Worst Mistake in History of Human Race

zhao

there are no accidents
Re: what do we do with these recent archaeological findings, in practical terms, to bring about a radical change in human life:

i honestly haven't gotten there yet.

but one set of answers might be a return of various social forms and functions from the past which have been neglected in recent times.

our (or at least mine) teenage pop-guru Peter Lamborn Wilson (Hakim Bey) advocated things like the dinner party or the the quilting bee as revolutionary act --- to occupy time within a group outside of "commodity-order", outside of "spectacle", creatively, and of one's own free will -- inventing games to play, etc. rebuilding a sense of *true* community in over coming proscribed alienation.

also the revolutionary "secret society" for the common people -- a return of clandestinity, to engage in fun and also "criminal" activities such as smuggling and the trading of goods outside of the market place -- a private economy which exists within global capitalism.

1. First, we can speak of a natural anthropology of the Temporary Autonomous Zone. The nuclear family is the base unit of consensus society, but not of the TAZ. ("Families!--how I hate them! the misers of love!"--Gide) The nuclear family, with its attendant "oedipal miseries," appears to have been a Neolithic invention, a response to the "agricultural revolution" with its imposed scarcity and its imposed hierarchy. The Paleolithic model is at once more primal and more radical: the band. The typical hunter/gatherer nomadic or semi- nomadic band consists of about 50 people. Within larger tribal societies the band-structure is fulfilled by clans within the tribe, or by sodalities such as initiatic or secret societies, hunt or war societies, gender societies, "children's republics," and so on. If the nuclear family is produced by scarcity (and results in miserliness), the band is produced by abundance--and results in prodigality. The family is closed, by genetics, by the male's possession of women and children, by the hierarchic totality of agricultural/industrial society. The band is open--not to everyone, of course, but to the affinity group, the initiates sworn to a bond of love. The band is not part of a larger hierarchy, but rather part of a horizontal pattern of custom, extended kinship, contract and alliance, spiritual affinities, etc. (American Indian society preserves certain aspects of this structure even now.)

In our own post-Spectacular Society of Simulation many forces are working--largely invisibly--to phase out the nuclear family and bring back the band. Breakdowns in the structure of Work resonate in the shattered "stability" of the unit-home and unit-family. One's "band" nowadays includes friends, ex-spouses and lovers, people met at different jobs and pow-wows, affinity groups, special interest networks, mail networks, etc. The nuclear family becomes more and more obviously a trap, a cultural sinkhole, a neurotic secret implosion of split atoms--and the obvious counter-strategy emerges spontaneously in the almost unconscious rediscovery of the more archaic and yet more post-industrial possibility of the band.

2. The TAZ as festival. Stephen Pearl Andrews once offered, as an image of anarchist society, the dinner party, in which all structure of authority dissolves in conviviality and celebration (see Appendix C). Here we might also invoke Fourier and his concept of the senses as the basis of social becoming--"touch-rut" and "gastrosophy," and his paean to the neglected implications of smell and taste. The ancient concepts of jubilee and saturnalia originate in an intuition that certain events lie outside the scope of "profane time," the measuring-rod of the State and of History. These holidays literally occupied gaps in the calendar--intercalary intervals. By the Middle Ages, nearly a third of the year was given over to holidays. Perhaps the riots against calendar reform had less to do with the "eleven lost days" than with a sense that imperial science was conspiring to close up these gaps in the calendar where the people's freedoms had accumulated--a coup d'etat, a mapping of the year, a seizure of time itself, turning the organic cosmos into a clockwork universe. The death of the festival.

Participants in insurrection invariably note its festive aspects, even in the midst of armed struggle, danger, and risk. The uprising is like a saturnalia which has slipped loose (or been forced to vanish) from its intercalary interval and is now at liberty to pop up anywhere or when. Freed of time and place, it nevertheless possesses a nose for the ripeness of events, and an affinity for the genius loci; the science of psychotopology indicates "flows of forces" and "spots of power" (to borrow occultist metaphors) which localize the TAZ spatio-temporally, or at least help to define its relation to moment and locale.

