Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Dubplate Boris. Supa D. Apple. Funky Taffa. and other Rinse DJs. Wigman (?). It's growing and changing. UK house: the new UK garage?

I hope not. I was planning while I was in London over the summer to investigate a bit and see exactly how big it is, but never got round to it. UK house is still a really elusive concept to me; it hasn't really been defined to me, yet.

I'll listen to some dance comps that describe themselves as funky house and occasionally get a load of club-banger electro-house shit, but then I switch on Rinse and I hear this chilled out, second-room vibe house music that I really just find fuckin boring. It sounds like hairdresser music.

What the fuck is UK house?!

Logos

Ghosts of my life
I remember driving around East London a couple of months ago listening to the pirates and was quite shocked...caught the end of this DJs show (not sure of the station) and he was playing these nuts tunes...kind of a soca beat with weird percussive elements and what I can only describe as rapid-ish (as in ruff sqwad) horns flying around. Well thats what it sounds like in my memory. Then the ads came on and the next DJ was pretty boring generic 'funky'.

Remember thinking - 'here goes the London machine again...'

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
It's growing and changing. UK house: the new UK garage?
I think I predicted that somewhere on this forum. Seems almost inevitable that if it gets established enough people will start to fuck with it the way they did with hip hop, house, techno, garage, and now house again. Also right on time, if you (simplistically, but let's try it) consider present day dubstep to be about where jungle was circa 97/98, when UKG was developing in response.

If there's something to this then it could get very exciting soon :D (though hopefully with a better name). Please post news as it comes up.

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
was looking to start a thread on this very subject

does anyone know of / have any mixes or know any frequencies for the grimier / more evolved sounds?

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Yeah would be interested to know too...are there any DJs who are known as particularly 'forward'...a lot of the stuff on rinse seems to be this odd mix (to my ears) of actual deep house (kind of Kevin Yost vibe I guess), MAW, crap handbag sounding stuff a la 1995 and really interesting percussive stuff which sits somewhere between the co-op sound, soca and a hatcha set circa 2003.

Who is pushing the boat out sonically?

IKoss

Wild Horses
try pre-electro stuff from; 'soul avengers', 'hoxton-whores', 'freemasons', or 'stonebridge' even though they are swedes, i believe..

but as far as the "uk/funky" sound.. i think those are fair examples of what is defined there?.. been out of that loop for a while..
but it's basically the UK adaptation of US funky house. in other words way more soulful/vocal/upfront than, industrial/deep/techy.. string-key in place of riff-warp etc etc.

Tanadan

likes things
I remember driving around East London a couple of months ago listening to the pirates and was quite shocked...caught the end of this DJs show (not sure of the station) and he was playing these nuts tunes...kind of a soca beat with weird percussive elements and what I can only describe as rapid-ish (as in ruff sqwad) horns flying around. Well thats what it sounds like in my memory. Then the ads came on and the next DJ was pretty boring generic 'funky'.

Remember thinking - 'here goes the London machine again...'

That sounds uncannily like Stageshow Rhythm by Skepta...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
It's not a fully defined standalone thing as yet as i understand it- allowing djs space to play big crossover club shit like "At Night" or Fedde Le Grand (!)...and plenty of vocal stuff... but i think the direction Blackdown is talking about(?) would be represented by something like Apples Mr. Bean which is on his myspace...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=123231321

This Apple guy is actually pretty good.

'Mad Crazy Skank' is deep, sounds like funky grime or something. I could see Tinchy over this beat easily.

Does anyone know if this guy is released or particularly big in the scene? Is this indicative of what this UK house stuff sounds like?
Are there others like him?

Last edited:
This Apple guy is actually pretty good.

'Mad Crazy Skank' is deep, sounds like funky grime or something. I could see Tinchy over this beat easily.

