is there a last.fm for books?

Alfons

Way of the future
I find it much harder to find new writers and books that I will like than finding new stuff within other media or art (music, magazines, tv, blogs, movies list goes on). Obviously books are more demanding than a lot of the other things mentioned, you can't just check them out quickly and so on.

Im not really versed in literature genres or styles, and I couldn't tell what kind of books I really like, just good ones. On top of that I find that people talk about books in other terms than music and movies and it's harder to get good, honest and non pretensious recommendations with no pseudo intellectualism attached. Makes it hard to find new (and old) authors and books

There should be some clever web 2.0 / social network page for this, recommendations based on you entering favourites, user comments/reviews of authors and books. I know amazon does this based on your purchases but Im thinking something more based on user input, tag clouds, social network etc...

ripley

there's librarything.com

once you enter in your books it shows you some info - who's got similar books (and what else they have), tag clouds, "people who have this also have" suggestions, etc..

it's free!