The media invite us to "come celebrate the moments of your life" with the spurious unification of commodity and spectacle, the famous non-event of pure representation. In response to this obscenity we have, on the one hand, the spectrum of refusal (chronicled by the Situationists, John Zerzan, Bob Black et al.)--and on the other hand, the emergence of a festal culture removed and even hidden from the would-be managers of our leisure. "Fight for the right to party" is in fact not a parody of the radical struggle but a new manifestation of it, appropriate to an age which offers TVs and telephones as ways to "reach out and touch" other human beings, ways to "Be There!"

Pearl Andrews was right: the dinner party is already "the seed of the new society taking shape within the shell of the old" (IWW Preamble). The sixties-style "tribal gathering," the forest conclave of eco-saboteurs, the idyllic Beltane of the neo-pagans, anarchist conferences, gay faery circles...Harlem rent parties of the twenties, nightclubs, banquets, old-time libertarian picnics--we should realize that all these are already "liberated zones" of a sort, or at least potential TAZs. Whether open only to a few friends, like a dinner party, or to thousands of celebrants, like a Be-In, the party is always "open" because it is not "ordered"; it may be planned, but unless it "happens" it's a failure. The element of spontaneity is crucial.

The essence of the party: face-to-face, a group of humans synergize their efforts to realize mutual desires, whether for good food and cheer, dance, conversation, the arts of life; perhaps even for erotic pleasure, or to create a communal artwork, or to attain the very transport of bliss-- in short, a "union of egoists" (as Stirner put it) in its simplest form--or else, in Kropotkin's terms, a basic biological drive to "mutual aid." (Here we should also mention Bataille's "economy of excess" and his theory of potlatch culture.)

zhao

there are no accidents
continued:

3. Vital in shaping TAZ reality is the concept of psychic nomadism (or as we jokingly call it, "rootless cosmopolitanism"). Aspects of this phenomenon have been discussed by Deleuze and Guattari in Nomadology and the War Machine, by Lyotard in Driftworks and by various authors in the "Oasis" issue of Semiotext(e). We use the term "psychic nomadism" here rather than "urban nomadism," "nomadology," "driftwork," etc., simply in order to garner all these concepts into a single loose complex, to be studied in light of the coming- into-being of the TAZ. "The death of God," in some ways a de-centering of the entire "European" project, opened a multi-perspectived post- ideological worldview able to move "rootlessly" from philosophy to tribal myth, from natural science to Taoism-- able to see for the first time through eyes like some golden insect's, each facet giving a view of an entirely other world.

But this vision was attained at the expense of inhabiting an epoch where speed and "commodity fetishism" have created a tyrannical false unity which tends to blur all cultural diversity and individuality, so that "one place is as good as another." This paradox creates "gypsies," psychic travellers driven by desire or curiosity, wanderers with shallow loyalties (in fact disloyal to the "European Project" which has lost all its charm and vitality), not tied down to any particular time and place, in search of diversity and adventure...This description covers not only the X-class artists and intellectuals but also migrant laborers, refugees, the "homeless," tourists, the RV and mobile-home culture--also people who "travel" via the Net, but may never leave their own rooms (or those like Thoreau who "have travelled much--in Concord"); and finally it includes "everybody," all of us, living through our automobiles, our vacations, our TVs, books, movies, telephones, changing jobs, changing "lifestyles," religions, diets, etc., etc.

Psychic nomadism as a tactic, what Deleuze & Guattari metaphorically call "the war machine," shifts the paradox from a passive to an active and perhaps even "violent" mode. "God"'s last throes and deathbed rattles have been going on for such a long time--in the form of Capitalism, Fascism, and Communism, for example--that there's still a lot of "creative destruction" to be carried out by post-Bakuninist post-Nietzschean commandos or apaches (literally "enemies") of the old Consensus. These nomads practice the razzia, they are corsairs, they are viruses; they have both need and desire for TAZs, camps of black tents under the desert stars, interzones, hidden fortified oases along secret caravan routes, "liberated" bits of jungle and bad-land, no-go areas, black markets, and underground bazaars.

These nomads chart their courses by strange stars, which might be luminous clusters of data in cyberspace, or perhaps hallucinations. Lay down a map of the land; over that, set a map of political change; over that, a map of the Net, especially the counter-Net with its emphasis on clandestine information-flow and logistics--and finally, over all, the 1:1 map of the creative imagination, aesthetics, values. The resultant grid comes to life, animated by unexpected eddies and surges of energy, coagulations of light, secret tunnels, surprises.

zhao

there are no accidents
And with what population, i.e. how would future primitivism deal with the "Malthusian limit" nature imposes? Or, do you, like Gek, believe that this limit is actually some kind of apex in any case ("not poverty")?

(For a good visualisation of the Malthusian limit, go here and turn to page 2, figure 1.1)

that Gregory Clark book looks interesting. but i could not find a chart? page 2 seems inaccessable to me... do you have to pay for it or something?

i'm not sure how these folks attempt to deal with the coming resource crisis. maybe, and i'm just guessing here, they, like Gek, look forward to it as necessary catalyst for the kind of social change they advocate?

i just got Collapse the latest by Diamond. can't wait to dig in :D

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
I think that I would be worried that TAZ-style politics, whether one calls it Immediatism, future primitivism or just plain anarchism, devolves into the kind of lifestyle anarchism typified by CrimethInc - you know, just have fun, go travelling, live out of dumpsters. Can it affect change across society more broadly? I mean, Wilson must surely (great writer, bad politics, IMO) realise that his kind of refusenik saturnalia is impossible without capitalism to exploit.

vimothy

yurp
that Gregory Clark book looks interesting. but i could not find a chart? page 2 seems inaccessable to me... do you have to pay for it or something?

No you just cycle through the pages. Page 2 follows the the contents and introduction - it's actually about six pages in.

It's here:

worldhistory.jpg

zhao

there are no accidents
I think that I would be worried that TAZ-style politics, whether one calls it Immediatism, future primitivism or just plain anarchism, devolves into the kind of lifestyle anarchism typified by CrimethInc - you know, just have fun, go travelling, live out of dumpsters. Can it affect change across society more broadly? I mean, Wilson must surely (great writer, bad politics, IMO) realise that his kind of refusenik saturnalia is impossible without capitalism to exploit.

good points... these theories and guides are of course anything but worked out... they are full of problems and contradictions.

i have no answers nor, i suspect, does anyone else :(

that chart looks to be drawn with the same hockey stick Gore used in his movie... i guess in all likelihood we come to the same boring conclusion -- "we is all of us fucked and ain't shit no one can do about it" :( :(

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
What this whole period of 'history' has given us is tremendous advances technology and scientific understanding - there's no way we should or could chuck that out so it has to merged with some of the lost ideas from the distant past. At the moment we are seriously under-utilising the tech that we have / can do. So I say to you: FUCKEN ROBOTS PEOPLE! ;)

OK - first step is to build massive solar powered generators in space that can beam down energy to earth - I think the major problems with having permanent cables running into orbit have been more or less solved now in theory using nano construction of massively long carbon molecules - anyway, there must be a way to do it. Then we need to take all that water that is causing the ocean levels to rise and pump it into the outback of Australia and other deserts, turning them into huge farms. Then we get loads of robots to do all the physical work. There's bound to be enough people who will be interested enough in the engineering side of things to make this work.

zhao

there are no accidents
OK - first step is to build massive solar powered generators in space that can beam down energy to earth - I think the major problems with having permanent cables running into orbit have been more or less solved now in theory using nano construction of massively long carbon molecules - anyway, there must be a way to do it. Then we need to take all that water that is causing the ocean levels to rise and pump it into the outback of Australia and other deserts, turning them into huge farms. Then we get loads of robots to do all the physical work.

i vote we keep this kid around what do you guys think?

john eden

male pale and stale
i vote we keep this kid around what do you guys think?

A big "yay!" here. I think looking back at previous eras is very important and the little I have read shows that life was not completely intolerable before capitalism. But no, I don't want to swap. For me it's harnessing technology and resources in a different/better way, not doing away with it all.

The difficulty I have is that people tend to then project their desires back in time and dig up any old stuff to justify their current beliefs. There is a large dose of romanticising in primitivism and it gives me the creeps, not least because of the large reduction in population which would be required as has been said.

Some friends of mine got into a large and long spat with some UK anarcho-primmies after publishing this piss-taking leaflet about them:

http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/gba.htm

The main difficulty I have I think is that it all ends up being incredibly moralistic and apocalyptic. The group concerned published texts lauding the Unabomber, the Aum cult, Ebola etc and had a very harsh attitutde towards "consumer zombies" and people who claimed the dole, etc. Certainly the bulk of UK anarchist scene decided it wanted nothing to do with them.

zhao

there are no accidents
life was not completely intolerable before capitalism.

