Colombia

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Has anyone been, or indeed lived there?

My interest in going has been piqued by so many people saying that it's the greatest country they've ever visited. Just seen some English teaching jobs advertised too - tempting!

bassnation

the abyss
Has anyone been, or indeed lived there?

My interest in going has been piqued by so many people saying that it's the greatest country they've ever visited. Just seen some English teaching jobs advertised too - tempting!

is it still on the FO site as a country not recommended to visit for uk citizens or has it calmed down since then? at one stage even random tourists were subject to kidnap for extortion although like most things in the media, this is probably massively overstated.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
is it still on the FO site as a country not recommended to visit for uk citizens or has it calmed down since then? at one stage even random tourists were subject to kidnap for extortion although like most things in the media, this is probably massively overstated.

May well be on the list as a 'not recommended', but then a lot of places are like that (went to Beirut fairly recently, and that is obviously very up and down as faras safety is concerned). Things have definitely calmed down, and most reports are glowing in terms of the friendliness of the Colombians, and the ease of getting around. I think I would be reticent to go on my own, however...

bruno

est malade
i can attest to the friendliness of colombians as i have lived with a few and met another batch on my travels. they are friendly, they are well read, they are articulate, they are extremists. the ones living here (chile) couldn't stand it because people here didn't take to the streets with weapons to defend their workers rights, that sort of thing. we are grey and complacent, in their view. they are insane, in my view. i think the situation in colombia has calmed down as of late but i wouldn't be surprised if they are permanently at war with each other forever.

Lichen

I have a couple of good sources for Colombian information.

I will tap them and PM if you like.