gremino

Moster Sirphine
Personally the last thing I'm trying to do is actively search for the next big thing; I've just heard loads of tracks that I love dancing to, and they're all these UK funky things.
Hehe, sometimes I keep asking from myself am I just searching for the next big thing, or honestly just wanting to hear good new music :D But if there's a new emerging sound coming, ofcourse it's interesting to follow where it goes!

About Feeline: it might have sounded different just because I listened them with headphones. Acoustics of reverbs sounded very different...

There's new sampler in Roska's Myspace, 4 track EP coming (If it's broken don't fix it EP).

hint

party record with a siren
Footloose plays it on 1Xtra every week. It's either MC or DJ Creeper - Unknown Dub. He plays an MC version of it, which when added to the beat sounds like old So Solid. It's pretty interesting in a real basic way. I love the fact the track really makes you wait for the bass line, and there's a real impact when it hits.

Thanks!

That's the interesting stuff for me - the hollow / fidgety drums leaving a big space for the bass to fill up.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
You can't really rave to grime or dubstep in the same way, I wouldn't classify them as dancing music.
Not seen (for instance) Kode 9 lately, then?

"Dubstep is boring undanceable macho wub wub music, don't bother going to dubstep nights if you want to have fun or rave" is a) a very much self-fullfilling prophecy and b) getting a bit long imo.

OT, I'm really liking this Marcus Nasty set.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Not seen (for instance) Kode 9 lately, then?

"Dubstep is boring undanceable macho wub wub music, don't bother going to dubstep nights if you want to have fun or rave" is a) a very much self-fullfilling prophecy and b) getting a bit long imo.

OT, I'm really liking this Marcus Nasty set.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not saying grime or dubstep are boring at all. I've loved grime since day dot and still do, but that's more a spectator thing at a club. Obviously you can dance to dubstep, but I wouldn't say it fulfills the same kind of function; it certainly attracts more of a male audience, and I think a majority of tracks released are more headz-y. It's certainly a ganja smoking thing, as opposed to a getting tipsy + whatever else and meeting girls thing. I'm loving D1's I'm Loving btw!

That's Gangsta - Footloose Remix is a nice raw, bassliney track.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not saying grime or dubstep are boring at all. I've loved grime since day dot and still do, but that's more a spectator thing at a club. Obviously you can dance to dubstep, but I wouldn't say it fulfills the same kind of function; it certainly attracts more of a male audience, and I think a majority of tracks released are more headz-y. It's certainly a ganja smoking thing, as opposed to a getting tipsy + whatever else and meeting girls thing.
Yeah, okay, I see what you're saying. If anything I'd say dubstep's more about raving and funky's about clubbing.

I just see an increasing number of people not really bothering to support (or even check out) the people in dubstep who are doing funky / percussive / deep / varied stuff because it's easier for them to generalize that dubstep is all turgid metallic halfstep plod and that anyone with half a pulse should leave it well alone. Which will only become true if people let it, imo...

benjybars

village elder.
Yeah, okay, I see what you're saying. If anything I'd say dubstep's more about raving and funky's about clubbing.

I just see an increasing number of people not really bothering to support (or even check out) the people in dubstep who are doing funky / percussive / deep / varied stuff because it's easier for them to generalize that dubstep is all turgid metallic halfstep plod and that anyone with half a pulse should leave it well alone. Which will only become true if people let it, imo...

agree fully...

mos dan

fact music
linked to discarda discussion in grime thread [is this what people call a 'xpost'? i never know]:

http://www.myspace.com/discarda

the most significant thing about discarda's comeback is that he, above all else, is spearheading the much-vaunted grime takeover of funky.

i implore you to check out the 'funky vs grime' track on his myspace. discarda is the godfather of the new movement, and this is the movement's 'pulse x'. listen closely to 1:20-1:47 and dare to tell me that we are not, at present, staring into a bold, brave new future. this is not a time for soundbites, but i feel the hand of history on my shoulder...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i implore you to check out the 'funky vs grime' track on his myspace. discarda is the godfather of the new movement, and this is the movement's 'pulse x'. listen closely to 1:20-1:47 and dare to tell me that we are not, at present, staring into a bold, brave new future. this is not a time for soundbites, but i feel the hand of history on my shoulder...

looool
wasssssted.

continuum

smugpolice
linked to discarda discussion in grime thread [is this what people call a 'xpost'? i never know]:

http://www.myspace.com/discarda

the most significant thing about discarda's comeback is that he, above all else, is spearheading the much-vaunted grime takeover of funky.

big bars

doom

Public Housing
Marcus Nasty on Deja - plenty of 'edgy' stuff on that.

This set is sick!

Anyone know any names of tunes being played / if they are out?

The 3 tunes from the 'devil in a blue dress' bit are reallyreally good! The one before it as well.

Love the total lack synthetic drums, and very few tunes on that set seem to fit the clap/snare on the 2/4 witha offbeat open hat house 'mould' and with the mc chat over the top its bloody awesome!!!

obv I listen to F all 'deep' house tho... if anyone can recommend any bits like that 'feeline' tune Ach! linked to Id be very gratefull :cool:

grabbing a few more of those mixes for now tho.

Ach!

Turd on the Run

I guess I mean rave in the more caribbean/jamiacan sense of the word, if you get what i'm saying

Check out Geeneus' remix of Night, which I'm sure will come in for some criticism. It's basic but it works.

nomos

Administrator
these tunes need records. but it's kind of exciting that they don't right now. radio is perfect.

the apple one... sheeeez...:cool:. he's really refining that sound and it's working.

(thanks for the set slackk. is there a reason why these deja ones are cut up? this one's got pieces 10, 17 and 55 seconds long. can i join them without transcoding?)

doom

Public Housing
I've been bumping that new(ish) set from marcus nastys myspace blogs for the last week... gets crazy deep!

That tune that gets wheeled (how many times?) and the one a tune later with the dirty organ/synth note/drone... tooo good!!!