MPs, UN, Israel, Iraq, Turkey, Iran, etc

N

nomadologist

Why would they be doing this if Iran has no nuclear weapons programme and it's all a neo-con fantasy?

who cares if Iran has nuclear weapons? They don't have high enough grade plutonium to deploy them, ffs.

so the West can have nukes but everyone else needs to disarm? that makes sense.

vimothy

yurp
so the West can have nukes but everyone else needs to disarm? that makes sense.

Well, Barnett has argued pretty convincingly that Iran should be given the bomb as part of a US deal to involve the country's leadership as a strategic ally in the region. (Recognition is certainly something the Iran would like, IMO). But that seems like a risky strategy - we would have a lot less leverage and Iran a lot more.

In any case simply arguing (as you are here) for undifferentiated nuclear proliferation will not get us anywhere. Nuclear dictatorships -- not always a good thing.

N

nomadologist

Well, Barnett has argued pretty convincingly that Iran should be given the bomb as part of a US deal to involve the country's leadership as a strategic ally in the region. (Recognition is certainly something the Iran would like, IMO). But that seems like a risky strategy - we would have a lot less leverage and Iran a lot more.

In any case simply arguing (as you are here) for undifferentiated nuclear proliferation will not get us anywhere. Nuclear dictatorships -- not always a good thing.

Nuclear weapons in general--not a good thing. My boyfriend's grandfather was an MIT physicist, and turned down a job on the Manhattan project. I often wonder why, if Albert Einstein was so smart, did he help develop the a-bomb?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I often wonder why, if Albert Einstein was so smart, did he help develop the a-bomb?

Pragmatically, everyone knew it was only a matter of time before the Soviets developed one. More urgently still, the Nazis had their own nuclear programme.

In any case, 'smartness' often doesn't really have much to do with it. Von Neumann is regarded as one of the most intelligent people in history and he advocated pre-emptive nuclear strikes on the USSR before they developed their own weapons.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Or the Germans. I don't know if it the ends justify the means, however.

N

nomadologist

Pragmatically, everyone knew it was only a matter of time before the Soviets developed one.

In any case, 'smartness' often doesn't really have much to do with it. Von Neumann is regarded as one of the most intelligent people in history and he advocated pre-emptive nuclear strikes on the USSR before they developed their own weapons.

Yeah, I guess you're right. My dad makes lasers and rewires houses for fun, but he can barely tie his shoes.