Blackdown

nexKeysound
It seems like there is a real convergence going on between all the (not so) different London scenes; grime, dupstep, UKG, bassline and funky house are all being appreciated by DJs and clubbers who claim to be into different sounds.

Is this something people could see happening again? It sounds like it might be already.

I wrote about this idea, the idea of an urban tempo plateau, over the summer.

thing is, i'm not sure its happening in London, bar funky house DJs playing "night". it was only when on holiday in the med did northern bassline heads meet funky house fans at nights hosted by grime mcs playing dubstep... bar geeneus booking funky house djs at FWD>>, it's all quite compartmentalised for now.

shame, those 2000 (UKG, 2step, 4x4, breakbeat garage, dark 4x4, proto dubstep & grime) times were fun...

straight

wings cru
around 1999/2000 was a really fun time, id sort of forgot the plump djs could ever have been garage considering how turgid and boring they (and breaks as a whole) ended up a short while later. I remember seeing them guys around this time back home in derry (christ i think i was about 17 and still at school) play to about 20 people in a crappy bar and loving what they were doing with dark garage, its a shame they went off the boil.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
re Plump DJs, its the Fabric effect. hang around there enough and you lose your sense of direction. Ask the Stanton "we used to mix in garage" Warriors...

straight

wings cru
haha ive managed to avoid fabric altogether the last few years, 400+ clubs aint been doing anything for me for a long time.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Rossi B and Luca are really good at doing that mix-up of styles - all their sets are really live. But one thing I really don't like about the whole cohesion thing is that a lot of DJs don't really realize that taking 4 or 5 genres and trying to make something out of it is a very difficult task. For every Rossi B and Luca there are about insert number here DJs who just come like dilettantes. Even when you're not dealing in a very wide range of bpms.

EDIT: To big it up for the second time, anyone who hasn't heard Prancehall's Anger is a Gift mixtape should now use this thread as an excuse to check it out because it's another good example of the right way to go about taking a load of different styles and creating something that makes sense and sounds good out of them.

Last edited:

Chuu

Well La Di Bloody Da
T&B do this really well, their parties are all over the shop genre wise, just about energy and the dance. Although Bassline has become more prevalent of late.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Re: Funky Whatever....Just call it SATURDAY NIGHT.Any other description is superfluous....

It matters not a jot if it has the approval of myself or anyone else on this forum.When you dance you don't talk and bullshit must walk....Follow me out of here....

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

Very nice piece- had notice the increasing tendency for DJs to refer to just "funky" on the radio.

:rolleyes:

What about the MCs that are currently in this scene though? they've got a proper olllld school vibe, almost like hardcore mcs. Dogtanians got these bars about not getting angry if someone spills champagne on your shirt ;)

continuum

smugpolice
Great interview! The generally journalist-shy main players talking openly like that about the present and future in print is unusual.

big up to Geeneus for again

confirming that it was 'journos' who came up with Grime and bringing back the Forward thing I typed from long time...plus the Funky tag I typed some weeks back

good blog though...it's all House and Garage to me...why can't it just be left at that? or at least UK House?

makes we wanna d/l some Rinse podcasts lol - what are the DJ's to check for (still can't personally forgive Bossman for dussing out)?

big up Monestry in Gate lol!

Last edited: