HTML banned?!?!

N

nomadologist

I can't believe a place that is ostensibly populated by adults needs to "ban" anybody that isn't outright spamming. I don't like what Vimothy says, and I've been rude to Vimothy, but I would never, ever, never want him to be banned.

That seems like the ultimate in childishness and immaturity, to me.

If what someone says is so ridiculous, then it reflects poorly on them. Just ignore it? There is an "ignore" function that I've used for a while when I really didn't want to read someone's posts for a while.

ripley

I can't believe a place that is ostensibly populated by adults needs to "ban" anybody that isn't outright spamming. I don't like what Vimothy says, and I've been rude to Vimothy, but I would never, ever, never want him to be banned.

That seems like the ultimate in childishness and immaturity, to me.

why don't you find a forum that doesn't ban and go there then?

vimothy

yurp
Time to go and look up the word "fascism". Contra to the selection of rightwing nutsacks you voraciously consume Vim it does not simply= "someone with whom I strongly disagree."

Here is Wikipedia's attempt:

"Fascism is an authoritarian political ideology (generally tied to a mass movement) that considers individual and social interests subordinate to the interests of the state or party. Fascists seek to forge a type of national unity, usually based on (but not limited to) ethnic, cultural, racial, religious attributes. The key attribute is intolerance of others: other religions, languages, political views, economic systems, cultural practices, etc. Various scholars attribute different characteristics to fascism, but the following elements are usually seen as its integral parts: nationalism, statism, militarism, totalitarianism, anti-communism, corporatism, populism, collectivism, and opposition to political and economic liberalism."

Hence merely being anti-economic liberalism =/ fascist. A pro-eschatological outlook is not reducible to Fascism.

I believe the correct technical term for this is Exactly you fucking idiot now stop calling me a racist every time you want to advance your little cause.

vimothy

yurp
Don't worry Vimothy it's between-the-lines enough for you to never get in any trouble.

Don't worry, your crypto-fascism is between-the-lines enough for you to remain self-deluded, even though you tick plenty of boxes in even Wikipedia's definition of the term. Keep wrestling straw men, dreaming those millenarian dreams of mass-murder and the revaluation of all values in accordance with your own semi-coherent agenda...

Etc, etc... :slanted:

vimothy

yurp
Absolutely otm, vimothy, 'specially re the lack of coherence.

The po-co left.

But really, I'm over-exaggerating to make a point about the arrogance of sticking labels like these on people, even though they believe quite the opposite themselves, without bothering to explain it or justify it. I could call Gek-Opel a crypto-fascist all day, no different to his Lenin worshipping heroes, and he could call me a racist all day. (In fact, he often does). It's not going to get us anywhere, though.

swears

preppy-kei
HMLT definitely raised the bar in terms of provoking discussion, he made my poor lil' brain work overtime now and again. Yeah OK, some of his ad-homs were OTT but so is banning him for two months.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
I posted this last night and deleted it. But here...

I'd like to point out some things about this episode.

First, I issued this temporary ban myself but Woebot and the rest of the moderators subsequently reviewed everything and expressed 100% agreement with that action. It can be considered a collective action. I believe it also consistent with the rationale behind previous bans (including Padraig/HMLT's first one, which was permanent). Woebot may have said somewhere on the forum that there were to be no bans, but this was never relayed to the mods. Nor is that inkeeping with the history of Dissensus. We aim for minimal moderation but we don't stand for the abuse of forum members or the forum itself.

Second, being that I was away visiting family, I had much better things to do on Christmas Eve, day and Boxing Day than to mediate the idiot distraction that colonized the original My Fellow Americans thread. I'd have preferred to ignore it but for various reasons that became impossible.

Third, the rest of you were, for the most part (and wisely), either offline or only online fleetingly during this period. You may have missed the thread by HMLT which I deleted because its sole function (made obvious by its title, contents and placement in the wrong forum) was to attack another member in a visible and personal fashion. It is disingenuous to claim that HMLT was banned for a breach of the prevailing PC norms at Dissensus when the real issue (obvious if you cared to notice) was that anyone who debated with him or noted inconsistencies in his logic would typically be subjected to explosive rebukes that were often grossly insulting and fallacious in their personal characterizations. An honest discussion/argument/debate was too commonly impossible unless one played along and agreed. And, as in the My Fellow Americans thread, the result was usually the derailment of a thread in the service of a self-gratifying tirade masquerading as the vigorous application of theory to practice. Some of you have defended this. I think there's a bit of misplaced nostalgia here for k-punk's cold rationalist polemics in the early days of this forum. I don't see why abuse from someone well-versed in Lacan is more acceptable than it is from any other member.

