Dissensus Upgrades

Woebot

I got a letter from the government the other day, I opened and read it it said they were suckers.

Weeeel, actually it was an email from the people who host dissensus and it said this:

I'm contacting you regarding resource usage for your account dissensus.com on A Small Orange Software's hosting service. We've found your account is using a large amount of CPU time and memory in the system, in excess of what is allowable for a shared hosting account. We would like to work with you to bring the usage by your site down to more acceptable levels, or migrate it to an appropriate level of service, such as a VPS.

If there are any optimizations that can be made to your site's scripts, that would be most helpful in bringing down usage. Alternatively, you may want to consider some content changes to reduce traffic to the more resource intensive parts of your site. Although, we really don't want you to compromise your site's quality in any way if it's avoidable.

Please reply to let us know how you plan to proceed and if you need any help with this process.​

Dissensus is just too darned popular! What this does mean that my honeymoon with dissensus's "lifetime" account is over. See http://dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=6072 for details.

I did look at getting it hosted by a third party, but I think it's important that it remain as neutral a space as possible, with as little agenda as possible (I try to be as transparent as I can, but two vested interests striving for transparency starts to get a little opaque)- so I bit the bullet and shelled out $500 for a whole years hosting fees on a VPS.

$323 of that $500 will be covered by the very generous contributions to the Bandwidth Fund (which after we dropped stuff like Images hosted on the space was surplus to requirements) and I'm more than happy to pick up the remaining $177. However next year I may come a knocking with my begging bowl.

There will probably be a days disturbance and then it'll be, not business as usual- because I suspect the new space will a lot quicker!

Woebot

no i'm absolutely fine at the moment

BUT

this time next year (presuming the human race is still alive, tee hee) it'd be greatly appreciated

Leo

no i'm absolutely fine at the moment

BUT

this time next year (presuming the human race is still alive, tee hee) it'd be greatly appreciated

you are far too kind, no reason you should have to bear both the management AND financial burdens. why not just leave an ongoing paypal link for donations? kicking in a bit of scratch is well worth the amount of time and value we get out of this forum.

Woebot

well that seemed to take forever.

the DNS settings got totally scrambled:

"There was also a problem with your DNS zone for this domain not have an A record. I set this up and this is now resolving to your VPS server now."

however i have noticed that the site is super-responsive. nice!

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Phew... Had withdrawal symptoms for a moment there, had to console myself with reading blog archives (interesting stuff about that techno-in-Africa film you made Woebot...)

THANKS BTW.

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yeah he went to Africa in the early 90s to make a film about playing techno there-- its in his archves around 2003 I think.