mms

sometimes
alot of funky house is that nasty wine bar generic house stuff, that's totally true.
the good stuff ive heard lately has been played by this guy
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=72157154

on xtreme fm - kind of takes in aspects of dancehall, garage, dub and grime, quite like some of it, it's cheesy as fuck in places but it's got that heads down slightly para, cold feeling split with warmer euphoric music which seems to be one of the traits of uk house ever since bleep and bass in sheffield etc..

bassnation

the abyss
in terms of tunes being made, the sound is embryonic

this is hilarious. i regularly dip into the rinse funky sets and man, that sound is old. its so old i find it ludicrous that people are repping it to be something new - woah, some soca rhythms, its a new genre. its just deep funky house and not even as acomplished as stuff thats been coming out the states for over twenty years.

of course theres nothing wrong with it as a genre and nothing wrong with women returning to the dancefloor either.

mms

sometimes
this is hilarious. i regularly dip into the rinse funky sets and man, that sound is old. its so old i find it ludicrous that people are repping it to be something new - woah, some soca rhythms, its a new genre. its just deep funky house and not even as acomplished as stuff thats been coming out the states for over twenty years.

of course theres nothing wrong with it as a genre and nothing wrong with women returning to the dancefloor either.

thats true, i think it's taking in some dubstep and grime elements now tho, which is good, the smooth and funky stuff was always a bit boring, i'd kinda like it a bit filthier and more chicagoish rather than just ' good life world housey'

elgato

I just dont know
alot of funky house is that nasty wine bar generic house stuff, that's totally true.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=72157154

on xtreme fm - kind of takes in aspects of dancehall, garage, dub and grime, quite like some of it, it's cheesy as fuck in places but it's got that heads down slightly para, cold feeling split with warmer euphoric music which seems to be one of the traits of uk house ever since bleep and bass in sheffield etc..

wicked that sounds exactly what im looking for, thanks, looking forward to checking him

it IS fresh

this is hilarious. i regularly dip into the rinse funky sets and man, that sound is old. its so old i find it ludicrous that people are repping it to be something new - woah, some soca rhythms, its a new genre. its just deep funky house and not even as acomplished as stuff thats been coming out the states for over twenty yearsQUOTE]

to those who previously were like 'nah that music's gay' (I know ppl who've said this and now rave like the best of them to it)

it's still funny true...all part of the cycle though

*rubs chin*

Blackdown

nexKeysound
thats true, i think it's taking in some dubstep and grime elements now tho, which is good, the smooth and funky stuff was always a bit boring, i'd kinda like it a bit filthier and more chicagoish rather than just ' good life world housey'

geeneus' has told me he's written house tunes with grime sounds which sound pretty interesting. also with this audience it's inevitable the music will get rawer...

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man

The Afrobeat stuff has been about for a while now,but there is also stuff with the influence of Grime finding it's way in now.A sort of an 'Eski House' sound is emerging.Girl friendly and funky dance music with a hard edge to it.

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

this is hilarious. i regularly dip into the rinse funky sets and man, that sound is old.

To clarify- i meant that most sets i've heard are largely composed of tunes from outside the london scene. the audience for the music is only just getting involved in producing, and a few of the things i've heard sound pretty distinctive. we all know the house blueprint has ALREADY been taken in a lot of directions, and all i'm saying is i've heard some tunes i like. however at the start of uk garage it was a not dissimilar situation

DJ PIMP

drug soundtrack rave fodder for the emotionally retarded.
That is soooo what I'm into.... but I'm thinking more of stuff like the absurdly hot Electrixx mix of Acid Jacks 'Disco Shoes'.

You ran away to join a travelling freakshow
Start a riot, and end up at a rave
I got my pills and I'm ready to go
A disco dancer or a party slave
So if you got the mood, and you got the moves
and you can pop your body, you can grab a hotty
Use heavy metal for a discoball
Trade your beauty sleep for a dancefloor

WOO! YEAH!

http://www.zshare.net/audio/4744688b97bc77/

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
The Afrobeat stuff has been about for a while now,but there is also stuff with the influence of Grime finding it's way in now.A sort of an 'Eski House' sound is emerging.Girl friendly and funky dance music with a hard edge to it.