The difficulty I have is that people tend to then project their desires back in time and dig up any old stuff to justify their current beliefs. There is a large dose of romanticising in primitivism and it gives me the creeps, not least because of the large reduction in population which would be required as has been said.

i know you are prolly just casually throwing terms around or taking the piss but i'm on about pre-civilization, not pre-capitalism...

sure anarcho-"primmies" might be guilty of romanticizing the past, but capitalism is guilty of painting the past in a horrific light to justify the horrific present.

the idea of an innocence lost long ago is THE most common theme in all of the roots of human stories, in every civilization from egypt, china, australian aboriginies, aztecs, etc., etc.

and to shift the scope to WITHIN the period of civilization, the heights of wisdom, thought, art, and music of glorious past cultures is much more significant than we in modern times care to remember or admit. the Islamic occupation of Spain in the 12th century for example, was a time of flourishing ideas and high culture, with amazing irrigation systems, running water, city planning, etc.

what i'm getting at is the distortion of our modern views, and how many times history has been revised -- and the nature of this distortion is without question along the lines of making our present culture to seem the best and most advanced. while in reality this view is somewhere between gross simplification and complete falsehood.

take for instance the most recent revision of history by the industrialists of the 19th century, who shaped American nationalism through education reform, in building the myth of the East/West divide.

sorry much too big a subject for the time i have at the moment...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The main difficulty I have I think is that it all ends up being incredibly moralistic and apocalyptic. The group concerned published texts lauding the Unabomber, the Aum cult, Ebola etc and had a very harsh attitutde towards "consumer zombies" and people who claimed the dole, etc. Certainly the bulk of UK anarchist scene decided it wanted nothing to do with them.

I'd certainly assume dissing the dole would automatically put you in most anarchist's bad books. This lot sound a bit like 17th-century doomsday Puritans.

Seriously though, does this:
While the far-Right knows it will go nowhere without the Left, many of our Anarchist supporters have yet to realise that it is tactically necessary to adopt the techniques of the Nazis and the Secret State in order to overthrow mass society.
remind you of the pet project of anyone on here?

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Ah but monsignor Tea, my purported project would entail an immanent critique through practice using precisely the tools of avant-capitalism itself... I have also already gone on record as saying that whilst I have some sympathies with an annihilist viewpoint, if realistically pursued to its end it would entail little more than a reversion to a feudalist system at best, which is to be rejected. Indeed such a projects aim is merely to achieve a position whence the landlocked course of history can begin again, a position of creative fecundity, rather than the arid death bowl of the Nazi death camps. The apocalypticism invoked is entirely responsive to the popular imagination of our time, again an ironical critique of its own insanely limited perspective, that there is capitalism or annihilation, and nothing possible outside of this emaciated binary. In which case utopian apocalypticism is to be embraced to the extent that it enables the negation of the warped-time ever-present we are mired in, and actually might give way to the opening out of possibility rather than nihilism, which is entirely to be rejected. Indeed finding an escape from "the death of everything new" of our age is the least nihilistic course of action of all.

I do however know some people who are really down with the whole reduced population thing... they reckon it all went pear shaped when we left the medieval era population wise...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Though I did enjoy the maniacal nature of it. I suspect the piss-take version was somewhat more compelling than the actual target...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Sure, it's obviously not quite the same thing, I was just commenting on the whole idea of using your enemy's own methods as a means of his undoing, 'fighting fire with fire'.

N

nomadologist

continued:

yay for the nomadology references

you all realize that hunter gatherers lived entirely on half rancid meat and our feast-or-famine metabolisms still work according to what worked then. right? this is the reason for the sharp rise in obesity in the developed world--humans simply did not eat refined carbohydrates in the pre-agricultural eras. we have the same basic metabolic functional capacity of a hunter-gatherer, but eat like and aggrarian...or however you spell that

N

nomadologist

of course, the real goal is to become a BwO (body without organs).

two direct paths to the BwO (D&G even list them):

heroin
S&M

one of my favorite questions is: how is a BwO any better/worse than any other virtual body, say, a cyborg from like T2, in effecting any sort of active resistance to capitalism.

(there is a very long answer to this question, and if you bother typing it out, i will pay you to use it for a block quote in this paper i'm writing about kraftwerk's "man machine" vis-a-vis D&G and the "mechanical" process of desire )

Last edited: