Page 6 of 565 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast

Thread: Funky/London/UK House

Just wondering whether early converts to House like Grant nelson, Jeremy Sylvester or the Dreem Teem play any part in this scene, or is it mainly low profile pirate DJ's?

Default A new cohesion?

It seems like there is a real convergence going on between all the (not so) different London scenes; grime, dupstep, UKG, bassline and funky house are all being appreciated by DJs and clubbers who claim to be into different sounds.

To me a set of all these styles played together doesn't sound too different from a 1997 UK garage set, when producers, DJs and clubbers were, imho, far less conservative about what they considered appropriate for the dance floor. Which meant you had a scene with the broad mindedness to include everything from DJ Zinc to Masters at Work to TuffJam to Groove Chronicles to TJ Cases. I think this diversity was part of UKG's (then) mass appeal.

Is this something people could see happening again? It sounds like it might be already.

Quote Originally Posted by MATT MAson View Post
    a 1997 UK garage set
    does anyone have one of these?

Here's a classic CD of 97/98 garage to download. http://www.sendspace.com/file/d5i302
    http://www.discogs.com/release/202867

The most important thing to bear in mind is that roundabout this time Garage had largely shed it's American tunes roots and fully embraced local productions. Hence 2-step becoming an acceptable staple in DJ sets, albeit not many were actually made back then compared to the massive amount of 4 to the floor stuff, but yeah, it had become culturally self sufficient.

I'd definitely say UK garage is a very very diverse genre when you think about it, from mid 90's to 2000 onwards, with things progressing and changing at a very fast pace, I guess this is what Matt Mason is imlying. You might have also heard unobvious tunes in Garage of this era, like early 90's stuff like Lenny De Ice- we are ie; or DeePatten- Who's the badman.

I reckon there are definitely limitations when it comes to this whole hardcore continuum theory in practice, but London pirate radio regularly has shows that can feature close to a decade of garage. Just something about the garage audience, they love the idea of old skool as much as commercial clubs. I'm not too sure what's going on with this new breed of London house DJ's, nor am I convinced that it's all that relevant (not too sure if it's a niche market or not), but if they can offer something alternative to the mainstream house they are at least doing something right.

I just found this tape from 2000, in my Mac/Ice FM days, which illustrates the kind of cohesion I’m talking about. A few years back it was cool to play 2-step with 4/4 with break beat with MC tracks, but music got really segregated for a while. I’m thinking maybe cohesion is coming back around only with dubstep, funky house, grime, niche etc… I could be wrong.

1. Kenny G – Havana (Todd Terry dub mix)
    2. Plump DJs – Electric Disco
    3. Ramesy & Fen feat. Maxwell D – Favorite Part of Me
    4. Some breakbeat record Deekline gave me.
    5. Godwin – Only You (Matt Jam and Gavin Face remix)
    6. DJ Zinc – Hold On
    7. Sia – Little Man (Exemen Remix)
    8. Some break beat track I got from Vinyl Addiction in Camden.
    9. Lenny Fontana – Spirit of the Sun (Bump & Flex mix)
    10. Phoenix – If I Ever Feel Better (Todd Edwards mix)
    11. Dreem Teem vs. Artful Dodger – It Ain’t Enough
    12. The Jam Experience – Feel My Love
    13. Changing Faces – That Other Woman
    14. Santos – Camels (DJ Zinc remix)
    15. Some DEA tune with some MC on it.
    16. Plump DJs – Fever
    17. Zoom & DBX – Too Much
    18. DJ Zinc – 138 Trek (Vocal mix feat. MC GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by tomd View Post
    does anyone have one of these?
    The epitomy of all styles of garage put together in one set =

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5225915ffa04b4/

I agree with Matt. If I was a Garage DJ right now I would be having a field day playing 2-3 dubstep tunes, 2-3 bassline tunes, 5-6 funky house tunes and the rest Grime and Garage in a hour set where people would not stop dancing.
    logansama.blogspot.com
    myspace.com/djlogansama
    info@logansama.com

New show time! Monday night 11pm-1am Kiss 100
    kiss100.com

Listen to the show HERE or HERE

Quote Originally Posted by MATT MAson View Post
    It seems like there is a real convergence going on between all the (not so) different London scenes; grime, dupstep, UKG, bassline and funky house are all being appreciated by DJs and clubbers who claim to be into different sounds.

Is this something people could see happening again? It sounds like it might be already.
    I wrote about this idea, the idea of an urban tempo plateau, over the summer.

thing is, i'm not sure its happening in London, bar funky house DJs playing "night". it was only when on holiday in the med did northern bassline heads meet funky house fans at nights hosted by grime mcs playing dubstep... bar geeneus booking funky house djs at FWD>>, it's all quite compartmentalised for now.

shame, those 2000 (UKG, 2step, 4x4, breakbeat garage, dark 4x4, proto dubstep & grime) times were fun...

around 1999/2000 was a really fun time, id sort of forgot the plump djs could ever have been garage considering how turgid and boring they (and breaks as a whole) ended up a short while later. I remember seeing them guys around this time back home in derry (christ i think i was about 17 and still at school) play to about 20 people in a crappy bar and loving what they were doing with dark garage, its a shame they went off the boil.

re Plump DJs, its the Fabric effect. hang around there enough and you lose your sense of direction. Ask the Stanton "we used to mix in garage" Warriors...

haha ive managed to avoid fabric altogether the last few years, 400+ clubs aint been doing anything for me for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Sama View Post

That particular EZ intro was always one of my favourites - militant octave shift bassline.

Rossi B and Luca are really good at doing that mix-up of styles - all their sets are really live. But one thing I really don't like about the whole cohesion thing is that a lot of DJs don't really realize that taking 4 or 5 genres and trying to make something out of it is a very difficult task. For every Rossi B and Luca there are about insert number here DJs who just come like dilettantes. Even when you're not dealing in a very wide range of bpms.

EDIT: To big it up for the second time, anyone who hasn't heard Prancehall's Anger is a Gift mixtape should now use this thread as an excuse to check it out because it's another good example of the right way to go about taking a load of different styles and creating something that makes sense and sounds good out of them.
    Last edited by Sick Boy; 30-11-2007 at 06:13 AM.

T&B do this really well, their parties are all over the shop genre wise, just about energy and the dance. Although Bassline has become more prevalent of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Sama View Post

Noticed this guy is playing at a bar in Sheffield next week.