Does anyone know if this guy is released or particularly big in the scene? Is this indicative of what this UK house stuff sounds like?
Are there others like him?

mr bean has been getting regular play outs, it was on the rinse studio mix towards the end, and on fuck radio 5 if i remember correctly, so it seems apple is going places, i'd get in quick if i were you sickboy

mos dan

fact music
right now all of the funky house on rinse is pretty boring, watery pap to me. one or two of the tunes are alright. but it was deadout at the rinse night at cargo, and, crucially, it's clearly not half as successful as bassline in terms of reaching garage fans, or in repeating garage's impact (nightclub dramas, tunes like 'heartbroken' on daytime radio 1 and blaring out of every 14yr old girl's mobile). so i would think anyone boasting about predicting funky house's success might want to hold on, for the moment anyway ;)

as far as i can see funky's only triumph so far, creative or otherwise, is that geeneus prefers it to grime.

do prove me wrong though eh. especially if you do it in a manner that echoes 'tropical' :D

Alfons

Way of the future
man there are too many terms being used :confused:
I have too many questions. is funky house not the same as bassline house? what the hell is niche? and Uk house? :rolleyes:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
man there are too many terms being used :confused:
I have too many questions. is funky house not the same as bassline house? what the hell is niche? and Uk house? :rolleyes:

No - and apparently "niche" and "bassline" are interchangeable to mean the new-school 4x4 garage that is going on in northern england.
What I want to know is exactly what UK house is, when funky house essentially seems to mean "everything" right now.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
@Sick Boy - to be clear what we're talking about, it's house sounds + the urban 'nuum demographic. For now some of it sounds like the usual wine bar/international 'dance' sound but as it mutates, this wont last long.

@Logos - funny you mention Soca, that's what I noticed at Rinse/Cargo, the overlaying of Soca rhythms.

@nomos - re your jungle analogy, i dont think this is developing in response to dubstep, this is clearly a response to the agression and lack of danceability in grime.

@MATT MAson - yes you did son... :)

@MosDan - i was stood next to you at Cargo son and some of the tunes were OK, not as tedious as most winebar'funky' mostly because of the overlayed Soca patterns.

@Alfons - Niche/Bassline & 4/4 house = northern post-speed garage variant.
UK/funky house = London nuum community adopts funky house music as their own.

I think Niche is much older and more developed. the London funky house sound seems really undefined and fresh, changing loads like UKG/proto-grime did in 2002...

ether

once in a while I don't delete these sets when they auto download through the rinse podcast, I flick through and think 'maybe something will stand out' but no I delete the 40th funky/uk house mix of the week and ponder who listens to this shit.

cynically Ive written this genre of as hyper emotion thats well suited as drug soundtrack rave fodder for the emotionally retarded. I'm persuaded to dig further because to be honest I slept on garage because I didn't like 90% of it and have only re-discovered its better bits recently.

enjoyed the bits on apples myspace can definatly see the soca/reggae ton influence,

Yeah would be interested to know too...are there any DJs who are known as particularly 'forward'...

This is a bit of a "girls back to the dancefloor" move so don't expect too much just yet ;)

It's not "head music"

part of the point is having a different context in which big club house tunes can be played

in terms of tunes being made, the sound is embryonic

a lot of the stuff on rinse seems to be this odd mix (to my ears) of actual deep house (kind of Kevin Yost vibe I guess), MAW, crap handbag sounding stuff a la 1995 and really interesting percussive stuff which sits somewhere between the co-op sound, soca and a hatcha set circa 2003.
Who is pushing the boat out sonically?

Supa D seems to be the genre defining DJ...and yeah he does play a fair amount of stuff that could have slotted into a mid 90s Judge Jules set or somethin...

but who knows about TADOW?

big producer!

Geeneus i strying to call brand this stuff as

Funky

not Funky HOUSE or any other type of house just

Funky :eek:

thinking of it kinda makes me feel a bit ill but yeah...the mutating parts will spawn a few good bits amongst the waste

what I'm finding funny is that no-one seems to know what soca is esp. when 'sweet mother' is said to be 'soca influenced' :slanted:

Last edited: