field recordings - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

nochexxx

harco pronting
so chris watson finally gets the vinyl treatment. i've been praying for this after many moons!.:cool:

i'm finding it difficult to bother listening to strictly human generated microsound, is there anyone else out there that should be checked out within the natural recording world?

so chris watson finally gets the vinyl treatment. i've been praying for this after many moons!.:cool:

nice, i didn't know that, though it has to be said- i'm not a cd buyer, but if anything belongs on cd, it's probably this kind of thing.

Toshiya Tsunoda has done some really interesting work, very exacting stuff- recordings of acoustic feedback, water, pipes, fences etc- the overall sound being much more like minimal electronics than anything else.

tate

Brown Sugar
i'm finding it difficult to bother listening to strictly human generated microsound, is there anyone else out there that should be checked out within the natural recording world?
There are a lot of folks in this area worth listening to. Tsunoda for sure, as was mentioned, but also Philip Samartzis, Olivia Block, Bernhard Gal, Roel Meelkop, Lionel Marchetti, Seth Nehil, jgrzinich, and John Hudak - all of whom are well-established heavyweights. There are literally hundreds of others, too. Though as my list of names here pretty baldy indicates, my own preference at the moment is for the space where processed field recordings blur together with musique concrete and methods of good-old-fashioned composition -- there is a lot of staggering work going on in the interstices of those three categories these days.

I chuckled with pleasant surprise when I read the thread title, very nice to have a 'breaking news' thread on the subject ... the thing I'd first say about artists working with field recordings is that you are talking about an enormous domain. The phonography site linked by vitesse is only a scratch on the surface. The use of field-recorded-material has become just one of many creative techniques now in the arsenal of myriad composers, experimentalists, sound artists, noise dudes, drone types, and improvisers. Everyone from drone/noise Birchville Cat Motel types to the high art-y museum installation ilk now incorporate processed field recordings into their work. In the weird folk underground the use of field recordings is up there with bowed guitars, short wave radios, and no-input mixers as merely one standard but ubiquitous tool in the palette.

zhao

there are no accidents
was listening to one of the new Watson vinyls, the one of water sounds -- exquisite as ever, but the hiss of the vinyl on a recording like this is much more apparent than, say, a bassline recording because of its focus on detail. thus i'm not sure if vinyl is good for field recordings actually... maybe the air-tight rigid sound world of the compact disc is better suited.

rob_giri

there should be grime field recordings...

Burial dude, its like musique concrete grime, amazing!

Wow and Tate's summary really helped me to let go of the idea that i was doing some really innovative with all this stuff, but in my opinion the best music around for my personal experience of this world, so i will continue my career with it as a means of expression..

Boom

aMinadaB

Wow and Tate's summary really helped me to let go of the idea that i was doing some really innovative with all this stuff, but in my opinion the best music around for my personal experience of this world, so i will continue my career with it as a means of expression..
It's quite difficult to be innovative with tools alone anymore, the onus seems now to be on ideas (compositional, technical, musical, improvisational, take your pick) and the way that you use the tools (though of course new tools will continue to appear, and may well become foregrounded again). Which isn't such a bad thing, in my opinion. Experimentalists in the classical domain have known this for decades.

This situation also makes the pop music blogger-critic's ubiquitous gaze and tendency to summarize entire trends become more and more difficult, in some cases obsolete. Again, not such a terrible thing. Diverse realms of expertise, communities of discussants and creators, complex and in some cases hermetic realms of aesthetic ideas, and numerous niches are emerging, and will only proliferate in coming decades. An astute and agile ability to stay abreast and interpret the sprawling multiplicities will be the critical burden, not cheap summaries.

It's quite encouraging, imho, all of what I am suggesting, though I'm no partner to the camp saying 'nothing new is happening, music history is over, innovation is dead,' etc, because I think that this view is shallow, incredibly misinformed, and naive. Just look at Graham Lambkin, Jason Lescalleet, and the stunning Boston music community (Bhob Rainey and friends) for a wealth of ideas, performances, and recordings.

zhao

there are no accidents
not sure if this really belongs in this thread but, i just recently got a hold of an interesting (and potentially problematic) audio documentary, where this i guess artist or something guy goes to remote parts of Africa, and plays Avant garde 20th century music like Xenakis and Stockhousen for people presumably living in villages with little or zero contact with the world at large, and gets their impressions/opinions of the sounds.

i have yet to listen to it but thought it deserved a mention on this board... can't fucking find it at the moment or i would include a link..

rob_giri

you serious?? thats hilarious!

everyone seen Woebots doco he made in the 90s where he and some lads took acid house to africa ? i mean that was interesting, but this is something else.. haha!

