bloody miserable

mms

sometimes
is anyone else having the experience that they're having a miserable time and so is everyone around them?
can someone on dissensus tell me they're having a great time and tell me why and i'll feel alot happier.even if i'm feeling 20% happier than i was say an hour ago at any point something 30% more shit will come along and mess that up.

i felt better for a bit by listening to satta massa gana by the Abyssinians but that's stopped now.

please let me know that you're having a great time and why/

swears

preppy-kei
I've been feeling pretty low for the last couple of years at least, won't bore you with the details. We live in pretty grim times though, perhaps we always have, but it just really sank in recently.

There are happy people around. Optimistic people, creative people that are able to express themselves, people in happy relationships, people that just don't give a fuck, people with good social skills, etc...

mms

sometimes
I've been feeling pretty low for the last couple of years at least, won't bore you with the details. We live in pretty grim times though, perhaps we always have, but it just really sank in recently.

There are happy people around. Optimistic people, creative people that are able to express themselves, people in happy relationships, people that just don't give a fuck, people with good social skills, etc...

i've got most of thse things and the ppl around me have too, but we're miserable.

swears

preppy-kei
No offence, but perhaps you're a bit ungrateful?

EDIT: lol that's a bit rude.

Maybe you should "count your blessings."

crackerjack

Dude, my best friend is an English born Iraqi. She's currently dealing with the bureaucratic nightmare of trying to get her parents (Iraqi exiles living in a neighbouring Arab country) into this country. If she fails, either they stay where they are for the rest of their lives - no foreign travel, no more work - or go back to the peaceful democratic republic of Iraq they left after the Baathists came to power to face fuck knows what.

If she succeeds, she has to do her best to support them. Though she has a good job, and this wouldn't be as impossible for her as it might for some, this is still gonna blow a massive hole in her income and lifestyle. She is easily the most cheerful, popular, person i know.

Sorry, I know 'fings could be worse' probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but a little perspective never hurts.

swears

preppy-kei
"You too"

I suppose so...

There are some things constantly on my mind at the moment, people ask me what's wrong but I don't like to talk about it. Maybe I should see a shrink, but you wait ages on the NHS, they are understaffed and have to deal with people who are a real threat to themselves and others because of very extreme conditions.

Ah well, eh.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I'm a miserable cunt!

Always have been.

also...
even if i'm feeling 20% happier than i was say an hour ago at any point something 30% more shit will come along and mess that up./

This is startlingly precise!

you fucking miserable sods, snap out of it.

i went to some counselling recently for being miserable, total waste of time, i can sort it out myself.

you can be happy or unhappy and it's got almost nothing to do with what's going on, it's just how you choose to approach things.

personally i am gonna see my nephew tomorrow, doing 3 gigs this weekend, got a job making music for an arcade game, it's all good.

loads of things make me miserable like politics, no prospects of being in love or anything like that etc, but sod it, just decide to be positive, do something, be busy.

anyway give me ring anytime for a chat, marcus. don't want to think of you being miz.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
i went to some counselling recently for being miserable, total waste of time, i can sort it out myself.

Seconded... however it does seem to help some people apparently... the temptation though is to turn it into some kind of battle of wills, rather than some kind of creative collaboration.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I'm fucking brilliant at the moment, I made the move from doing curation to making my own work fulltime and spent the past two years doing a masters and working flat out on a piece of work that I've finally finished, and the response about it has been brilliant so far, and I've just spent the last two weeks doing nothing for maybe the first time in eight years. I've got a great partner, a lovely flat, and I make music with some of the best and funniest people I know, and this year we even went on tour with it.

I still feel great even though my sister, her cat and my best mate's girlfriend all died horribly this year, and I totally refuse to let anything life puts in my way from not making me feel absolutely, totally fantastic. Even an armed raid on the house next door yesterday with 10 police cars and machine-gun clad stasi won't stop me from feeling great. Just being alive is such a gift.

'Dare' by The Human League really helps as well, I find.

I hope something works, I got so sick of being depressed in my 20s that I just refuse to now, but it's hard sometimes, alot of the time even.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
"You too"

I suppose so...

There are some things constantly on my mind at the moment, people ask me what's wrong but I don't like to talk about it. Maybe I should see a shrink, but you wait ages on the NHS, they are understaffed and have to deal with people who are a real threat to themselves and others because of very extreme conditions.

Ah well, eh.

WHat you can get out of the NHS so depends on what area/doctor you find yourself with. Sometimes getting to the top of waiting lists can be quicker than you think.

swears

preppy-kei
Mood swings are awful, though. You can be happy as larry sitting at your desk sorting out boring crap, and miserable as fuck in social situations where it would be a lot more polite to be cheerful. There seems to be less and less correlation between my moods and the actual events in my life. It doesn't matter what's going on, you just have to hope your mood will be up when it needs to be up and down when it doesn't piss people off.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'm fucking brilliant at the moment, I made the move from doing curation to making my own work fulltime and spent the past two years doing a masters and working flat out on a piece of work that I've finally finished, and the response about it has been brilliant so far, and I've just spent the last two weeks doing nothing for maybe the first time in eight years. I've got a great partner, a lovely flat, and I make music with some of the best and funniest people I know, and this year we even went on tour with it.

I still feel great even though my sister, her cat and my best mate's girlfriend all died horribly this year, and I totally refuse to let anything life puts in my way from not making me feel absolutely, totally fantastic. Even an armed raid on the house next door yesterday with 10 police cars and machine-gun clad stasi won't stop me from feeling great. Just being alive is such a gift.

'Dare' by The Human League really helps as well, I find.

I hope something works, I got so sick of being depressed in my 20s that I just refuse to now, but it's hard sometimes, alot of the time even.

That's inspiring. :)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Did this actually happen?!?

Yup! Yesterday was one of those days. The somalian kids next door haven't worked out that the feds are in a bigger gang than they are yet, and were brandishing a gun down the street. I dont think they've got any parental-type figures around, it all seems to be cousins and they're just digging holes for themselves.

Armed response took ages though. I don't like police with guns, they scare me more than citizens with them for some reason.

Then I got on the tube and there was a bomb scare.

So today I went and watched the Burmese guys protesting for democracy outside the embassy in Mayfair. They were hard at it, and then they took a lunch break! On a protest for democracy! How great is that!

London feels like a film at the moment.

swears

preppy-kei
WHat you can get out of the NHS so depends on what area/doctor you find yourself with. Sometimes getting to the top of waiting lists can be quicker than you think.

I'm trying. You just get messed about though. Would seeing a professional help? Do I even deserve to feel better? My GP offered me anti-depressants but no way am I taking them, it's a fucking racket for the drug companies and I know people who have been on them for years and can't get off them because their serotonin level crashes and they can't naturally make any more.