when did people stop wanting to pay for anything?

gumdrops

im not just talking about music, but it seems from large corporations wanting high standards of work from employees but not wanting to pay for it or truly invest in these people and preferring to take shortcuts at every opportunity even if in the long term this is a futile decision, down to the average punter simply not wanting to shell out for something 'good' instead of something thats just a cheaper bargain, it seems like people dont want to pay much for anything anymore. maybe its always been this way, i cant say, but i always thought it was better to spend a bit more on something thats 'quality' as opposed to just getting something thats cheap and likely to go bust or break or simply not deliver as good value for money in the long run (i think it ties into how a lot of companies dont supply spare parts anymore as things are so relatively cheap to replace that no one bothers - or is able to - get stuff repaired anymore). is this an odd way of thinking nowadays?

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
Good thread. In the media - esp big media like the BBC, glossy mags, daily broadhseets, rely on a constant stream of unpaid interns to get stuff done. A friend of mine interned at the beeb and said the place is run by 18 year old girls... The model is that you work for nothing in the hope that you'll eventually get a staff job for something. This is obviously bad for diversity, in the truest sense, because it's only a certain type of person who can afford to work for nothing for anything up to a year.

You can see this in other areas, too. I went to LSE for my MSc about 5 years ago, and half the freshers' fair was given over to getting your (unpaid) internship for the next summer. I would very much like to think that LSE is not representative, on this and many other things, but fear that it may well be.

bnek

(i think it ties into how a lot of companies dont supply spare parts anymore as things are so relatively cheap to replace that no one bothers - or is able to - get stuff repaired anymore). is this an odd way of thinking nowadays?

yep. it seems especially so for anything electronic, its basically impossible anymore to get stuff repaired, not to mention people 'upgrading' everytime something new comes out - so much waste. cheap digital shit, i guess theres no physical components to repair anyway...

do you people have a 'hard rubbish' collection? (couple times a year or so, per suburb, the council picks up whatever you dump on the nature-strip). its wild the shit people throw out now, seems half or more is computers and tv's, fridges, microwaves, washing machines etc alongside broken furniture and such - much of it probably purchased only a few years ago (well, mostly older but whatever)...im too young to remember anything pre-home computers, but for those that were around when they were hugely expensive (and huge) it must be kind of surreal seeing a bunch of pc's dumped on the street.

gumdrops

another example is a fairly large company i know. theyve had and still have several analogue mixing desks in their studios which have run well for well over 20-30 years, but what with digital tech being cheap and 'where things are headed', most of their studios now have digital desks. far as i know, these are all software dependent, not as reliable, and according to everyone there, not likely to last as long as the analogue desks do because theyll always need upgrading. but then one of the problems is that many manufacturers are only making digital now and/or doing it at cheaper rates, which of course makes it the more attractive option to a lot of companies, regardless of whether its the better, most durable, product.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm sure I speak for any other Londoners that post here when I say that the free 'news'paper situation has got well out of hand. It's fucking ridiculous.

Although I do like the Polska Gazetta or whatever it's called that's left for people to pick up from little depot points that have "If you can't read Polish, don't bother!" printed on them.