Advice on some Korg KAOSS gear

smn

Looking for some advice on the following. I've a basic decks and mixer setup at home at the moment which I'm looking at jazzing up with one of the following:

Korg's KM-202 Mixer (with integrated KAOSS Pad): http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=KM202&category_id=2

or

Korg's KP2 KAOSS Pad: http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=KP2&category_id=2

So my questions are...

- Anybody used the mixer?

- I'm sure a lot of you have used KPs? Good or bad?

- In terms of a relatively cheap effects unit I'm really not going to get any better than a KP, am I?

- If I were to go ahead and get a KP, how would it fit in with my existing setup (2 vinyl decks, 1 cd deck, 1 iPod)? At the moment the vinyl decks are connected to the PHONO INs on the mixer and the cd deck and iPod are connected to the LINE INs on the mixer. Would I have to change this and connect one vinyl deck and the cd deck or iPod to the KP and then run the KP's LINE OUT to one of the mixer's LINE INs? Or can I connect the mixer's LINE OUT to the KP's LINE IN and the KP's LINE OUT to the amp or whatever? Hm, not sure I've explained myself very well... :slanted: basically, in terms of the path the music follows, should the KP come before or after the mixer?

Thanks in advance.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
ideally you want a mixer with a send/return loop for effects.

with regard to the korg mixer- are all faders replaceable? if not you're paying a lot for something that won't work in 9 months.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
ideally you want a mixer with a send/return loop for effects.

with regard to the korg mixer- are all faders replaceable? if not you're paying a lot for something that won't work in 9 months.

yeah, I'd try for getting a cheaper second hand kaoss pad and then invest in a mixer with send/return, the kaoss is a great effects unit but it's very noisy, and as such if you're looking for a good sound coming out then you don't wanna have to run the whole of your sounds through that. I do, but I wouldn't recommend it.

hint

party record with a siren
I would recommend the Pioneer EFX-500 over the Kaoss pad for DJ effects.

It's split in 2 halves, so for example, you can set the left hand side as a looping delay, then use the jogwheel on the right to simulate a "hitting stop on the turntable" style effect, or ring mod, or flanging etc.

The delay can be set to loop indefinitely.

The tap tempo is one of the better ones I've used for on-the-fly syncing.

And yes - setting any of these effects boxes up with a mixer which has an aux send on each channel is the best way to go.

smn

Thanks for the advice people. Wasn't aware of the whole send / return concept or indeed the Pioneer effects unit, so need to do some more thinking before I commit.

Appreciate it.