Where to find a piano?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Random question - I love playing, but unfortunately lack the kind of spacious mansion that would be able to accommodate my parents' pinao. Hence I go months without the therapeutic effects of letting my fingers roam free. As it were.

So where would one go about finding a piano that one might be able to use? I can only think of asking church halls, but there must be other ways....surely other people have had this problem before...:confused:

vimothy

yurp
Random question - I love playing, but unfortunately lack the kind of spacious mansion that would be able to accommodate my parents' pinao. Hence I go months without the therapeutic effects of letting my fingers roam free. As it were.

So where would one go about finding a piano that one might be able to use? I can only think of asking church halls, but there must be other ways....surely other people have had this problem before...:confused:

Charity shops

N

nomadologist

I have this same problem because my apartment could never hold my piano, so my parents have it. I've had a few synths--korg triton, juno 6, etc.--because they're much more compact and can be put in the closet if necessary.

How about getting a keyboard or synth? There are some very decent vintage ones with weighted keys that you can find on ebay. Let me know if you want recs, I am a classical pianist and very picky about these things.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I have this same problem because my apartment could never hold my piano, so my parents have it. I've had a few synths--korg triton, juno 6, etc.--because they're much more compact and can be put in the closet if necessary.

How about getting a keyboard or synth? There are some very decent vintage ones with weighted keys that you can find on ebay. Let me know if you want recs, I am a classical pianist and very picky about these things.

Sorry, didn't see this reply until just now....

A keyboard might be an idea, although I'm so used to piano stools, piano pedals etc, that I'm not sure how I'd cope without adding many accoutrements to a synth!

However, I was thinking about getting a master keyboard for use with Reason/Fruity Loops anyway, so I could combine the two notions...

dHarry

would one of these work? no idea what they cost but presumably have pro-weighted keys, decent piano sound & midi:

clp240.jpg

http://clavinova.co.uk/spec/clp240.html

N

nomadologist

clavinova!! haha! I used to practice on these because you could use headphones...they're actually really convenient for this reason. The "voices" are somewhat cheesy, but I haven't heard a newer model--I'd bet they're sounding much nicer than when I was a kid.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
If it was me I'd consider going for something like this -

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/alesis-fusion-8hd/69397

It's the same price as the most basic Clavinola, has a full size 88 key weighted keyboard but it's also a really powerful synth / sampler / sequencer workstation. Full gubbins. Hard drive storage so the included piano samples are pretty lush.

I'm sure you can find something second hand. The Kurzweil digital pianos are supposed to sound and feel great.

N

nomadologist

If it was me I'd consider going for something like this -

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/alesis-fusion-8hd/69397

It's the same price as the most basic Clavinola, has a full size 88 key weighted keyboard but it's also a really powerful synth / sampler / sequencer workstation. Full gubbins. Hard drive storage so the included piano samples are pretty lush.

I'm sure you can find something second hand. The Kurzweil digital pianos are supposed to sound and feel great.

Looks good, very functional and versatile. The only problem with these would be in my mind that they depreciate in value once you "drive em off the lot", so to speak. A vintage model of something similar would be aces tho.

dominic

Beast of Burden
i think you can get the clavinolas on the cheap from julliard every year -- at least, this is how my sister got hers -- an upright model -- the school apparently sells them off every summer