while I find I don't like him as much as I do the comics who use darker material.

For example, the Peep Show episode about sectioning is one of the things that has made me laugh the most in recent years.

I do find Rik Mayall bizarrely amusing, actually. He's upbeat. Maybe it's the edge of sanity that I find funny, then.

zhao

there are no accidents
i think the stereo type of the depressed artist is a damaging one.

over and over you see young people romanticising the notion... (i used to myself)

depression is NOT condusive of creativity.

anger has to be TRANSFORMED into creative energy. by itself it's just immobilizing.

zhao

there are no accidents
Case in point: 'emo'. :mad:

i think the word emo came from a trend in the late 80s of DC Hardcore band members breaking down on stage and crying. what it has come to mean is a subculture based on wallowing in self pity.

should elaborate... arguably most good modern music is of a dark nature. from Penderecki to Joy Division.
partly i think because there is a constant and ever present, maybe unconscious, subtext of catastrophe that runs through all artistic output of the 20th Century. (and beyond that, maybe civilization itself)

but... shit i haven't the time to write a cohesive essay on this gargantuan subject.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh sure, I'm aware of the historical pedigree of 'emo-core' as such, I'm just talking about the fashionable little mascara-caked self-harmers who infest LiveJournal and MySpace...

bruno

est malade
if you want to avoid emo you have to avoid life itself, there are a million young werthers gestating and just as many shedding their first tear as we speak :)

STN

sou'wester
Aren't they just goths though? I'd thought emo was stuff like Serpico and Bob Tilton. Am I just an old fool?