Lewisham 1977 anti-NF riot - 30 years on

Transpontine

history is made at night
On vaguely Oi-ish punk, my favourite line would be Police Car by Cockney Rejects:

I like punk, and I like Sham
I got nicked over West Ham

bassnation

the abyss
On vaguely Oi-ish punk, my favourite line would be Police Car by Cockney Rejects:

I like punk, and I like Sham
I got nicked over West Ham

not forgetting peter and the test tube babies' magnum opus, a ditty entitled transvestite:

"Over the hills we go my dear, to my house which is near.
It's a little house with red curtained windows, and a fireplace with red gloving cinders.
There I'm gonna screw the arse off you.

I open the door we step inside, you sit down while I switch on the light.
I pour you a drink while you slip-off your shoes, in my mind I know what to do
I am gonna screw the arse off you.

I kiss your lips slowly while I undo your dress, my hand reaches down to gently caress.
But there's something there that I didn't expect, it's hot and fleshy and it's getting erect.

I've been cheated tonight, transvestite

Is this some kind of joke, you're really a bloke."

crackerjack

not forgetting peter and the test tube babies' magnum opus, a ditty entitled transvestite:

It's a little house with red curtained windows, and a fireplace with red gloving cinders.

I open the door we step inside, you sit down while I switch on the light.
I pour you a drink while you slip-off your shoes, in my mind I know what to do
I am gonna screw the arse off you.

I kiss your lips slowly while I undo your dress, my hand reaches down to gently caress.
But there's something there that I didn't expect, it's hot and fleshy and it's getting erect.

I've been cheated tonight, transvestite

Is this some kind of joke, you're really a bloke."

Did they then segue into Up Yer Bum?

Transpontine

history is made at night

That one is a bit literary for my taste, I prefer that other Peter & the Test Tube Babies one which goes, IIRC,

'Elvis had a heart attack,
'cos he was too bleeding fat'

martin

----
Sorry but the best Oi! lines ever were

wake up in the morning have me ready brek
have me cup of bovril wring me mother's neck
stroll into town beat a soul boy black and blue
put fruit gum in the meter cos there's fuck all else to do

Well, apart from Skrewdriver's "I don't believe in Jesus / No matter what the vicars say".

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
I rest my case.

edit: hang on - is that a Last Resort lyric? It fits Peacehaven Wild Kids beautifully.

Last edited:

martin

----
Skullhead were complete idiots and their records suck, but these lyrics are hilarious (I've swiped it and can't be bothered to correct spelling mistakes)

‘Your Last Chance’
They promised we’d be free, and I believed their lies, while they kept us down, they helped the others rise, coz the national front are nazis, that’s what I was told, and I believed in labour, while Britain was being sold, they sold their papers on the streets, And flew their union jacks, but they were nazis, at least that’s what I was told, so I turned my back, Year by year the party grew, and we were warned of them, smash the nazis on the streets, Smash all Hitler’s men, coz the national front are nazis, that’s I was told, and I believed in labour, while Britain was being sold,
As years went by the blacks they grew, and I was getting scarred, I could not go out at night, as racial violence flared, The whites were mugged, raped and killed, I saw it with my eyes, now was labour telling truth, or were they telling lies, the troops took to the streets, to keep the peace by day, but as the night time came around, they kept out of the way, soon there was a fight, the white minority was dead, I was left alone, hiding with my old mate Ted, Watch out he screamed, here comes the mob, we both ran for our lives, they chased as down an alleyway, armed with switchblade knives, as they came like crazy dogs, doing a war dance, I could see that we were doomed, we never stood as chance, furthermore they came, to join the last white hunt, was then I saw the poster, it said your last chance the national front.

STN

sou'wester
It's the line about 'my old mate Ted' that pushes it from bewildering to risible. I wonder what they're up to now, the bastards...

martin

----
It's the line about 'my old mate Ted' that pushes it from bewildering to risible. I wonder what they're up to now, the bastards...

EDIT - what they're up to now? the Zionist-led black hordes killed them off, they were the last of England

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
None of that surprises me really. I bet one of the rhythm section has seen the error of his ways and is now a care worker.

martin

----
Oh sorry. I deleted the previous message so your reply doesn't make sense. Let's try again -

The singer became a techno DJ and had laser surgery to remove a tattoo of a DM boot from his face

None of that surprises me really. I bet one of the rhythm section has seen the error of his ways and is now a care worker.

STN

sou'wester
I wonder what became of Ted, too. Did he use the time that his assailants spent performing a war dance to flee?

petergunn

plywood violin
uk subs weren't oi! (ok really splitting hairs now, 57 million varieties and all that). even stuff like the exploited doesn't really count as oi. its more general punk i think, but what the hell do i know.

now peter and the test tube babies however - no matter how you slice it, that is oi.

yeah, UK subs aren't Oi...

i would say Sham 69 are the first Oi band, as most succesful Oi bands that followed (angelic upstarts, cockney rebels, cocksparrer) def use the Sham formula: a stripped down and faster take on the ramones infused w/ working class english cultural values... while some of the above bands may have started playing before Sham got big, i think they all shifted towards the template Sham laid down in 77 and 78...

Transpontine

history is made at night
This thread seems to have become the what is oi thread, surprizingly given its starting point in a post about 1970s anti-racism. Anyway I think people are blurring the distinction between bands like Sham 69 and Cockney Rejects with a kind of prole-hooligan punk intent and later out and out nazi bands like Skrewdriver. Most first generation so-called Oi bands weren't nazis, the White Power music scene was one trajectory from Oi but most did not follow that route.