was i wrong about Vimothy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackerjack

Around here? I would say it's about 50-50 with the academics on one side and the "commonsense-ists" (including Mr. Tea, Vimothy, IdleRich, you) on the other side.

But Vimothy isn't a "commonsense-ist" (pragmatist is a better term, I think) by any stretch. He's a right-wing libertarian ideologue who has swallowed whole the neo-con clash-of-civilisatiions agenda. Lumping him in with me (even more so Idlerich, who I'm guessing is a few notches to my left) is just nuts.

N

nomadologist

You and IdleRich both seemed to spend ample time and post-space sticking up for Vimothy and actually disagreeing about the fact that racism is almost always disavowed and institutional.

If you and IdleRich are "leftists" in your own minds, HMLT is just that much more correct about the current state of what is called "leftism." Sorely underread, anti-intellectual middle-of-the-road "fair-n-balanced" Rupert Murdoch-sanctioned bullshit.

crackerjack

You and IdleRich both seemed to spend ample time and post-space sticking up for Vimothy and actually disagreeing about the fact that racism is almost always disavowed and institutional.

If you and IdleRich are "leftists" in your own minds, HMLT is just that much more correct about the current state of what is called "leftism." Sorely underread, anti-intellectual middle-of-the-road "fair-n-balanced" Rupert Murdoch-sanctioned bullshit.

Sigh. Such a terrible waste of a brilliant mind.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Vimothy didn't exactly pop up here in the spirit of open debate and dialogue... He was as prone to write off arguments with "Pffft" and a snide waving of hands as anyone else. He wasn't contrarian -- he was evangelical. He was trying to save our souls.

N

nomadologist

Haha, someone just called me a structuralist. The hilarity ensues.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Zhao apologized already, maybe we can let this thread die. Personal vendettas can continue in the private realm.

N

nomadologist

Yeah, we're certainly not going to get any working, psychoanalytically aware definition of "racism" from anyone here anytime soon, so it's really a waste of eye-strain.

john eden

male pale and stale
It also seems a bit weird discussing Vimothy at such great length in his absence, so I am locking the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.