Motivation

ome

[motive-ate]

carrot vs stick???

a) 'what is love [aka the carrot]' - dont let anyone tell you what IT is. (maslow)

b) as for the stick, few people have a big spread without a big stick to hit themselves. (watson)

what to do too ? someting to aim / inspired by or someting to avoid / fear.. they both work, they are not mutualy exclusive, and can combined to either fulfill a need or not...

Physical exersise is a good example. Using weights or yoga can be turn into a obsessive form of self abuse, thattoo easily it becomes an act of self-love is disguised as fear and one end up being motivated about getting motivated witout achieving anything. One the other hand, mindfull regular exersise drops all the right suggestions, when repetively regular it can be a little structured physical and mental catalyst of achievement every day. (sic but true)

if the 'positivisum' of self-love is not tempered by the reality of our own shadows it becomes bullshit.

-- if your asking for out of context/body free advice: i used to get stoned to get rid of the desire to be motivated that worked, some people find the distraction of a good nite out, sex, record buying etc... but then the same argument goes for these forms of shadow play, as they can all to easily also become distructive rather than fulfilling our needs.

--playing here (spektrum - 'kinda new')

Last edited:

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
mr lighthouse family

mms said:
no but it's quite shocking you know his name.
dude, i read music week, as you know! obv i'm gonna know who mr lighthouse family is :D! He gonna save bmg or somethin!

or was that last year?..... :confused:

or was that kasabian?! :eek:

fldsfslmn

excremental futurism
There is good news! Motivation can be enhanced by taking your vitamins! I've been taking these gelcaps called Super Cod Liver Oil and I think I'm slightly better able to figure out what I'm doing.

Aren't they kind of extinct anyway? Should I feel bad about eating their livers to help me understand critical theory?

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
fish oils help brain function - no bullshit. try eye q ones - expensive but sworn by

luka

ive always been a very very lazy person sort of, to look at, like a sloth. i have to spend 80% of my waking life gazing abstractedly into the middle distance or i develop severe emotional and psychological problems.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i'm probably the least motivated person out there and i wish i could take a pill to solve that. do you know this experience when you meet people and they are really passionate about something and they invest and spend a lot of time on it, learning a craft for example or doing painting, sculpting, whatever. and you see their work and you think, well thats kinda rubbish or mediocre, then five years later you wonder what happened to those people and you check out their work and you think WOW this is good. all that work they have put in paid off. surely that doesn't always happen but i believe that with a bit of talent and a lot of repetition anyone can do that. and i feel i could have done that but i didn't. it's not even that i feel like i missed some very small window of opportunity, becaue i could STILL do that but i don't.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
what helped me in university was going to the university library and do all my work there. at home, forget it, i wouldn't do anything. but surrounded by hundreds of nerds eagerly learning and studying sort of forced me to do the same.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
This is a practical question. I'm sure everyone struggles with procrastination, low energy, and general laziness to some degree, but it is really affecting my life. I'm struggling with it a lot at the moment -- unsure of what could be physiological (vitamins/nutrients/glands/whatever) and what is just straight-up self-sabotage.

I think a lot of people are amotivational because they don't really know what they want, but I have a clearly defined goal. In this instance, to get excellent grades in university. This is a goal for which I've already made sacrifices -- I've put other ambitions on the backburner (relatively crucial things like girls and music) to maximize my ability to focus. I've been largely drug-free since the summer and that has helped my ability to concentrate on reading, but not in terms of my ability to come up with concepts for projects and papers. Why can't I just plan my time effectively, work a bit each day, and not waste the last day looking at message boards 24 hrs before the assignment is due? And even now that I've been working on it for most of the evening, I just feel like giving up and going to sleep -- hoping the university will blow up overnight, or maybe asking for an extension, or just handing something really shitty in.

Has anyone been through this and conquered it (at least to a degree where your goals are not slipping away from you each day)? How do you make the worlds of achievement and psychological/physiological capability coincide more often? I'd be interested in how this applies to different fields too -- people who have learned a trade, or play sports, or make art, or whatever it is that you do.
did you get your diploma in the end?