Teaching

Dusty

Tone deaf
On a related note then, are there any books worth reading on the general subect of learning to teach?

jenks

thread death
Yep, me too - fighting the sinking feeling that I always have - starting all over again, locked in a never ending loop of targets, pressure and fear and trepidation over results - probably like being a football manager but without the interviews by Garth Crooks.

don_quixote

Trent End
2nd year feels about 200% tougher than my first year. feel like i'm working all week and i've already been working for 6 hours today and am nowhere near finished. SO MUCH TO DO!!

gumdrops

i have a few pgce-related questions. i have an interview for a place this week which involves a morning at a school in the classroom, then a 3 minute presentation on any object i like, then a proper interview. i have done work in schools, though i have never actually 'taught' as such, just assisted. how should i go about the presentation exactly? could i just make it about say, tapes, or records? (it does say any artefact after all, though how i would relate that to the national curriculum im not sure, pyramids might be better). also, how much am i meant to know in terms of education for the interview?

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
pgce interviews are mostly about reflecting on what you have seen in the classroom. think about the classes you have seen and what you liked, what you didn't like, what classes you liked and what you liked about them. think about what the point of school is. think about what the kids are thinking in the class.

as for three min presentation on object, fairly certain it doesn't matter what the object is if they haven't specified. it will be to see what your voice projection is like, how confident you are in your presentation. if you are asked to prepare anything alongside it i would also think about visuals and i would avoid (heavy?) text at all costs. i would be very prescriptive about what you want to say.

so yes, don't think you have to know a lot about it, just show that you have thought about it. enough respect for going down the pgce route. i loved it, but it was tough. i think it's preferable to any other route but maybe i'm biased.

gumdrops

thanks for the tips. interview went alright tho i think i need to get more classroom exp. still, fingers crossed.

gumdrops

its a SCITT course. basically there were some tough questions where i really would have needed more in-class exp to answer properly, so i think these let me down. but hopefully they will look past that to the classroom assessment i did and other things i think made me look like a good candidate. cant have been that bad if they interviewed me after all (passed all the tests fine).

Dusty

Tone deaf
Well I gave it a go last year, sitting in on some lessons and helping out where I could.

The people, both teachers and kids were great. The system seemed like a total nightmare however, with slower kids getting left behind in the frantic rush to prepare for exams. I found it a pretty stressful and depressing environment. I came to the conclusion I'm not cut out for it... back to looking for a full time design job in London.

version

"Council-maintained schools in England outperform academies in Ofsted rankings, according to analysis published on the day the government’s ambitions for all schools to join multi-academy trusts (Mats) are expected to be outlined in the Queen’s speech."

linebaugh

I was a teacher for about 2 years and I was very successful. Single handedly pulled a child out of poverty. I could be a movie subject