zhao

there are no accidents
listening to this now, man from Mali says, in pretty good english (most others respond in other languages), after a passage of what sounds like Meredith Monk or Barabara Whatshername type of monotone experimental vocal music: "i'm going to be clear, very clear with you. this is simple noise. this is simple noise which can bother someone. for instance some people don't like the sound of others snoring."

hahaha...

info:

Label : Errantbodies / Ground Fault
Author : Alessandro Bosetti
Title : "African Feedback"
Format : 64 pages book with Compact Disc
ISBN: 978-0-9772594-5-8
Release date : November 2007

Through a process of listening and speaking, African Feedback documents an exchange between artist Alessandro Bosetti and residents of villages throughout West Africa. Playing music by various experimental and avant-garde composers to people met in villages, Bosetti records their responses, asking them what they are hearing, and how they relate to the music and sounds. Composing their responses, with field recordings made throughout his travels, African Feedback is a musical portrait of cultural translations, misunderstandings, different voices and languages. Including an audio CD and the transcriptions of the listening sessions, along with an introduction by the artist, African Feedback is a beautiful and beguiling work cutting across the ongoing questions of cultural difference.

Fragmented notes and diary pages on the making of "African Feedback" in 2004.

I spent a month in Mali and Burkina Faso asking villagers to listen to experimental music. The moment they put on the headphones I pressed ìPlayî on the CD and started recording with the DAT; everything that was said, all the stories, questions, silences, and breaths were recorded. I collected all the feedbacks, around twenty-two hours, almost an entire day. The operationís objective: to gather material for a, electro-acoustic composition. Hidden objective: to throw up for discussion itÖthemÖ theÖ

Once I returned to Europe, the first question that occurred to me with regard to this experience was: What were these feedbacks, how did they react? Itís hard to answer. For each person there was a different story. From an anthropological point of view, nothing was established. A silent scene.

After a few weeks of listening and re-listening to the tapes it struck me, however, that there was something common to all the reactions. A lack. There was a lack of surprise. Africans are surprised by nothing. There might be negative surprise, expressed as ìThis thing is surprising but absurd, it doesnít work,î or positive, like ìThis is surprising, strange, it interests me, I want to know more about it.î But no, nobody wanted to know anything else but at the same time, nobody dismissed it. It was as though they were thinking, ìThis person comes all the way here to do this work, to make us listen to this thing we donít understand there must be some reason for all this, a practical, solid, concrete reason. If this sort of thing exists then weíll try to understand what place it has in the universe.î They took part in the game without any particular enthusiasm, totally the arguments point blank without asking for any explanation. (Nobody, I repeat, nobody asked me why I was doing it! To the point that I started asking it of myself). They accept what seems to them to be ìthe reality of things.î

For an African, listening in headphones is practically the most unnatural thing possible. Traditional music is always bound to dance, to a collective experience and to the place. Headphones contradict all of this. Maybe this is why the image of elderly Africans with headphones on their ears always seemed curious and fascinating to me? Ibe forgot he was wearing headphones. He thought we could all hear what he was hearing. The condition is that sound should be socialized. The moment that Ibe accepted that he was alone in the listening, the music could stop being music and could become something else that could perhaps alarm him.

Composing the piece ìAfrican Feedbackî was like creating a mask for myself; the piece is itself a mask to be donned for the performance in order to re-negotiate a musical identity.

The misunderstanding came from the word ëmusicí: if it concerns music there couldnít be a difference between the music I was proposing and Dogon music. Once it was verified that it concerned ëmusicí it wasnít possible that I could be bringing something new and unknown because music existed in Dogon well before the arrival of Alessandro Bosetti (and would continue to exist after his departure as well). Naturally there were considering without being aware of the bigger issue or even the nature of the sounds they heard, which were very different from traditional Dogon music. But this didnít appear to concern them ... These kinds of misunderstandings were common, ìthe nature of thingsî is also that and is reflected through the immense innate power of giving different things the same name. If two things are called by the same name they are necessarily the same thing, even if seen from very different perspectives.

Akonio Dolo, a Dogon living in Paris, listened to the tapings and said to me: ìYou go too quickly, they didnít understand what you wanted from them, you canít ask such direct questions immediately, they need time to know you.î

But rather, for me the initial reaction is the one that counts, without preparation, without mediation. Iím not an anthropologist but a musician, whoís adopting ìrelationalî strategies to construct his music. Iím interested in the misunderstandings, the embarrassments, the stumblings, and the mistakes in communication that reveal something more real with respect to how not to make a ìliteral translation.î

They didnít understand what I wanted. But what actually did I want? Solo, my guide, often asked me, ìBut what reactions do you want?î I didnít know. I had no thesis to prove. ìAny reaction is good for me,î I said ìEven none, that also works.î

A friend listened to the tapes and said to me: ìBut donít you see that they donít understand anything. They donít know what you want.î

Why? Is there something to understand?

