rrrivero

^been posted in this thread many a time, you should be able to find a free download for it without much hassle. I'd up it but I have it on another hard drive

rrrivero

That Ears remix of Tawiah posted a few pages back is mindblowing. Also could somebody upload that Funkystepz remix of Rihanna, maybe throw it on dropbox, thanks!

Last edited:

rrrivero

Looks like Funkystepz - Circles finally has a release date - 5th of Feb. Not sure if it's been mentioned before, I'm currently busy reading up on the past few uhh..months

Benny Bunter

Also could somebody upload that Funkystepz remix of Rihanna, maybe throw it on dropbox, thanks!

if you go back a few pages i put a mediafire link up for the rhianna, should still work i think.

Somebody give Funkystepz a medal, they have moistened a petty dry musical year for me.

rrrivero

Cheers! Has it really been that dry of a year, though? Different tastes maybe, but I had quite a bit of fun this year

From memory:

Champion released Lighter, Sensitivity, Motherboard & Tribal Affair (I like that Wardance tune as well) and how good was that Cable set, really brightened up my life in already sunny Tunisia
FuzzyLogik provided us with Playground & that Casanova remix
Ill Blu released Meltdown and then there was that awesome mix for MistaJam, which according to rumour will see some tracks released off of it soon.
DJ Trizzy had some great (free) remixes out this year, like the Flight Facilities one
Devine released a bunch of stuff (on iTunes so I can't buy any of it :mad:)
Eastwood released Toilet Blocker and gave away a bunch of good tunes through Deja
Spooky gave away that Funky Fever EP for Carnival, haha
Andy Jay & S-Tee Radio Ravin mix + Spiralling + free tunes
LR Groove & Young One - 1st Step
Egypt - Stronger was such a jam
Funky Twinz made Smile (though that could be older)

Not much of a list, because I haven't been actively listening to funky for the past 2 months, and I don't have my purchase/download list from this year to lean back on, though there were plenty of good tunes I haven't listed. Though I think I know what you mean, in that there haven't been that many good examples of that poppy uplifting euphoric strand of Funky that Funkystepz excels in, and instead there's been something of an emphasis on the darker bassier "tear-out" tunes a'la Jook 10, which can get dry after a while (hence why I stopped listening to Marcus Nasty). In that sense, I'm really happy we have producers like Funkystepz, it's rather awe-inspiring how many big tunes they put out this year, even if they only uploaded them to youtube.

rrrivero

He gave away an EP on Deja with tracks like Quest & What's it gonna be. He also gave away his remix for Whitecoat's "You're no good for me" and Whitecoat gave away the remix he did for How Does It Feel. There could have been more, though afaik Eastwood doesn't really give away stuff much, unless he forgets to turn off downloads in Soundcloud, haha

Don't think he's released Hard Touch or Redclock yet, but he should!

Benny Bunter

rrivero, I agree with all those tunes you mention and theres lots more. I meant a pretty dry year overall generally, not just funky. Like you say, on the face of it its actually been a pretty strong year for funky in terms of releases. The way some things come out still baffles me though. Lots of free-giveaways, yet many great tracks still remain unreleased (and even unidentified!) and then you get things like the Donaeo albumcoming out with seemingly zero publicity or fanfare, destined to be overlooked and forgotten. Same with the Devine recordings stuff sadly.

Also, whats the deal with giving away a track for free, then a few months later trying to sell it? Funky Twinz 'Smile' was a free download from way back, so was Fives 'What you do', I'm sure there are other examples. Then you get stuff like Ossie's 'Set the tone' and Tarantula getting re-released when they were available about two years ago on UK Funky.com

I do think radio has been a bit less interesting this year compared to last. On a hype level theres been little to match Petchy's MC-laden shows of last year, and it seems like a waste that he just plays house now. I really thought some possibilities were opened up with those Last Supper shows that were never fully capitalised on...shame.

benw

couple of great funky times (imo) that haven't been mentioned yet:

Jook 10: that whole soul serious release (function ep?) function was definitely the best one, best funky tune to use midi horns to great effect without just catting lil silva for a bit. Also that emotions tune that was on the Jackmaster Fabriclive, tho i don't know if that ever came out (anyone?)

Lr Groove - The Groove

Greenmoney - Political Hype / Who's Greenmoney. Both great, 'are funky tunes with proper bashy female MCs on them.

Major Notes - kelewele & Ga$$ed

and then the usual ill blu, champion and funkystepz bits that people were feeling: sensitivity, meltdown, chelt, overdose, rihanna remix, trouble, john wayne.

looking back, a very good year for funky. infrastructure is coming along nicely, good level of releases + give aways etc.

Gombreak

Jook 10: that whole soul serious release (function ep?) function was definitely the best one, best funky tune to use midi horns to great effect without just catting lil silva for a bit. Also that emotions tune that was on the Jackmaster Fabriclive, tho i don't know if that ever came out (anyone?)

Think it's on Soulserious History Vol 2?

benw

yeah that is on vol 2, cheers for that. checking out 1st step now slackk. this is fucking sick. that little vocal sample + almost bassline'y bass but more simplified, is total win.

CFour

I haven't had much time for music recently, are people still recording Petchy sets?

I quite like his smoother sounding shows but used to love the Saturday night Last Supper shows, does anything like that happen anymore?

Basically if anyone knows of anywhere with some working links for any Petchy or Jerry Rankin shows, or in fact anything with Topsee on either, I'd really appreciate a point in the right direction :D

Benny Bunter

I haven't had much time for music recently, are people still recording Petchy sets?

I quite like his smoother sounding shows but used to love the Saturday night Last Supper shows, does anything like that happen anymore?

Basically if anyone knows of anywhere with some working links for any Petchy or Jerry Rankin shows, or in fact anything with Topsee on either, I'd really appreciate a point in the right direction :D

I don't really catch those shows anymore, I'd like to know myself. It seemed like Petchy stopped doing the saturday shows a while back but I'm not sure.

heres the link to a load of shows i recorded, mainly from last year but you might have heard them already. Maybe David M has some more recent shows from Devine recordings, I don't know. http://www.mediafire.com/?8a7x9gdjjs7q7

edit: it seems Jerry Rankin has a show on this radio station now, not listened though http://www.housefm.net/update.htm
and he's got a mixcloud too, seems to be mainly straight house sounds though http://www.mixcloud.com/player/

Last edited: