CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting

What uk funky had which no other ardcore genre of recent years has had was the potential for ''girly'' R&B bangers AND ''ladzy'' paint-stripping bangers in the same set

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i also like how artificial and cheap a lot of the sounds are in uk funky

it sounds like it was made before the software upgrade which makes all music sound uniformly hi definition and dull

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
just listened to that miss me tune 5 times in a row

you know you've found something good when you start sucking at its teat like a laboratory rat

luka

In their polystylistic quasi-cynicism (throwing anything and everything at the wall, shamelessly copying dozens of blueprints) and their capacity to stay ahead of the curve while still being quintessentially generic, Funkystepz remind me of my garage hero Bump & Flex (Grant Nelson), a commercial-minded producer who nonetheless made some of the most amazing, forward thinking garage tracks ever, especially in its 2000-2002 period - tunes like his hardstep dub of Doolally, his dancehall dub of Cleptomaniacs' "All I Do" and his dub of Mis-Teeq's "B With Me" were intensely physical, spiky barnstormers whose wired dancehall vibe was overlooked by many garage fetishists presumably on account of the dude's slightly mercantile quality, the sense (shared with other awesome producers like Dubaholics) that this guy was probably a remixer-for-hire, inevitably tied to the commercial fortunes of garage as a whole rather than a solitary trailblazer, not the kind of producer prepared to blow everything on exquisitely pressed, economically disastrous limited-run label imprints to be treasured for ever (the kind of thing you need if you want to be retrospectively lionised). Funkystepz feel similarly practical, defiantly un-iconoclastic and yet perversely inspired in their all-encompassing embrace of the entire genre.

and so on and so forth

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
A lot of critics/music writers do that 'taking a UK funky tune/gangsta rap tune as seriously as dialectical materialism' thing, but only a few do it well - TIM F, REYNOLDS etc.

so much so that Tim F's writing was part of the whole Funky intoxication thing for me - he had me believing it was truly the greatest burst of sunshine the arid music scene had seen since UK Garage

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Goon Club Allstars just reissued KG's 808. In the media they've tried to make it seem like it was this super rare, secret track when anyone could buy it off ukfunky.net. Still, it's a good track and it's nice it's getting some wider exposure.

<iframe style="border: 0; width: 100%; height: 120px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer...acklist=false/artwork=small/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="">GCA008 - KG EP by KG</a></iframe>

Stuff like this obviously feeds into a uk funky revival narrative, but I don't really see it. It feels kind of mechanical - like it's been 10 years now so it should be due for a comeback. And insofar as there is one I'm not sure it's with the original audience.

Obviously tracks by Nervous Horizon/Akito/NKC etc take influence from it (or they were even making it at the time), but I think it would be better if that stuff was allowed to form its own identity rather than just getting tagged as a UK funky revival because it's got some syncopated drums.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
only way uk funky is revivied is if Jeremy Corbyn does the migraine skank live on stage at the labour party conference

sadmanbarty

the kind of people who were into funky are into afroswing now, so there's no hole that needs filling by a revival. garage nights are still packed with busty bermondsey girls because there isn't another genre that's a close enough analogue.

the only other way it revives is if students get into it (as with the uni-grime of butterz and boy better know). but i think it's too tacky and cheesy for them (for the record i love it).

continuum

smugpolice
I want a scene like funky again where you're locked into every release and radio show. Where is that these days?

You're not looking in the right places! US Hip Hop / Road Rap / Dancehall all equals yawn. Bass House / Bassline / Deep Tech (maybe less so) / Grime all have lots of new interesting releases etc going on.

Benny Bunter

'Frontline' by Princess Nyah on Spotify has me pure nostalgic for 2010 listening to Marcus and Mak 10 on Rinse :weepemoji:

Anyone got a link to that?

Fire over some uk funky sets for me to bathe my wrinkles in

I am your man.

A while back I shared these two sets with barty and the links still work so you're in luck.

Mak 10 & Shantie on deja 2009
https://www.mediafire.com/?dwyafub5f0jd63m

Dubplate wonder - Wonderland mix
https://www.mediafire.com/?c8arrbk3nklnb2g

Both these were discussed a lot on ilx and tim f's blog at the time and really are as good as tim made them sound

Benny Bunter

Or were you asking for a specific marcus/mak 10 b2b set? Dont think I have that but those two should scratch your itch regardless

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Thanks!

I was thinking of that famous mak and marcus set on Rinse (''it's not boring!'') but I'll take whatever you've got

luka

garage nights are still packed with busty bermondsey girls because there isn't another genre that's a close enough analogue.

that news'll get craner selling up in Barry and moving back to London asap