Sangha, Dogon country. The Club Med of anthropology? Often one had the sensation that while you were getting out the tape recorder your interlocutor knew better than you how things would unfold. If you do not have a specific desire for them to please, it can be quite problematic for the Sangha. Your interlocutor always tells you what he thinks you want to hear. In general, this is something that has to do with the Griault cosmology. Surprises are become fewer and farther between and everything becomes managed and negotiated within the perspective of an exchange. Months later, I said clearly what I thought to Akonio Dolo, while in Paris discussing the project. At first he was offended. I reiterated that most often in the end it came down to always talking about money, we always finished up with a clear reciprocal interest. ìItís logical,î he responded. But what was I searching for in Sangha? Even now I havenít received a convincing answer.
One of the projectís hidden discoveries was that of putting back into play ìin reverse motionî the exchange proposed by the Dogon to Marcel Griault (or, rather, by Marcel Griault to the Dogon ñ France was the occupying power -). So, they told him the cosmogony, vocally by an old blind Ogotemmeli hunter, in exchange for a ìpriceî deemed equal on both parts. This was in great demand by white ethnology so that afterwards he made his fortune at home and, at the same time, offered the Dogon in exchange; profitable future ties with the Occident, with France in particular. From that moment on, a flood of ethnologists, tourists, unidentifiable researchers, such as myself, etc. would arrive at the cliffs bringing a semblance of well-being ñ but only for a few, in this very poor region, one of the poorest in the world.
I also said that my work as a composer and sound artist had an ìanthropologicalî character but not being myself in any way an anthropologist I would have to perhaps choose a sustainable way to maintain and develop this character. The only way that came to my mind later was that of putting into play, ironically, a ìparody of an anthropological expedition,î representing the adventures of Marcel Griault and Ogotemmeli in the land of Dogon.
What would happen if, seventy years later, it would be me to offer my personal and subjective musical cosmogony, without any vague commercial or pedagogical desire, simply placing a CD player on the table, putting it at everybodyís disposal and seeing if would interest anybody?
Certainly comparing the cosmogony of a nation to a subjective one, put together in a few years by a young musician might appear arrogant if you donít consider the fact that itís a game, a ritual of revelation and irony.

The devil. When the Dogon say ìthe devilî they mean twisters made by the wind or even the empty eye at the whirlwindís center. An area of emptiness where itís best not to enter. They mean absence. Empty space. Or somewhere else. Often itís the silence in the music. Something thatís missing.

One day I went with Solo for a walk on the cliffs. ìDid you bring the camera?î he asked. ìNo,î I replied. ìIf you didnít bring the camera, itís not worth going. Letís not go.î ìBut Iím taking my eyes!î ìItís not the same thing, itís not worth it, weíre not going without the camera.î The Dogon ask for payment for every photograph taken in the villages, a way of distributing the touristsí money.

zhao

there are no accidents
Itís difficult to pose the question: ìCan you sing what youíre listening to?î if ìsingî refers to the same action as a man singing a traditional song, or heís trying to imitate a Henri Chopin track. Consequently singing a traditional song with Japan noise or a Henri Chopin track playing at full volume in your ears without differentiating is, from Ouaganamonís perspective, correct. It concerns ìsingingî and therefore also imitation is a song, the traditional song equaling imitation. In the case of Ouaganamon, it was he to propose a metaphorical connection to me: the sound he was listening to reminded him of the rain, therefore if I ask him to imitate it, he begins to sing a song that ìtalks aboutî the rain. What does it mean to imitate? Imitation is always a process of distortion of information, at least when it doesnít happen in the digital domain where the dispersion of data equals zero and every copy is perfectly matches the original. But for a human being things arenít like that. To imitate insinuates filtering through ones own perspective. Itís for this reason that the ìwireless telephoneî continues to appear to me an inexhaustible font of ideas and is, for that reason, the compositional process of ìAfrican Feedback,î which is based on a cycle of imitation, repetition, superimposition, inversion, and stratification. Just as Ibe obliterated the difference between socialized listening and individual listening, with Ouaganamon I had the nasty feeling that he wasnít feeling anything. Despite the fact that the sound, as sound waves, was surely reaching him, striking his eardrums with a certain violence even (the volume was high), I found myself thinking that he wasnít perceiving anything. In the same way that our ears filter sound elements that we instinctively judge as extraneous to concentrating on the ìmessageî ñ the crackling of the radio, the scratching sound of dust on an old LP ñ I had the sensation that all the sounds coming from the headphones was being blocked out entirely. It was not understandable, recognizable or able to be decodified by any cultural code and thus stopped existing and disappeared.

...je ne suis plus homme, je suis Ítre imaginaire. L'Ítre du diable, c'est de n'etre pas. S'il existait, ce ne serait qu'un pauvre diable. Ce qui rend un homme diabolique, c'est le fait qu'il ai perdu son ‚me. On guette, on sent venir l'evenement tragique mais il n'est jamais present ...
I am no longer a man, I am an imaginary being.. The being of the devil, that is, not being. If he existed, he would only be a poor devil. That which renders man diabolical is the fact that he has lost his soul. We watch for, we feel the tragic event approaching but it never arrivesÖ
(Yambo Ouloguem - Devoir de Violence).

Up to this point still no one had asked me why I was doing this job. I started to be perturbed and decided to pose the question myself and the end of the interviews: Is it possible that nobody was surprised? That nobody wanted to know any more?

Iím making an edition of cassettes with ìAfrican Feedback.î The price will be calculated on the basis of a median income of the country where the cassette is sold. If the cassette is sold in Mali, the price will equal about 2 euros. In Germany the cassette will be sold rather for 518 euros. (The figure is obtained by bringing the median income in Mali, which is 183 euros per year and in Germany where it comes to 47,450 euros. The ratio is 1:259).
I mean to give copies for free to those that participated in the tapings, selling copies in African markets and others in Europe. The proceeds will be shared 50/50 between the participants and myself.

Given the unconditional respect for elders that is in force in the village, often the reply I got was: ìIím not the right person who can tell you anything about this music.î For this the dynamic was the same everywhere. What a pain.

I donít want to ask experts, who would be the experts concerning these questions?
In reality I could ask anybodyÖas far as Iím concerned, nobody is more qualified than anybody else to say anything about music. Music is for everybody, isnít it? Isnít the assumption, therefore, is that anybody can comment about music? This is at least what I thought at the beginning of the project.

Why go to Africa? I wanted to do the same work with my friends in Berlin and in Northern Italy. Experimental music is usually pretty incomprehensible also over here.

During the trip I never had the desire to listen to the ìpreferredî CDs that I brought along and was making the people listen to every day. And there was certainly timeÖ I was completely absorbed by African music and by the voices of my interlocutors.

During the composition, in Paris, it never happened that I wanted to insert ìAfricanî elements: jagged rhythms, dance rhythms, songs with vocal explanations. Everything came back rarified and whispered. Feedback. Way back.

And if, however, music wasnít for everybody? Every music has its context. If experimental music doesnít ìstrikeî in the West, well, thatís our problem.

During the composition of ìAfrican Feedbackî I realized I couldnít do away with long times. Just like it was long to wait for reactions on the part of my ìinformersî while they were listening and I was taping. Sometimes they wouldnít say anything at all for minutes, I felt the weight of the microphone, it hurt to hold my arm up. Often in Africa nothing happens. You wait.

The recounting is always based on a difference. They tell you about something that you donít know. Or perhaps the exact contrary is true: They are only capable of telling you what you already know?

... One month is very little. In one month in Africa I didnít understand anything. Perhaps I understood something afterwards? While I was there all I did was work. I didnít ask myself many questions, I simply followed to the letter the work that was given to me: Have them listen to experimental music and record their reactions.

Common places: music is a universal language.

The experimental music scene in the West. The so-called ìavant-garde.î Is it seen it as the ìcultural minorityî rather than as the ìdiamond pointî of civilization? ìCertainlyî many would respond. Continuing to think the contrary.

To make computer music you need electricity.

During the compositional process in Paris, Africa took back on a spectral character. It briefly did not exist. Either Africa didnít exist or itís experimental music that doesnít exist. Anyway something was missing. The question of absence appeared central. The Western aesthetic paradigm is based on judgment, on the fact that something is ìbeautifulî or ìuglyî (a recycling of the categories of good and evil); the existence of the object is never up for discussion. Here the anteís been upped. Judgment is not being exercised: if the object cannot be recognized for having simply disappeared.
After two weeks spent on the composition, something strange happened. The voices completely disappeared from the piece. Was it me, who in the fury of listening could no longer hear them? Or was it the piece that went off on a tangent and no longer had anything to do with the trip, with Africa, with the feedbacks, etc., but only with ìmy musicî?
OK, at this point the problem of the ìspecterî is resolved. Africa exists; itís a real but distant place. My music also exists. The distance is made tangible.