Your last day

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It means to be sickly then it that case...

The challenge was just that, a challenge a friend of mine set. I wouldn't have chosen Gregg's doughnuts if I had been paying I would definitely hasten to add.

What was the, ahem, upshot of the challenge? Was it by any chance reminiscent of the Exorcist?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
What was the, ahem, upshot of the challenge? Was it by any chance reminiscent of the Exorcist?

No I managed to keep 'em down, though the poor quality chocolate flavoured covering meant I felt like I had a fever for the rest of the afternoon...

N

nomadologist

Second that, total smothering of the senses. I would emotionally blackmail friends into joining me and give crack a go. Better yet act on my violent urges in the high street and see just how badly I get beaten up, using speedballs for anaesthetic. Can you tell I'm single?

Crack on your last day? I'm going to advise against that. 55 valiums? Ok. Haldol? That will work. Whippets even? maybe.

But I don't think you would want to do crack while you waited to die.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
100 cups of coffee. I know after 20 you start hallucinating and have a 6 hour comedown of terrifying paranoia to deal with.

N

nomadologist

100 cups of coffee. I know after 20 you start hallucinating and have a 6 hour comedown of terrifying paranoia to deal with.

Yes, if you like a good horrorshow, you could smoke some crack, take a couple of bottles of No-doz, a few "triple stacks" of e, AMT, and maybe smoke some salvia for good measure.

If the panic attacks didn't kill you first, you'd probably have no idea you were about to die after an hour or two.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yes, if you like a good horrorshow, you could smoke some crack, take a couple of bottles of No-doz, a few "triple stacks" of e, AMT, and maybe smoke some salvia for good measure.

If the panic attacks didn't kill you first, you'd probably have no idea you were about to die after an hour or two.

?

N

nomadologist

Over-the-counter caffeine tablets. They're pretty archaic now, what with all of the insane energy drinks we have on the market with almost as much caffeine/taurine/etc.

I have never had worse caffeine-induced trauma from anything but No-Doz.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Im currently averaging ten cups of double-strength instant coffee per day in a vainglorious attempt to retain consciousness whilst frenziedly writing end of term papers. Its working in so far as words magically appear but I've already become strictly nocturnal. I suspect strong speed of some form would be better but I can't risk the crash at this midway point (or the sensation of being overly aware of blood moving through my veins)
I never found energy drinks worked at all.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Crack on your last day? I'm going to advise against that. 55 valiums? Ok. Haldol? That will work. Whippets even? maybe.

But I don't think you would want to do crack while you waited to die.

crack with e and codeine I think might temper the edge slightly :)

If I knew months beforehand that I was gonna die, I'd write to Michael Jackson and Desmond Tutu and ask to meet them, but I'm presuming it's kinda like you wake up and God appears and tells you you're gonna die on the day or something. And even if God did appear and tell me I was gonna die, I think I'd push my luck and ignore the tip-off.

N

nomadologist

haha why am i not surprised that most people frame their last day in terms of substance injestion? michael jackson showing up does beat crack either way!

the weird part about paper writing is that i finally noticed that my papers written on speed or uppers were never *better* than others. speed just gave me enough time so i could put off writing them to a degree of "last-minuteness" that was absolutely ridiculous. i also noticed that caffeine/speed/stimulant-influenced papers had horrible grammar and punctuation. sometimes i'd really wonder why i'd get, on average, better grades on them than normal ones.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i also noticed that caffeine/speed/stimulant-influenced papers had horrible grammar and punctuation. sometimes i'd really wonder why i'd get, on average, better grades on them than normal ones.

Your tutors were big Kerouac fans?

N

nomadologist

kerouac sucks. if you're going to write ungrammatical drug-induced rants you'd probably rather be compared to hunter s. thompson.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Haha, I tried to read OTR a few years ago, got about 50 pages in and gave up.

My girlfriend recently borrowed my copy and has more perseverance than me: she decided there was no point giving up after getting halfway through, but I think she's regretting her decision.

N

nomadologist

the only worse documents of the aesthetic of repulsive misogynistic american alcoholism are the ones bukowski shat out

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Now that's a different matter, I thought Factotum was quite good fun. In a horrid, pitiable sort of way.

Last edited:
the only worse documents of the aesthetic of repulsive misogynistic american alcoholism are the ones bukowski shat out

However Bukowski was a fine writer with style and economy, regardless of whether you identify with the content of his work, which cannot be said for Kerouac- whom Bukowski neither respected nor wished to be associated with. Bukowski wrote some sharp, eloquent poetry.

And personally i would say there's value in the substance of his work whether you find it "repulsive" or not. Also he was pretty much entirely responsible for saving John Fante from total obscurity, which is worthwhile in itself. Though perhaps you'll just dismiss Fante out of hand as another drunk and misogynist :slanted:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Norman Mailer is another one I'd have up against the wall come the revolution. Oh damn, he died already. Shame.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Sounds like an idea for a thread - Dead people you wish you could bring back to life just so you can kill them.

Can I nominate Thatcher for the follow-up thread on people who aren't yet dead but who you are waiting until they die so then you can wish that you could bring back from the dead just so you can kill them? Oh and Bono please of course... K thnks bye...