Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Rinse FM right now = Roska + DJ Naughty + Hard House Banton and others Xmas Funky Special.

Jager_e26820_1308690.jpg

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's a bit depressing hearing them talking about funky as a historical thing - ''what was your favourite memory of funky?" - which it is now, of course. I suppose funky is now near-enough completely dead as a scene. Its influence has probably been huge, though, on rhythms and even arguably in helping to popularise house due to its intersecting with dubstep/post-dubstep (edit: and of course house being the thing the ex-funky producers/heads have gravitated towards).

Last edited:
Yeah it's a bit sad that it's already considered a thing far in the past when it seems like it was not long ago that it was even starting to be a thing. Just seen on Naughty's facebook that in a couple of weeks it will be 7 years since he released 'Quicktime'. Time really does fly.

dert

did you see the link to this at the end of the comments thread? Strangely brilliant.

sorry, do you remember what Clouded Judgment track this was a link to? youtube account has been deleted and i'm not entirely in the mood to sit through more "soulful house" than i have to to find a possible gem. would appreciate it greatly but i understand this was a while ago!

denoir

^^ was just listening to this earlier...what's the "peep show" vocal tune around 19 min? anyone? Hope I'll get to play at least one funky club set this summer....missing the sound too much

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Rinse have posted up the live sets from the fwd funky special. Just listening to the Brackles set. Sounds mad in there, gutted I couldn't reach. Forgot what a tune Bad Girl is... So glad that Deep Tech has filled the void, still sad that funky didn't stay active cos you can hear the evolution in Champion and Funkystepz etc from the original sound (I mean obv this happened over about two/three years). Fuck it, anyway, these tunes are still ferocious.

denoir

Shame they didnt invite Champion, Funkystepz or Ill Blu to represent the transition funky-bass sound in the debate, it was just purely about pre-skank funky scene. Refreshed my love for Marcus' quirkiness :D

Quality sets from Brackles and Supa D...thought the Funky Top 40 worked out nicely as well.
https://soundcloud.com/rinsefm/rinse-fm-podcast-funky-top-40-w-dappa-ma1-21st-september-2014

BTW Rinse were broadcasting some recordings from funky raves back in the day on Saturday, hope they get published on soundcloud as well.

What is the quintessential DJ Gregory track. Or even anything above average. I'm not getting why people name check him over a dozen other producers

trilliam

cause they dont know any other producers to namecheck when it comes to (?)

if i remember correctly he had a sick house masters cd..

i always liked canoa, obvs everyone talks attend 1, elle is very nice as well, the 5 minute version on youtube

theyre pretty bait though

Last edited: