Pestario

tell your friends
anyone want to hazard a guess when Marcus will be on? Since it's funky and dubstep on the same night, I'm guessing (hoping) that MArcus will be on as a 'warm-up' leaving Skream to do his tear-out dubstep thing later in the night when I won't be there.

doom

Public Housing
more interviews on riddim.ca? lookin forward. You are a don for recording as well! Rinse blog is not doin alot! :mad:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Is there a tracklisting for that Marcus Nasty download set (presumably from his Rinse set) from September 1 that has been available generally to download? There are some sick tracks on there (especially the one that comes in at around 7 minutes with those, for want of a better word, wonky vocals) but I have no idea what most of them are.

viktorvaughn

gumdrops

funky is still really half and half for me. on one hand theres the instrumental/grime-in-disguise stuff which i love, and then you have the vocal tunes, which barring a few, make me think about what else i could be doing with my life other than listening to rinse on wed nights. after all that cheesiness, i actually found myself appreciating skreams show a lot more.

viktorvaughn

funky is still really half and half for me. on one hand theres the instrumental/grime-in-disguise stuff which i love, and then you have the vocal tunes, which barring a few, make me think about what else i could be doing with my life other than listening to rinse on wed nights. after all that cheesiness, i actually found myself appreciating skreams show a lot more.

I love the grime-in-disguise stuff and i tell myself I like the cheesy soaring vocal stuff less but when it comes on i love that side too! There is something about the ying/yang impossibly saccharine/grimey as fuck combo that does it for me.

Mac 10s Best of Funky Vocals 2008 is pretty excellent.

gumdrops

i like some of the cheesy stuff (in the air, do you mind, tell me, even emotions with that cheesy trumpet sample! etc) but some of its just too insipid for me. i tried telling myself i liked it but then my real brain reminded me otherwise lol.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man

I really like the balance between the instrumental and vocal stuff.There are a slew of amazing vocals out there ''Do You Mind'',''Devil In A Blue Dress'',''Tell Me'' and {of particular note} ''Something In The Air'' for example.

The track Skream started his show off with sounded grey,crackly and torpid in comparison to the Marcus Nasty show which procceded it and I thought there are other things I could be doing with my life,like listening to this for example:

THE BEST OF FUNKY HOUSE VOCALS 2008

http://djmakten.podomatic.com/entry/2008-10-27T06_30_55-07_00

Last edited:

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
i like some of the cheesy stuff (in the air, do you mind, tell me, even emotions with that cheesy trumpet sample! etc) but some of its just too insipid for me. i tried telling myself i liked it but then my real brain reminded me otherwise lol.

I just read this after posting my response.We seem to have namechecked the same vocals!:D

Not sure about Rankin's little sexual vignettes in his bars though...

Yeah it got awkward for a minute

Sounded a bit like a faux-hard 16 year old boy boasting about how many girls he has shagged or something..hmm.

Ahhhh lighten up. this sorta thing was fairly common in late hardcore / early DnB rave emceeing (anyone remember that Bassman chat..."When a woman is a yoot she use a finger...!") It's kinda funny.

The vocal tracks are equally full of cliched sexual content (tho chintzified in comparison), the point being a branding exercise, this is fun club music where pulling goes on, a sexualised experience in contrast to what else is currently on offer. Either way i wouldn't fret, the way things are going Funky will be student drug casualty / beardstroke fodder within a year and all the avowedly cheesy / tasteless elements will have been ironed out for all you sophisticates ;)