Page 3 of 563 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Funky/London/UK House

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdown View Post
    geeneus' has told me he's written house tunes with grime sounds which sound pretty interesting. also with this audience it's inevitable the music will get rawer...
    you hope, otherwise thats the nuum theory comprehensively fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    yep the afrobeat stuff can be really horrible, this guy manages to hold it down in some of his mixes by blending in some grimier, bassier more dubbed up and more heavily built stuff. on that ipod mix you still hear the afrobeat stuff and the old nyc masters at work business from the 90's tho.
    At the moment these sets are a mix of styles:Afro/Tech/Deep and so on.It's more of an attitude than a sound as such.More productions from within the scene itself need to come through before you can really put a handle on what the sound really is.

@ Martin - Yeah grime is definitely the reaction point, but I guess I meant that Dubstep isn't offering an alternative either when it comes to danceability and feminine pressure (i.e. fun).

In general I just mean that the argument up to know, that Funky House is the death knell of UK dance music creativity, is obviously premature. Garage became interesting and a 'London ting' when it pulled in bits of jungle, even as it was setting itself up in opposition. So it seems inevitable that this generic variety of House that's showing flashes of creativity will pull in elements of grime and dubstep to such a degree that people disaffected with those scenes will start to give it some attention and maybe try their hands at some tunes.

Anyway, I'm not there, obviously, but I don't want to write it off as boring and derivative when it has the same potential as any previous development (e.g. garage) to turn into something new and different.

Quote Originally Posted by nomos View Post
    Anyway, I'm not there, obviously, but I don't want to write it off as boring and derivative when it has the same potential as any previous development (e.g. garage) to turn into something new and different.
    I swear none of the other strands of the continuum ever developed from something this dull though.. in fact isn't the way this stuff has developed as a reaction against grime the exact opposite of how the most interesting parts of the continuum started? didn't hardcore and jungle, and dark garage and dubstep develop in response to the lack of alternatives to this sort of blandness..

why shy away from calling something what it is because of what it might be later
    Last edited by UFO over easy; 13-11-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnation View Post
    you hope, otherwise thats the nuum theory comprehensively fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by VI Lenin
    We would be committing a great mistake if we attempted to force the complex, urgent, rapidly developing practical tasks of the revolution into the Procrustean bed of narrowly conceived 'theory'
    sounds like you lot are really forcing this just because you want the nuum theory to carry on working, which is a terrible reason to do anything. you can't read history forwards.

and all this talk about how 'this audience' will shape the sound... 'this audience' went nuts to 'night' and 'match of the day riddim' at the rinse night at cargo, while they served the funky house a big steaming plate of air croissants. no-one was dancing!

until geeneus is actually *releasing* grime-inflected house, rather than just talking about doing so, i'm not that interested. like ben says, why shy away from calling something what it is because of what it might be later?

Quote Originally Posted by mos dan View Post
    while they served the funky house a big steaming plate of air croissants.
    lol

you may be right, ben. as i say, i'm not there to see it first hand.

re: the ardkore continuum - i think the only way the nuum theory works at all is if you take into account numerous other 'nuums' criss-crossing and constantly infecting each other, not to mention the various routes that hardcore took itself. you end up with more of a rhizome then. on it's own it's too linear and specific, hides too much. it's massively overused. in last year's burial thread i was arguing that if you followed a thread defined by feminine pressure rather than 'what all the boys are into right now,' you'd come up with a radically different looking 'nuum.' i see the point of the term as useful shorthand but i think it makes less sense with each year.
    Last edited by nomos; 13-11-2007 at 05:05 PM.

i see the point of the term as useful shorthand but i think it makes less sense with each year.
    OTM

btw, where is my prize for quoting lenin in a funky house thread? i do get a prize, right? right?

OTM

btw, where is my prize for quoting lenin in a funky house thread? i do get a prize, right? right?
    yeah i did mean to congratulate you on that

'procrustie' has a nice ring to it. e.g. "the rave was good until that procrustie pedant got on the decks"
    Last edited by nomos; 13-11-2007 at 05:16 PM.

OTM

I LOLd. That should be reward enough.

Although Lenin has to take the credit really.
    Last edited by noel emits; 13-11-2007 at 05:19 PM.

on it's own it's too linear and specific, hides too much. it's massively overused. in last year's burial thread i was arguing that if you followed a thread defined by feminine pressure rather than 'what all the boys are into right now,' you'd come up with a radically different looking 'nuum.'
    Completely on point

But even if you stick to it strictly defined then it seems to me that there is a very obvious point of comparison... the emergence of UK garage. the injection of gospel and soul via house and garage (positive, uplifting music) into a scene dominated by darker forms?

Granted I like the US house and garage which I understand influenced the early guys quite a bit more than the stuff im hearing now, but still as a point of comparison it seems incredibly close... and think how much grime has changed the face of UK dance! I for one have considerable hope in where this stuff might go, musically at least.
    Last edited by elgato; 22-03-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdown View Post

@Alfons - Niche/Bassline & 4/4 house = northern post-speed garage variant.
    UK/funky house = London nuum community adopts funky house music as their own.
    Thanks, although Im not really sure if I can tell the difference

From what Ive listened to on those myspace links I don't hear nothing new about this stuff, some of it's interresting but I think the grime/dubstep/nuum influence would have to get stronger while keeping it funky. Will be interresting to see future developments

Where do these sorts of nights take place?

Quote Originally Posted by UFO over easy View Post
    I swear none of the other strands of the continuum ever developed from something this dull though...
    uk garage similarly developed out of a scene that initially had few domestic productions

though i'm making no claims

the gap between some of the better london "funky house" and something like "left leg out" isn't so huge. some of the better dubstep around at the moment is heading towards more of a kick heavy blueprint

Quote Originally Posted by fokse vektaire xeven View Post
    uk garage similarly developed out of a scene that initially had few domestic productions

though i'm making no claims

the gap between some of the better london "funky house" and something like "left leg out" isn't so huge. some of the better dubstep around at the moment is heading towards more of a kick heavy blueprint
    i think ukg grew from second room sped up house etc then it pulled in more yardish soundsystem elements, then it created its own set of stylistic rules etc,
    mala loves house esp theo parrish etc he's got a housey thing going thru his productions for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
    Thanks, although Im not really sure if I can tell the difference
    Niche sounds like 187 lockdown.

Funky sounds like a bit like a Defected compilation.

@ Tanadan - wasn't stageshow, had a house tempo and everything.