Page 2 of 563 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Funky/London/UK House

Quote Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
    man there are too many terms being used
    I have too many questions. is funky house not the same as bassline house? what the hell is niche? and Uk house?
    No - and apparently "niche" and "bassline" are interchangeable to mean the new-school 4x4 garage that is going on in northern england.
    What I want to know is exactly what UK house is, when funky house essentially seems to mean "everything" right now.

@Sick Boy - to be clear what we're talking about, it's house sounds + the urban 'nuum demographic. For now some of it sounds like the usual wine bar/international 'dance' sound but as it mutates, this wont last long.

@Logos - funny you mention Soca, that's what I noticed at Rinse/Cargo, the overlaying of Soca rhythms.

@Nomos - re your jungle analogy, i dont think this is developing in response to dubstep, this is clearly a response to the agression and lack of danceability in grime.

@Matt Mason - yes you did son...

@MosDan - i was stood next to you at Cargo son and some of the tunes were OK, not as tedious as most winebar'funky' mostly because of the overlayed Soca patterns.

@Alfons - Niche/Bassline & 4/4 house = northern post-speed garage variant.
    UK/funky house = London nuum community adopts funky house music as their own.

I think Niche is much older and more developed. the London funky house sound seems really undefined and fresh, changing loads like UKG/proto-grime did in 2002...

once in a while I don't delete these sets when they auto download through the rinse podcast, I flick through and think 'maybe something will stand out' but no I delete the 40th funky/uk house mix of the week and ponder who listens to this shit.

cynically Ive written this genre of as hyper emotion thats well suited as drug soundtrack rave fodder for the emotionally retarded. I'm persuaded to dig further because to be honest I slept on garage because I didn't like 90% of it and have only re-discovered its better bits recently.

enjoyed the bits on apples myspace can definatly see the soca/reggae ton influence,

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Yeah would be interested to know too...are there any DJs who are known as particularly 'forward'...

This is a bit of a "girls back to the dancefloor" move so don't expect too much just yet

It's not "head music"

part of the point is having a different context in which big club house tunes can be played

in terms of tunes being made, the sound is embryonic

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    a lot of the stuff on rinse seems to be this odd mix (to my ears) of actual deep house (kind of Kevin Yost vibe I guess), MAW, crap handbag sounding stuff a la 1995 and really interesting percussive stuff which sits somewhere between the co-op sound, soca and a hatcha set circa 2003.
    Who is pushing the boat out sonically?
    Supa D seems to be the genre defining DJ...and yeah he does play a fair amount of stuff that could have slotted into a mid 90s Judge Jules set or somethin...

but who knows about TADOW?

big producer!

Default Geeneus i strying to call brand this stuff as

Funky

not Funky HOUSE or any other type of house just

Funky

thinking of it kinda makes me feel a bit ill but yeah...the mutating parts will spawn a few good bits amongst the waste

what I'm finding funny is that no-one seems to know what soca is esp. when 'sweet mother' is said to be 'soca influenced'
    Last edited by Tactics; 13-11-2007 at 11:18 AM. Reason: damn non editing title bar
    1 $/ of aid is NOTHING compared to 1 $/ of FAIR trade....

Ekome....

alot of funky house is that nasty wine bar generic house stuff, that's totally true.
    the good stuff ive heard lately has been played by this guy
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=72157154

on xtreme fm - kind of takes in aspects of dancehall, garage, dub and grime, quite like some of it, it's cheesy as fuck in places but it's got that heads down slightly para, cold feeling split with warmer euphoric music which seems to be one of the traits of uk house ever since bleep and bass in sheffield etc..