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

yep the afrobeat stuff can be really horrible, this guy manages to hold it down in some of his mixes by blending in some grimier, bassier more dubbed up and more heavily built stuff. on that ipod mix you still hear the afrobeat stuff and the old nyc masters at work business from the 90's tho.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
yep the afrobeat stuff can be really horrible, this guy manages to hold it down in some of his mixes by blending in some grimier, bassier more dubbed up and more heavily built stuff. on that ipod mix you still hear the afrobeat stuff and the old nyc masters at work business from the 90's tho.

At the moment these sets are a mix of styles:Afro/Tech/Deep and so on.It's more of an attitude than a sound as such.More productions from within the scene itself need to come through before you can really put a handle on what the sound really is.

nomos

Administrator
@ Martin - Yeah grime is definitely the reaction point, but I guess I meant that Dubstep isn't offering an alternative either when it comes to danceability and feminine pressure (i.e. fun).

In general I just mean that the argument up to know, that Funky House is the death knell of UK dance music creativity, is obviously premature. Garage became interesting and a 'London ting' when it pulled in bits of jungle, even as it was setting itself up in opposition. So it seems inevitable that this generic variety of House that's showing flashes of creativity will pull in elements of grime and dubstep to such a degree that people disaffected with those scenes will start to give it some attention and maybe try their hands at some tunes.

Anyway, I'm not there, obviously, but I don't want to write it off as boring and derivative when it has the same potential as any previous development (e.g. garage) to turn into something new and different.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Anyway, I'm not there, obviously, but I don't want to write it off as boring and derivative when it has the same potential as any previous development (e.g. garage) to turn into something new and different.

I swear none of the other strands of the continuum ever developed from something this dull though.. in fact isn't the way this stuff has developed as a reaction against grime the exact opposite of how the most interesting parts of the continuum started? didn't hardcore and jungle, and dark garage and dubstep develop in response to the lack of alternatives to this sort of blandness..

why shy away from calling something what it is because of what it might be later

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
you hope, otherwise thats the nuum theory comprehensively fucked. ;)
VI Lenin said:
We would be committing a great mistake if we attempted to force the complex, urgent, rapidly developing practical tasks of the revolution into the Procrustean bed of narrowly conceived 'theory'

sounds like you lot are really forcing this just because you want the nuum theory to carry on working, which is a terrible reason to do anything. you can't read history forwards.

and all this talk about how 'this audience' will shape the sound... 'this audience' went nuts to 'night' and 'match of the day riddim' at the rinse night at cargo, while they served the funky house a big steaming plate of air croissants. no-one was dancing!

until geeneus is actually *releasing* grime-inflected house, rather than just talking about doing so, i'm not that interested. like ben says, why shy away from calling something what it is because of what it might be later?

nomos

Administrator
you may be right, ben. as i say, i'm not there to see it first hand.

re: the ardkore continuum - i think the only way the nuum theory works at all is if you take into account numerous other 'nuums' criss-crossing and constantly infecting each other, not to mention the various routes that hardcore took itself. you end up with more of a rhizome then. on it's own it's too linear and specific, hides too much. it's massively overused. in last year's burial thread i was arguing that if you followed a thread defined by feminine pressure rather than 'what all the boys are into right now,' you'd come up with a radically different looking 'nuum.' i see the point of the term as useful shorthand but i think it makes less sense with each year.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
OTM

btw, where is my prize for quoting lenin in a funky house thread? i do get a prize, right? right? ;)

yeah i did mean to congratulate you on that :D

'procrustie' has a nice ring to it. e.g. "the rave was good until that procrustie pedant got on the decks"

Last edited: