hint

party record with a siren
It's a shame that Goya have gone down at a time when a significant section of their catalogue could possibly find a whole new audience.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Wow. I only just realized there is one distinct thing that really divides funky house from the rest of house music.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

RELOADS.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Wow. I only just realized there is one distinct thing that really divides funky house from the rest of house music.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

RELOADS.

That's f***ing fantastic - there's not one bloke to be seen! Those beats just sound heavy. I was listening to Footloose's show on 1Xtra last night and there was a load of real hyper stuff at the beginning of the show, not limp sounding funky-house with rhodes keys and dull beats. I'm loving this stuff right now, even if it is reminiscent of ten or eleven years ago...

mms

sometimes
blimey that night remix is a lovely thing.
hope it comes out, it's far less irritating than the original and those chords at the end are nice.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Check out these broken beat tunes:

Mentor Roska
track called Feeline, or

"Just Leave" - Footloose feat. Simone
the Fingerprint's dark dub mix

Also the second half of Supa D's 'Exclusive Casa Funk NYE Promo Mix' has some interesting tunes which have only drums, percussions and sub bass going on.

If funky house is like being 2step and then evolving into "grime & dubstep", how would the "grime" stuff sound then? Maybe somekind of dark hip-house :D

That Supa D mix is fantastic - although I'm only talking about the second half as you recommended. Lots of dubs and dj tools - a great one is: Alex Wizz - Drummin (H2O Remix), real bassy tribal stuff. I'm definitely hearing this sound a lot right now, just out and about on the street, at clubs and in cars. The next step is for more and more UK/London productions coming through, which I guess is happening with Footloose, Apple, MA1, Moonshine (aka Geeneus - his tracks 'Yellow Tail' and 'Make Me' are great), Crazy Cousinz etc.

That track 'Feeline' by Roska is absolutely fantastic! It's about 61mins in on the Supa D set, and sounds great in the mix. Sounds less broken beat and more like an offbeat house dub type thing. I think that whole sound is great. There's a vocal MC track that Footloose plays on his show called "MC Creeper - Dub" which is also on the Supa D mix (41mins) but without the vocal. Once again the beats aren't 4x4, but the hat patterns kinda are, which gives it the housey swing and pulse I guess. I'm thinking there'll be more experimentation within this area by UK producers. I was saying on the African Youtube post that a lot of the UK stuff seems to have a similar sound to the African house scenes (of which I know next to nothing about). A direct influence on London producers with African heritage perhaps?

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
In alot of that stuff I'm hearing alot more of a Brazilian influence in the beats, much more Giles Peterson-y than I'd like. That Yellowtail track by Geeneus is great though, thanks for the links.

If funky house is like being 2step and then evolving into "grime & dubstep", how would the "grime" stuff sound then? Maybe somekind of dark hip-house :D

If you check the Fingaprint and Tadow myspaces they've both done MC vocal tracks. heard tadow "stress out" a few times lately...kinda like it... he's pushing a more stripped back, subby sound...

tadow

http://http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=114320657

fingaprint

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=100079979

having said that, there actually WAS a booty white label of "i'll house you" on the rhythm division release sheet a couple of weeks back!

continuum

smugpolice
Funky House vs Bassline

2197167624_d9d1170cbd.jpg

2196379439_fb8d47209a.jpg

straight

wings cru
any night with sniffer dofs outside is bound to be a hoot. them as it is tv guys look like the biggest bunch of tossers, sunglasses and scarfs in the club in them xmas vids. and £20 in? them sort of promoters are flat out scum, you can guess how many performers will actually get see cash

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Like garage, so many of these beats would be better without their ill-advised vocals.

To whoever was talking about Africa's link to funky house: from Apple's biography on his myspace: "My music is heavily influenced by my African heritage which includes the Conga Natty sound. "

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I wonder: does anyone know of a good place to buy Funky digital releases? I'd be into that. I tried to have a look round but people seem to be calling this shit so many different things right now that it is proving a bit difficult.

straight

wings cru
don't think theres much chance of that sick boy, seems to be distributed on the same kind of channels as grime. i suppose you could do random searches of tracks on beatport, juno etc but i don't think you'll come up with much. having a main boy called apple doesnt help with the googling either until someone makes up a new name for it

Last edited:

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Not one post in over a month... come on!

Rosko's track 'Feeline' is out next week on junodownload.com

DJ MA1's 'I'm Right Here' is out NOW

I'm sure Crazy Couzins' 'Bongo Jam' is out.

SUPA D's RINSE CD is out in the next couple of weeks, all UK produkky.

and Footloose's shows on 1Xtra are FIRIN'!

Last edited:

gremino

Moster Sirphine
Rosko's track 'Feeline' is out next week on junodownload.com
Apparently it's going to be new, better produced version. Listen it from his Myspace. It's not anymore as raw as the original, but sounds better than it imo.

I'm really struggling to find a mix/rinse podcast that's playing the darker, more UK end of this that everyone is saying exists. any help?