glasshand

dj panic attack
soz, when i said "anything" i didn't mean anything in general, i meant "they won't be feeling nostalgic for anything they actually experienced [in this case]".
if u kno what i mean, poor phrasing

Benny Bunter

glasshand i'm pretty much with you apart from lumping in 'fatherless' with all that nightslugs toss. it might have had a liminal relationship to funky proper, but that was a genuine banger in its own right in the wider house world.

re: those roundtables, a funky revival doesn't interest me but i do miss these shenanigans i must say.

CrowleyHead

Nostalgia nights aren't made for those who do not feel nostalgia. They're for those who experienced and want to relieve it. Remove the context of funky: The Garage Revival is Retromania, but Garage Nation nights are Nostalgia fests, like band reunion cruises or w/e. You can't blend the two together. Yes there will be a young hipster "Man I missed out" element tagging around, but that same wave has already been mined Funky or did Brackles/Night Slugs not happen??? The parasitic aspect of the post-dubstep diaspora crowd has long moved past Funky, you're hardly going to see them return to making that sort of stuff. It'd be like trying to do "purple dubstep" records again.

A funky revival is more plausible than a garage revival though because garage had recognizable phases and movements and sub-genres... Funky didn't have that opportunity.

CrowleyHead

And that's not wishful thinking on my part strictly. I'm just saying, its a lot more plausible than "WE'RE BRINGING BACK GARAGE" and it'd be curious to see the attempt. Especially as the guys responsible are a bit more savvier than the garage crowd.

Dimensions

Epic thread... which actually brought me to this forum.

Here's a little funky mix I did... some forgotten classics and a few less heard tunes that I hope those in the know will appreciate ;)

https://soundcloud.com/dimensionsuk/dimensions-uk-funky-time-capsule-mix

Unknown dubplate - Unknown
Unknown dubplate - Unknown
Time to Let Go - Perempay & Dee
Mirror Dance - Afefe Iku
Rhythm & Funk - 86 Baby
I Try - Moonshine feat Katy B
Just Won't Do (Digital Dubstar remix) - Tim Deluxe
Different - Lil Silva
Unknown dubplate - Greyman
Right Here (DJ Naughty remix) - MA1 feat Sophia
Rider - Ill Blu
The Way You Move - Fuzzy Logik
Speechless - DJ Naughty feat Natalie
Rass Out - Altered Natives
Heartless Anthem (funky remix) - Heartless Crew
Give It Up - MA1 feat Sophia
Gotta Have It - Mad One
Don't Be Alarmed - Maxwell D
Rolex Sweep - Skepta
Digital Watches - Altered Natives
Biscuits - Agent X

datwun

Yo yo, sorry for the shameless request, but does anyone have any links to recordings of old Marcus Nasty Dejavu shows?

Would be massively appreciated!

datwun

Corpsey if you're reading this check ur DMs pllllz!

Sorry for the double post, but the new EP on HNH goes somewhere between here and the deep tech thread.

3 wicked tracks from none other than Glasgow's Naitv

https://soundcloud.com/housenothouseuk/sets/hnh-004-nativ-the-lost-ep-coming-soon

For HNH 004 we’re coming differently, with an absolutely corking EP from none other than Glasgow's Nativ. Nativ’s best known for his floor-ready UK funky rollers, getting into the sound through Marcus Nasty’s Rinse FM sets in the late 00s and continuing to churn out the bangers and push funky FWDs long after most had moved on to the next thing. On his EP for us, he’s kept the skipping snare polyrhythms but come deeper and darker. Title track Lost? sets the spacey scene with its twinkling melody floating over the swirling atmospherics and heart-beat throbbing bassline, while its tight, military snares propel the thing forwards. That Night is the darkest of the bunch with its cinematic strings and tribal drums conjuring up a post-apocalyptic landscape and its compact, slow-burning energy as likely to appeal to dubstep skankers as deep tech shufflers. Finally, on Innocence, with its submarine radar bleeps and globular, pulsing bass, Nativ takes us 10,000 feet below sea. Taking in influences from dubstep to techno, UK funky to jungle, this is House Not House in a nutshell, and we know it’s gonna be moving dancefloors internationally this summer!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I want a scene like funky again where you're locked into every release and radio show. Where is that these days?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That's an interesting point, actually. With the abundance of entertainment available to teenagers these days perhaps there isn't the same need for scenes to bring people together socially.