design question

N

nomadologist

yeah i read a good piece on "bio-design" a few years back in one a them art mags. main point was where the machine age of modernist design was about fitting humans into a geometric ideologically driven formal environment, bio-design (which as far as can tell came onto the scene in the 90s - with the blue and white macs and... those sneakers. yeah you know which ones Im talkin about) is all about fitting the machine to our bodies. and that it is driven by no obvious political ideology other than consumerism itself.

Or as Marshall McLuhan put it way back when "machines are an extension of man"...

mms

sometimes
angular shit like this look PIIIIMP tho

top2.jpg

i think that's my favorite hip hop sleeve, just so right.
yeah those american cars like that are just so sexy, so luxury.
The thing that makes that car so good is it's a giant piece of jewelry, specifically, ebony, silver and a dash of gold, very subtle and very tasteful.

angles and curves, they have their places in different things, and are good for different reasons when you can't see them work properly things start to look bland.
I think good design makes a real point of the use of simple shapes, thats what i get a buzz out of.
I like utilitarian kind of design as well so too much excessive curving etc puts me off, alot of computer moulding stuff always seems to look quite blobby.

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

curves vs lines is one of those cyclical things...

art nouveau, futurism, cubism, modernism, international style, hippy, 80s money, 90s organic. the yin/yang tension between nature and society given form.

fave car design the past while has come from RR, nice marriage of grotesque/beauty, angles and curves. looks completely money...

home.jpg

the leaning oversized flat grill, emphasised by disproportionately small headlights. small eyes and a big hungry mouth. great stuff.

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

all that overly organic stuff (the zaha hadid car above) reminds me of 50s/60s kitsch... a throwback from a future past that never arrived.

swears

preppy-kei
You know, if I actually had any cash, I think I'd buy some mint-condition Bimma or Merc from the 80s, proper shoebox-style.

m77

m77
Jonathan Ive and the original iMac design

i remember one of the funny points in that article was for all its talk of "geared toward the end user and designed with nothing but experience in mind", you couldn't put, say, a stack of paper on top of this thing:
g3_400.jpg

From the wikipedia entry:
"The translucency and colors in this style were inspired by gumdrop candies. In fact, Ive reportedly visited confectionery companies for advice on replicating a gumdrop's visual effect, and his team developed novel techniques in order to build it. The candy color on the first iMac model is called "Bondi blue", evoking the color of the sea at beaches such as Sydney's Bondi Beach."

Sounds a lot like the visual effect of a 'computer', something perceived differently by consumers 10 years ago, was more important than the functionality and user experience.