CD mixer help

tom pr

So I've been DJing for a few months, using the CD decks at the radio station on my campus when they're free and practising mixes on probably the most basic format you could imagine someone with a laptop using (Windows Media Player open on the left half of the screen and Audacity on the right). I have two turntables (one is USB which is why I'm going with a CD mixer - it's dead easy for me to record from vinyl to CD) but never got around to getting a mixing board to connect them, so essentially I know nothing about anything and this being the first purchase of this kind I'm gonna make, I want to make it a good one. What would you lot recommend; what should I look out for, any particular places I should look in, etc...

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
not sure i understand what you need what with the computer and audacity (don't even know what that is) and USB's... if it's a simple 4 channel dj mixer you're after almost any one of them will do, some better quality and/or with more functions than others obviously. i used a cheapo Gemini mixer for CD turntables and other sources for years before it started humming a bit...

reeltoreel

Zhao's right, just about anything will do - just work out what your budget is and go from there. Bigger brands tend to be better built and easier to fix with readily available spare parts. Bells and whistles (like effects, samplers etc.) can be nice but they're a distraction when you're learning, I reckon. Kill switches are good and an effects loop means you can fool around with guitar pedals and stuff if you're keen on that kind of thing...

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I recommend the Numark DXM09. That's what I have.
It's relatively cheap compared to what you can pay for mixes, though it isn't going to be as cheap as a two-channel, one-cross fader type thing.

For what you pay it's a pretty good deal: 3 channels, kill switches, three EQs per channel, and a small effects unit with shit like echo, flanger, phaser, shit like that. It's also got one of those mixing slope knob things so you can make it really short if you like cuts and scratching, or really long if you like big long gradual mixes.

It's basically the perfect mixer to get a feel for what sort of thing you like doing as a DJ before you splurge on something more tailored to what you like.

http://www.numark.com/dxm09