Ach!

Turd on the Run
Mentor Roska - Climate Change EP (2008) [Roska Kicks & Snares]

available on junodownload.com

This EP is sick! I'll write my thoughts about it when I've downloaded it properly.

ps. there's nothing wrong with Bongo Jam! DJ Naughty remix is very bassy, and very big. I think this weekend is Funky weekend - bongo jam launch party in EC1, Marcus NASTY @ EGG, I'm sure I've seen a load of other things going off this weekend too. Glad I'm not going to be here :(

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
most of the crazy cousinz stuff i've gotten my hands on is 125-128 to be honest.

That track, Crazy Cousinz' remix of Paleface and Kyla's 'Do You Mind', is now out on vinyl at Rhythm Division and Uptown (i think). So are a lot of other really deadly tunes e.g. Tadow's 'Rising Sun', Apple's 'Segalizer'.

Last edited:

doom

Public Housing
Climate Change EP !!!!!!!

So SICK!!!!

What is wrong with Bongo Jam?!? Really?

Its like the perfect blend of deep & cheese, to me, YMMV of course. Sure its not gonna win any prizes for literary genius, but the 'yelps' in the background, the awkward 'percussion set falling down some stairs' break... so ill!

echevarian

babylon sister
And Sodiumnightlife returns the favor and turns me on to DJ Perempay.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=167597324

He has a series of high bitrate mixes up on his Myspace blog.

They've definitely got more of a minimal take on this sound, but very deep.

Its exciting to see both grime influences and minimal sitting together in the same scene.

Vol 4 is on blast at the moment.

http://files.filefront.com/FUNKY+VIBES+VOL+4+DJ+PEYzip/;9074113;/fileinfo.html/1/1

It blows my mind that this guy used to DJ grime as Bossman.

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
you know who that is innit?

who is it? i pass.

perempay is/was dj bossman from essentials, whoever mentioned him upthread. i wonder how snipe keedo (his brother) feels about bossman switching to funky - keedo was host on his show on rinse for a year or two before the name/music change.

luka

its a boy i know from round my area, well plaistow which is close enough. it was one of the first things that told me funkky house had to be taken seriously when he sold all his grime records to buy house ones about 4 years ago or something....
he was one of the best grime djs with a style simmilar to mac 10....
if you watch risky roads 1 you'll hear kano mention his name.

luka

but i was asking ach! though really, i didn't expect anyone else to recongise the name. have a look though still, see what you think.

mos dan

fact music
oh i see lol.

so, if we can 'go macro' for a minute, where - or when - do the funky and bassline evangelists see a role for mcs emerging? if dubstep can be accused (persuasively, to a point) of being a reductive permutation of its origins, of devoicing black/street music, what role is there for a mic controller in either funky or bassline?

the dirtier, edgier bits of northern bassline/4x4 has a few talented mcs, i am discovering in dribs and drabs (as well as the fun party stuff like 'you wot') - but it's still club bangaz for the most part.

The MCs are already there Dan, albeit in a hosting capacity at the moment. Every funky CD I've got from the raves or whatever, hosts are all over them.

viktorvaughn

oh i see lol.

so, if we can 'go macro' for a minute, where - or when - do the funky and bassline evangelists see a role for mcs emerging? if dubstep can be accused (persuasively, to a point) of being a reductive permutation of its origins, of devoicing black/street music, what role is there for a mic controller in either funky or bassline?

the dirtier, edgier bits of northern bassline/4x4 has a few talented mcs, i am discovering in dribs and drabs (as well as the fun party stuff like 'you wot') - but it's still club bangaz for the most part.

The bassline mixes I get from my mate in Sheffield often have one or two MC tracks in them. Jamakabi has done a vocal on a Northern Line mix CD.

mos dan

fact music
The MCs are already there Dan, albeit in a hosting capacity at the moment. Every funky CD I've got from the raves or whatever, hosts are all over them.

sure, like jon e cash has been doing it for a while hasn't he? but: 'albiet in a hosting capacity' - that's quite a big 'albeit', if you get me ;) beyond saying 'next one's big' or whatever, where next?

logan playing 'mr bean' for skepta to spit over sounded great, but does it require grime mcs to switch to funky, like so many of the djs have done? or are a different group of kids who want to spit over a house beat going to emerge?

my personal fav bassline mc track is Leicester Anthem ("LE2 block massive!") from the DJ Total april mix. anything else you've found that's simultaneously that gritty and that accomplished, do say so.

i dunno, i like quite a few bits of bassline and funky as a sidedish to my grime - for dancing, rather than home listening - but as far as i'm concerned the emperors are still not wearing all their clothes.