Quote Originally Posted by fokse vektaire xeven View Post
    in terms of tunes being made, the sound is embryonic
    this is hilarious. i regularly dip into the rinse funky sets and man, that sound is old. its so old i find it ludicrous that people are repping it to be something new - woah, some soca rhythms, its a new genre. its just deep funky house and not even as acomplished as stuff thats been coming out the states for over twenty years.

of course theres nothing wrong with it as a genre and nothing wrong with women returning to the dancefloor either.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnation View Post
    this is hilarious. i regularly dip into the rinse funky sets and man, that sound is old. its so old i find it ludicrous that people are repping it to be something new - woah, some soca rhythms, its a new genre. its just deep funky house and not even as acomplished as stuff thats been coming out the states for over twenty years.

of course theres nothing wrong with it as a genre and nothing wrong with women returning to the dancefloor either.
    thats true, i think it's taking in some dubstep and grime elements now tho, which is good, the smooth and funky stuff was always a bit boring, i'd kinda like it a bit filthier and more chicagoish rather than just ' good life world housey'

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    alot of funky house is that nasty wine bar generic house stuff, that's totally true.

on xtreme fm - kind of takes in aspects of dancehall, garage, dub and grime, quite like some of it, it's cheesy as fuck in places but it's got that heads down slightly para, cold feeling split with warmer euphoric music which seems to be one of the traits of uk house ever since bleep and bass in sheffield etc..
    wicked that sounds exactly what im looking for, thanks, looking forward to checking him

Default it IS fresh

[QUOTE=bassnation;114862]this is hilarious. i regularly dip into the rinse funky sets and man, that sound is old. its so old i find it ludicrous that people are repping it to be something new - woah, some soca rhythms, its a new genre. its just deep funky house and not even as acomplished as stuff thats been coming out the states for over twenty yearsQUOTE]

to those who previously were like 'nah that music's gay' (I know ppl who've said this and now rave like the best of them to it)

it's still funny true...all part of the cycle though

*rubs chin*
    1 $/ of aid is NOTHING compared to 1 $/ of FAIR trade....

Ekome....

thats true, i think it's taking in some dubstep and grime elements now tho, which is good, the smooth and funky stuff was always a bit boring, i'd kinda like it a bit filthier and more chicagoish rather than just ' good life world housey'
    geeneus' has told me he's written house tunes with grime sounds which sound pretty interesting. also with this audience it's inevitable the music will get rawer...

The Afrobeat stuff has been about for a while now,but there is also stuff with the influence of Grime finding it's way in now.A sort of an 'Eski House' sound is emerging.Girl friendly and funky dance music with a hard edge to it.

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

Quote Originally Posted by bassnation View Post
    this is hilarious. i regularly dip into the rinse funky sets and man, that sound is old.
    To clarify- i meant that most sets i've heard are largely composed of tunes from outside the london scene. the audience for the music is only just getting involved in producing, and a few of the things i've heard sound pretty distinctive. we all know the house blueprint has ALREADY been taken in a lot of directions, and all i'm saying is i've heard some tunes i like. however at the start of uk garage it was a not dissimilar situation

Quote Originally Posted by ether View Post
    drug soundtrack rave fodder for the emotionally retarded.
    That is soooo what I'm into.... but I'm thinking more of stuff like the absurdly hot Electrixx mix of Acid Jacks 'Disco Shoes'.

You ran away to join a travelling freakshow
    Start a riot, and end up at a rave
    I got my pills and I'm ready to go
    A disco dancer or a party slave
    So if you got the mood, and you got the moves
    and you can pop your body, you can grab a hotty
    Use heavy metal for a discoball
    Trade your beauty sleep for a dancefloor

WOO! YEAH!

http://www.zshare.net/audio/4744688b97bc77/
    Last edited by DJ PIMP; 13-11-2007 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
    The Afrobeat stuff has been about for a while now,but there is also stuff with the influence of Grime finding it's way in now.A sort of an 'Eski House' sound is emerging.Girl friendly and funky dance music with a hard edge to it.

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman
    yep the afrobeat stuff can be really horrible, this guy manages to hold it down in some of his mixes by blending in some grimier, bassier more dubbed up and more heavily built stuff. on that ipod mix you still hear the afrobeat stuff and the old nyc masters at work business from the 90's tho.