mos dan

fact music
i noticed that a while back lots of the big rolling threads got locked, eg the dancehall one. thats the one i want

they were all locked to encourage more diverse and more focused threads, except the grime one that got a stay of execution somehow, perhaps through dodgy back-room deals. and then the 'funky' and 'wonky' threads became kind of de facto rolling threads by accident. i don't know about the dubstep one. the end. by dan hancox, aged 27 1/2

elgato

I just dont know
where's move d playing man? if i can get some friends interested i'm gonna try and get to wifey or this...

Move D is down at Plastic People, not sure what the crack is with tickets though, i heard all pre-sold tickets are gone, so early queuing is likely to be required :/ hope its not too rammed! but also hope that you make it in if you try to ;)

Badga Tek

Flushing MCs down the loo
I'm going for sure...but it can't really be shirts and shoes can it? Never been to this venue, y'see...:confused:

Definitely not a shirt and shoes night. Went to one a few months back. As far as I'm aware its traditionally been a bassline night and they've never had much funky on before. But I could be wrong about that. Its what I'd call a Night Slugs type of crowd.

boomnoise

♫
rah, 300 runs must be pricey? im guessing allot of people who are into this stuff are not buying vinyl?

maybe it's more now. they really should be doing an initial of 500 then topping it up with another 3.

but all the online shops are now stocking funky, so 300 spreads very thinly.

and yeah the focus for most of the scene is most definitively on mp3.

i'm djing this stuff digitally so it's just a but annoying to have to spend so much to a record only to rip it. but ill still get the records whenever i can.

powerpill

maybe it's more now. they really should be doing an initial of 500 then topping it up with another 3.

but all the online shops are now stocking funky, so 300 spreads very thinly.

and yeah the focus for most of the scene is most definitively on mp3.

i'm djing this stuff digitally so it's just a but annoying to have to spend so much to a record only to rip it. but ill still get the records whenever i can.

oh aye. its all good anyway, when the internet breaks in 2012 you'll be laughing eh? :p

mos dan

fact music
Definitely not a shirt and shoes night. Went to one a few months back. As far as I'm aware its traditionally been a bassline night and they've never had much funky on before. But I could be wrong about that. Its what I'd call a Night Slugs type of crowd.

only smaller and indier lol (no bitch-o). they've not had any funky on before afaik.

boomnoise

♫
it is interesting, and possibly worthy of some hcc related discourse, how recent trends in urban music are split between the 'authentically' urban and the 'trendy'. in funky's case, between nights where you can where scruffy trainers and ones where you can't.

obviously the 'trendy' is a real source of revenue for producers and djs and to a certain extent kept grime going in the club environment when it was locked off. i'm not saying the audience is totally polarized, but it is intriguing.

how big a factor was what's hot and trendy in the development of acid house, ardkore and jungle? i wasn't there. i dont know. did these distinctions exist?

demographic has quite a big role to play in the nuum i think.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
how big a factor was what's hot and trendy in the development of acid house, ardkore and jungle? i wasn't there. i dont know. did these distinctions exist?

dunno much about it, but the acid house scene in London polarised between those who wanted shirt/shoes/'classiness' versus the 'unwashed mob', as I recall.

Badga Tek

Flushing MCs down the loo
it is interesting, and possibly worthy of some hcc related discourse, how recent trends in urban music are split between the 'authentically' urban and the 'trendy'. in funky's case, between nights where you can where scruffy trainers and ones where you can't.

obviously the 'trendy' is a real source of revenue for producers and djs and to a certain extent kept grime going in the club environment when it was locked off. i'm not saying the audience is totally polarized, but it is intriguing.

What do you mean by 'trendy'?

Do you mean as in more mature shirt-and-shoes, over-21s-only nights?

Or more with regards to, for example, grime artists playing at the ICA instead of things like Eskimo Dance?

I think we might need a darkside funky.Which is a shame.
I guess the seeds have already been sown - hindsight may see Lil Silva as the day-dotter, so to speak and some (not all) of Cooly G's stuff is a bit claustrophibic and vaguely paranoid-sounding to me..

After pondering the above, if we add in Black Sun and Lighter/Skanker (I can never work out which is the artist and which is the track) we have four different submissions.
This, according to Colin's Konsice Almanac Of Nuum Runnin's, constitutes a sub-genre.

We would of course have to call it D-Funk..

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

TUNE!!

Did anyone catch Crazy Cousinz in Dalston on Friday? I had to leave early, so didn't catch their set. Big up to the DJs who were playing around 10 til 12 - massive tune after massive tune. Would love to know the tracklist!

Must say I wasn't too fond of the crowd tho (beyond the control of the organisers, obviously) - far FAR too Shoreditch-ey for my liking, and what is it about London and segregation? Only one black guy who wasn't working there, out of a crowd of 120 or so when I left!