Finally, some of you are questioning whether the forum can remain fair and healthy if we ban members, even temporarily. Past episodes have proven that giving people a short cooling off period can indeed help keep the place from falling apart. Somewhere on this thread it's been suggested that all members should take part in decisions to ban or not. Wouldn't that be a treat, eh? Just like Survivor. "Will HMLT's unMods round up enough support in the Thought forum to vote nomos off Woebot Island? Tune in." We do a lot as mods that goes unnoticed and often decisions have to be made between equally unpalatable choices. So we do our best. But the questions you need to consider are: why should we coddle those who abuse other members? and how many people will quit the forum out of legitimate disgust with both the offender and the moderators' apparent squeamishness about getting involved? Over the last 3.5 years, this forum has already lost some of its best contributors over this issue. (Also ask, why would someone keep coming back to a place that they deemed to be populated by idiots only to make a big show of telling them so? Benevolence?) Anytime the question of a basic standard of decency is raised someone pipes up about attempts to muffle the forum with a PC blanket, or pretends that we're being asked to carry on in false and cheery agreement - "can't we all just get along," etc. That's an ironic given that the issue now and in the past has been one of posters who unilaterally stifle open debate.

It's called Dissensus. Disagreement is built in from day one. No one has ever said otherwise. But at least argue honestly - e.g. don't call someone a Straussian football hooligan child molester because they've said your argument doesn't hold water. Quit with the flak and get on with it if you actually have a valid argument to make.

Consider this a belated statement on the banning and my last word on the issue.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Good post nomos, I read it last night and I definitely think you should leave it up.

crackerjack

Yes, agreed. I long since gave up reading HMLT's drivel (except when I was in the mood for a bit of abuse) and was happy to go on ignoring him, but the way he purposely sets out to derail threads with entirely self-indulgent diatribes (and tbh it amazes me how many people here think calling someone neoconnazionist racist contributes anything at all) was long past boring. And as for two months, well it's not like he ain't got form.

N

nomadologist

why don't you find a forum that doesn't ban and go there then?

Um. That post was like the message board equivalent of sticking your tongue out at someone and pouting.

It's not that I don't get why HMLT was banned, I just don't know if I think it's fair to ban him over a disagreement. I have no idea what the history people are talking about with his first banning was all about, so maybe that's contributing in some way I don't understand.

I just think the general tenor of the discussions here had been escalating for a long time due to the ideology-thumping that took over a lot of threads, and to blame HMLT entirely misses the point.

Plus, how can you "stifle open debate" on a message board? Everyone is free to post exactly when and what they choose.

N

nomadologist

Time to go and look up the word "fascism". Contra to the selection of rightwing nutsacks you voraciously consume Vim it does not simply= "someone with whom I strongly disagree."

Refusing to align yourself entirely and unequivocally with one or the other of the prevailing ideologies of our Empire is now tantamount to "fascism." Classic.

crackerjack

I just think the general tenor of the discussions here had been escalating for a long time due to the ideology-thumping that took over a lot of threads, and to blame HMLT entirely misses the point.

True, but that clearly had nothing to do with the reason for his ban. It's not the disagreement, it's the manner in which he expressed it. The evidence can be found in virtually every thread he took part in.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I have no idea what the history people are talking about with his first banning was all about, so maybe that's contributing in some way I don't understand."
Have a look for a thread called something like "my plan to destroy capitalism" and it will all become clear. Of course HMLT had a different name then but the astute will probably be able to work out which one was (allegedly) him.

N

nomadologist

Have a look for a thread called something like "my plan to destroy capitalism" and it will all become clear. Of course HMLT had a different name then but the astute will probably be able to work out which one was (allegedly) him.

Is this a twelve-point plan by any chance?

vimothy

yurp
Refusing to align yourself entirely and unequivocally with one or the other of the prevailing ideologies of our Empire is now tantamount to "fascism." Classic.

:mad:

Nomadologist please at least try to understand what is being written before posting.

Gek called me a racist; I called him a fascist. I'm not going to get into a long argument about why it's justified, because whether it's justified is irrelevant (and because I don't think you're actually capable of rational thought). My point is that it's equally inane / equally profound / equally insulting and we could go round and round like this for a long time.

Ah, forget it.

N

nomadologist

Incapable of rational thought, eh? If you have a rational explanation or justification for why you think Gek is a fascist, I'd love to hear it.

I understand perfectly why he called you a racist--anyone who wonders why can go read the Bell Curve thread. It stands to reason that anyone who thinks skin color and IQ are "scientifically" linked is a racist, by any definition of the term.

I think it's hilarious how so many people here seem to think "racism" only exists as manifested in hate crimes or overt, foaming-at-the mouth white supremacism. The problem with racism is that it is subtle and insidious as often as it's overt and obvious.